Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

On herceptin and perjeta , stage 4 , itchy skin and now itchy scalp -anyone treated itch sucessfully

Options

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,381
    edited March 2023
    Options
    My itches come and go at random parts of my body but mainly my back, lower arms, lower legs and ankles/feet. I find the itches that have not yet appeared as bumps or welts respond okay to mother apple cider vinegar. They still itch but are bearable. I pickle my whole body after my morning shower. I smell sooooo good lol. The welts and bumps respond best to betadine ointment. Again, they still itch but are bearable. Might just be my mind telling me they are okay but I can live with that. Mine is also worse at night and on hot days but okay in the hot shower. I also find (weirdly) that when I wear socks the welts on my feet seem less itchy. I keep up the urea cream moisturiser as well so my skin is lovely and soft, just itchy. Oh yes, and they are getting worse.
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    Watch this space! Today my Onco agreed to drop the Perjeta as she saw the welts and was horrified. I will keep you updated on whether the itches subside. 
  • Opoho
    Opoho Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I’ve got the itches too. I take loratadine and use cortisone ointment. I’m also suffering from peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet. It was getting worse so we also dropped perjeta. 
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    @Opoho The cortisone and antihistamine wasn't working for me. When did you stop the Perjeta? I haven't had the PN this time around but the herceptin caused it in 2018/19. I am very happy that it has eluded me this time around. I found a manual lymph drainage massage helped me but it doesn't work for everyone.
  • Opoho
    Opoho Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Stopped perjeta two months ago. PN no better but no worse!
  • D_Tizzle53
    D_Tizzle53 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I would love suggestions to control the itch. Finished 18 rounds of herceptin and perjeta on 1st March  The itch is insane. I have welts all over both forearms. Im using loratadine, dexmethasone, promethazine, ice packs, steroid cream, moo goo and lipikar ar. Contacted oncologist - was told someone would get back to me in the next week or 2! Contacted breast care nurse - still waiting on a response. GP is booked out until Friday 12th May.
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    My itches are now eczema. Nothing works 100%. Aloe vera gel helps, needs to be reapplied every hour or so. Currently trying out EGO Eczema wash and lotion. So far it seems okay. Need to reapply a couple times then it lasts for a few hours. I have stopped the Perjeta but the eczema continues. Looks like I am stuck with it. I am on Herceptin long term. Let me know how you go.
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    Apparently .15% of people on Herceptin get eczema. "Lucky" me.
  • D_Tizzle53
    Options
    I finished Herceptin & Perjeta on 1st March & was told the itch should start to subside - it has worsened significantly. I take 2 antihistamines, dexmethasone. Apply novasone, moo goo msm cream & ice packs. I'm waiting to hear from oncologist or breast care nurse as nothing is controlling it & i am scratching until I bleed. It's horrible 
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    @D_Tizzle53 It is horrible and something that we are not told about prior to treatment. I have actually been told it wasn't the treatment and to go see my GP. Pfffft. I wish I could help but am in the same boat. I had a EGO QV Flare up bath yesterday, followed by the QV eczema lotion. I got five hours relief which was lovely. Then itch started again. I had a shower this morning using the QV wash, followed by the QV lotion again and at the moment I only have one itch on my belly. I tried all those things you are on with no success. I have increased my water intake and today I am going to up my probiotics as that is supposed to help. I will definitely let you know if I find success. Once again, for me, aloe vera gel is a reasonable short term solution. Sending big hugs. One other interesting thing, I thought my sheepskin boots would flare up my ankles, but it seems to relieve them ????????
  • D_Tizzle53
    Options
    @Blossom1961 it sure is horrible. I'm surprised your Doc said what they did as it is documented in the literature that it is a side effect. I have just contacted the oncology unit and the after hours number for my Oncologist. If i find out anything more I will let you know. Take care, Danni
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    Relief! The EGO QV Eczema body wash and body lotion is working.  I do the shower wash each morning followed by the body lotion all over. In the evening I smother the body lotion all over me again. Time consuming but so worth it. I had the occasional itch yesterday but not bad enough for me to need to scratch it. I can visually see the improvement in my rashes. They are shrinking and not as inflamed. I am hopeful it will last.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,608
    Options
    That's wonderful!!!  

I hope it keeps working for you, @Blossom1961 - as the itch is just so horrible & almost impossible not to rub or scratch, often to bleeding :(  
    Take care xx

• cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 723
    Options
    @Blossom1961 great news. Beside the anti histamine i use my grandsons eczema cream and wash. Its alway good when you finally find something that works. Now I don’t looked quite so much like a snake shedding its skin and red areas are completely gone. 
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    Options
    Just an update fter being reviewed by dermatologist . I did have a bit of dandruff , and apparently that yeast can cause seborrhoic dermatitis . Dermatologist has me on good anti dandruff shampoo ( nizoral 1%) daily for 7 days, then every couple of days. When foaming, spread foam over back and arms where the scaly bits are . They have definitely improved . I still have novasone lotion which I’ve used when itchy on neck and elbows (oddly, no scaly bits there and that’s where I itch the most now ). Itchiness has improved. She also said to use QV wash , and she recommended La Roche Posay cicaplast baume B5 moisturiser . 
    Learnt a lot about dandruff ! It’s a yeast , opportunistic skin issue .
    anyhow my skins better -I’ll stay with Dex on day of H&P infusions , and hopefully things will improve