Letrozole

Mahjah
Mahjah Member Posts: 13
Hi, I've had my surgery, finished my radiation and now just started hormone therapy. What are people's experience with Letrozole? I've been nervous about starting hormone therapy because of all the side effects. I have depression and anxiety so a bit concerned the effect the tablets may have on that. 

Comments

• Mahjah
    Mahjah Member Posts: 13
    @Afraser I had a bone density scan and I have osteopenia. Taking vitamin D now. Thanks everyone for your replies. 
  • Spursy
    Spursy Member Posts: 14
    I tried letrozole, 29 tablets, too many joint and bone aches. Changed to Anastrozole, so far onto my 2nd packet, only hot flashes. Everyone is different so as Afraser said try it you can always change to another one. 

• Pommy8
    Pommy8 Member Posts: 135
    I'm about 1 half years of taking letrozole no issues that I know of.
    I worry about my bones but just have to wait and see.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,238
    edited May 5
    Take the drug, see how you go , you may get no side effects or  only mild ones.
    Definately have  a bone density scan and a full dental check up in case you have to take bone strenthening drugs.
    Tell you medical team as soon as you get side effects that are bothersome and keep  posting  in here there is a lot of experience and support.

• krisol
    krisol Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I’m new here.
    im started letrozole 1 month ago and I have middle joint pain specially in the mornings. I found that exercises help me a lot and I hope long term does not affects my bones. I hope will improve with the days until my body accept this medicine. Blessings for every one. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    Hi @krisol and @swerks ...

I'll ask @Mez_BCNA to move your post to 'newly diagnosed', so that you can each have your own 'history' on your own post and you can both fill us in with a bit more of your personal stories too xx

• GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 135
    I have to start Letrozole on Monday. I know that I have to take it every day at the same time. Wondering what time, you are usually taking it. Morning or night. Do you take it with your other regular medication? I was told by medical team that it really does not matter, but I would like to know what your experience is.   Thanks 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    I always take mine at night, right from the start @GorgyS - on my theory that it could work its 'magic' overnight .... and yes, I took it with my other meds. 

Keep your exercising up as much as you can, as I believe it really helps .... 

Take care & all the best xx
  • HelenlovesSnoopy
    HelenlovesSnoopy Member Posts: 113
    I'm about 4 months into starting Letrozole and my experience is similar to Arpie's - I take it at night (it makes me a bit sick if I take it in the morning) and I got into strength and resistance exercise  - mostly for my bone density -  but I definitely found the exercise improved the joint pain type side effects I was getting from Letrozole.  
  • GorgyS
    Thank you Arpie and HelenlovesSnoopy. That makes sense. My McGrath nurse told me that if I take it at night, I might manage the side effects better. I will also do my exercise in the morning, so taking it at night is the way to go for me too.
  • Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 194
    Hi @Gorgys I started my Letrozole today, I decided to take mine in the morning along with my calcium tablet, and see how I go. No noticeable side effects today, but I suppose time will tell. I'm taking mine with food, I don't like taking medication on an empty stomach unless I have to. I also had my first Goserelin injection last week as I'm pre menopausal, and no noticeable side effects so far. I was already getting hot flushes and they don't seem any worse. I'm keeping up my exercise, and back doing aqua aerobics again.
  • GorgyS
    thanks @Katie46. I am starting letrozole tonight. Just reading again the information about side effects. Better be prepared  ;)
  • KimR
    KimR Member Posts: 5
    I was on tamoxifen for 9 years and it took about 2 years for my body to get used to it. It stopped being enough now I have metastatic breast cancer, bugger! and have switched to letrozole. I have been taking it for 4 weeks and I have a headache and bone ache but I am hoping my body will adjust. I do take it at night. I am also on Ribociclib so who knows which side effect is which?