Newly Diagnosed - Radiation Side Effects?

Options

Comments

• WhiteLight
    WhiteLight Member Posts: 11
    Options
    So I met with my surgeon and my results were good. I see the Radiation Oncologist in 2 1/2 weeks. Is that when I will be told which creams they recommend or would it be better to buy Startexrt & MooGoo to begin moisturising before treatment begins? Any thoughts?
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,624
    Options
    Great news @WhiteLight

The actual Rad Onc Nurses will probably give you most info on the lotions/creams - tho ask your Rad Onc as well.  ;)   And definitely mention the Startexrt.

I am pretty sure I didn't start moisturising until I started the rads xx
  • WhiteLight
    WhiteLight Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you @arpie

I will wait & get the info from the Rad Onc nurses before buying it. :)
  • GinGin
    GinGin Member Posts: 111
    Options
    @cactusk @Julez1958 @WhiteLight
    Hi ladies, like to thank everyone sharing with me on how to use StrataXRT. 
    I just completed 15 sessions (3weeks ) of rads today. There has been no skin changes for me.The nurses who were not encouraging me to use StrataXRT was very impressed with my skin condition. And have told me to continue doing what I have been doing for at least the next two weeks.

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Yay 👏👏👏
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,624
    Options
    That is awesome @GinGin xx. I hope you can celebrate appropriately tonight - with a nice dinner & maybe some wine!  xx.  Well done xx

Interesting that the nurses weren't encouraging your use - but impressed with the results! Hopefully they will now start recommending it to other clients xx

take care

• GinGin
    Options
    @Julez1958😘😘😘
    @arpie, thank you 😊. hubby and I celebrated the end of active treatment with a nice lunch earlier. 
    The nurses kept saying MooGoo is good enough and produces the same outcome as StrataXRT. They also commented that StrataXRT is quite dear. But as I have already purchased StrataXRT before seeing the radiation team, I didn’t want to waste not using it especially it came highly recommended by a volunteer nurse who I met during my chemo treatment.

p.s. My radiation oncologist was supportive of me using StrataXRT though.
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Great thread- I had not heard of the product StrataXRT - although it’s too late for me, as I have already had my radiation therapy, this discussion will help someone else. 
     I was provided with a moisturiser and later a mix with lignocaine added because I developed a bit of an irritated rash that cleared after 2-3 weeks. 
  • Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Hi all, where do you get strataXRT from? I have radiation treatment next, starting sometime after mid May so I have plenty of time to order it. 
  • cactusk
    cactusk Member Posts: 57
    Options
    @Katie46
    Let me DM you - I have a discount code that I was given from my rad onc. I'll send you the reference number so you can get some $ off!
  • Katie46
    Options
    @cactusk thank you! 
  • SuzyS
    SuzyS Member Posts: 36
    Options
    I stuck with plain Sorbolene cream. I did try Moogoo before thereapy started but had a reaction to it. Never had a problem with sorbolene, slathered myself in it all the time.
  • GinGin
    Options
    @Katie46, great that you’ll have the discount code😉. Come back here if the centre where you are having rads doesn’t know how to use StrataXRT ( like mine!). 
    Another tip: my skin including my breast and nipple was extremely dry due to chemo. when I saw the rads nurse for consultation, they advised me to start moisturising before I start rads. So start moisturising to avoid dry skin especially in and around your breast🤞.
  • GinGin
    Options
    @Tri, anecdotally, seems that StrataXRT is used more widely in Perth, Brissy and Sydney but not in Victoria. And centres that recommend it will provide discount code to their patients.
  • Katie46
    edited March 15
    Options
    Thanks everyone 🙂 I've been using sorbolene during chemo as my skin was very dry, and I've also been using it on my scar since it healed. I tried Moo Goo, but it didn't suit me, I think it gave me a rash, but it could also just have been a chemo side effect. I have a mild rash from paclitaxel, strangely from my elbow to my wrist, and from my knee to my ankle, nowhere else 🤷‍♀️ I will ask my McGrath nurse if they use strataXRT in Darwin.