Newly Diagnosed - Radiation Side Effects?

Options
13»

Comments

• Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks @GinGin that explains how I hadn’t heard about it 
  • WhiteLight
    WhiteLight Member Posts: 11
    Options
    So I had my meeting with the radiation oncology nurse and she suggested QV cream, which fortunately I already use. So I will stick with that. I start 15 sessions of treatment on Weds this week. I know I will cope with it (I hope), but I'm not so sure about the listed side effects of aromatase inhibiters afterwards. :-( 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,383
    Options
    @WhiteLight

Don’t get too alarmed yet about the list of AI side effects, it’s a list of possible side effects, you may get some. I finished ten years of AI last May and I had none of the joint pain, aches or menopausal symptoms reported by many. I did have some side effects but managed them. Best to see how you go, don’t suffer in silence and discuss any problems with your oncologist. I was on the same AI throughout but often a change brings relief from troublesome symptoms. Best wishes for the next stage of your treatment. 
  • WhiteLight
    Options
    @Afraser
    Thank you for the reassurance. I think I'm concerned because I already have arthritis and I'm worried what AI will do to my bone strength. Would you mind sharing which AI you were taking?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,383
    Options
    I was on Letrozole throughout. What works for one isn’t always the best for others, I just wanted to note that some side effects aren’t automatic. What is very much worth checking is your bone density, as most AIs can impact density. I was lucky, at 67 my bone density was excellent, so I had some wiggle room. Letrozole has made an impact on my bone density (as undoubtedly has a decade of getting older!) but so far no osteoporosis. I am hoping for some stabilisation now I have stopped! 
  • WhiteLight
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I had a bone density test and my back is not as healthy as the rest of my bones. I will have a talk to the Rad One again and see what is best. Have you been doing weight bearing exercises to help with bone strength? That sounds very good that your bones are still strong even after 10yrs of AI meds.