Ways to lower cortisol.

Options
2»

Comments

• au0rei
    au0rei Member Posts: 248
    Options
    Cath62 said:

I was a people pleaser too. I had to look deeper into myself to see why so I could stop it. I still need to be mindful of it but I am aware of it. It's a continuous process. 

I am really pleased you brought up this topic. It's so important and I am sure is of benefit to many here. 
    Oh I am a people pleaser too... we wear so many hats and play so many roles.. it is really hard to be everything to everybody. Though it is wonderful to try to help whoever we can whenever and do our best, but I have learn to guard my own heart and health. I never knew how to say no for a long time... now I do... and I never learn to express myself and now I do it better. I am definitely not there yet as I still struggle so much especially now that I am experiencing menopause and the symptoms are hard to manage.. I am trying to take it slowly and not be impatient with myself.

• au0rei
    Options
    Exercise is really good and important. This video shares some amazing things about exercise which I did not even know until now. Hope it helps you lower cortisol too.

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Thanks @au0rei
    Everything I have read points to exercise as being helpful in coping with a cancer diagnosis ( mental and physical) and helping cut down the chance of recurrence.
    It doesn’t have to be a gym , whatever risks fie you, I do walking, swimming , Pilates and small weight and resistance training at home.
    I go to a walk every day and feel so much better for it.
  • au0rei
    Options
    Often for me life gets busy and I tend to let exercise take the lowest priority. I know in my head that exercise is good but knowing exactly how it benefits me gives me more motivation to prioritise it. I like to know the science of it, that's just me hehe.

So in this documentary, the scientist shares evidence that eg when we work out, our muscles produce myokines which can have anti-cancer effect. One of them is called Sparc and it actually targets any bad cells in the colon thereby fighting against colorectal cancer from forming. I found that mindblowing. I have never heard that until I watched it in this documentary. That sure gave me some motivation to exercise! :D

Another scientist shared the science of how muscle mass (especially for those of us who are are older) helps with insulin sensitivity. I only knew that exercise increases insulin sensitivity but never really know how it all works. As we grow older we lose muscle mass and having muscle mass (which can be maintained by exercise) helps with warding off diabetes.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    The old ‘use it before you lose it’ works too! For lots of things. 
  • au0rei
    Options
    So good that it can be 'use it and you won't lose it!' haha! I really see how even important our muscles are right now! And yes @Afraser even for our brains too! More women gets Alzheimer's Disease than men! And it is a killer that not a lot of people talk about. The early onset AD is now getting more common it is scary! We women really go through a lot! 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    Nevertheless we tend to outlive men. One of the key changes has been the massive reduction in women dying in or due to childbirth over the last century or so. Some thing do get better! 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,538
    Options
    @au0rei I recently watched a docuseries that talked about the importance of diet and exercise in warding off cancer and illness too. Like you, I’ve always known exercise is beneficial but it was explained so well in this docu that I joined the gym soon after 😄. I’m not a fan of the gym and have only been a regular once before I got pregnant, but have now signed up again. I’ve been trying to do other exercise outside the gym, but I think I’ll be more disciplined and consistent like this. I also recently bought a rebounder that I jump on about 10 mins a day, to help activate my lymphatic system. It’s time to get really serious about my health 😄😁. 
  • au0rei
    Options
    Afraser said:
    Nevertheless we tend to outlive men. One of the key changes has been the massive reduction in women dying in or due to childbirth over the last century or so. Some thing do get better! 

Oh wow I totally agree! How scary it was for women when science wasn't so advanced! :'(
  • au0rei
    Options
    FLClover said:
    @au0rei I recently watched a docuseries that talked about the importance of diet and exercise in warding off cancer and illness too. Like you, I’ve always known exercise is beneficial but it was explained so well in this docu that I joined the gym soon after 😄. I’m not a fan of the gym and have only been a regular once before I got pregnant, but have now signed up again. I’ve been trying to do other exercise outside the gym, but I think I’ll be more disciplined and consistent like this. I also recently bought a rebounder that I jump on about 10 mins a day, to help activate my lymphatic system. It’s time to get really serious about my health 😄😁. 

Ahhh so good to hear that! I used to use a rebounder too! I bought a BOSU recently. It's been fun trying to balance on it for a minute per leg. As we grow older we must work on our balance too! Do I sound like I am very old? Bahahahahaha...

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,538
    Options
    Haha there you go, another rebounderer 😃😃. The BOSU looks like fun. I might get one later on, if I can find the space for it 🤭. You’re not wrong about us needing to work on our balance. I’m 42 but my balance is atrocious. Hopefully I’ll fix some issues now that I’m a ‘gym member’ 😄😄😄.
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 882
    Options
    Reminder that the webcast 'Prioritising Me - Setting Healthy Boundaries' is on tonight (27 April 2023 - 7.00-8.00pm AEST). Head to the link to register https://kapara.rdbk.com.au/landers/3adfc6.html
  • Ella08
    Ella08 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2023
    Options
    What I’ve noticed and am enjoying after cancer treatment is that I’ve stopped over-committing and over-giving of myself and trying to do everything. I am doing four things only: working, exercising, seeing some people who are good for me, and a few activities like reading/language/a bit of study. Apart from having to do a bit of cleaning and shopping as well, that’s it! And it’s enough. I am also making firmer decisions for myself such as saying no to acting at a higher level at work, declining to answer my phone if it’s someone I know who’s going to drain me a bit, leaving social events early if I feel I need to etc. And I’m not wavering like I once would have. Cancer is serious business and I feel if there are any positives from it, it’s the way I am now living my life.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,132
    Options
    Hi @Ella08
    That certainly resonates with me - a life threatening illness certainly makes a person concentrate on what is important.
    I feel absolutely no guilt now saying no to things.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,607
    Options
    Well done, @Ella08 - we all need to set boundaries that suit US rather than family & friends & extended family & friends!  Wisdom comes with experience xx