The things that people say....

Options

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,301
    Options
    @Keeping_positive1 yes no 11 was just out there. 

Love the video you posted too. Thank you. 
  • colthul
    colthul Member Posts: 20
    Options
    'I've had lots of friends with breast cancer and they all had surgery before chemo. I don't know what YOUR doctors are doing!"
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    "You're not going to like hearing this, but there is a cure for cancer, and they are keeping it from you and everyone else."
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,388
    Options
    @Keeping_positive1

That one deserves a comeback! I’ve been lucky enough to have very few insensitive remarks made in my hearing, but spruiking insane conspiracy theories is a step too far! 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,543
    Options
    ‘Pity stare’ - 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣😂😂😂🤣 
    I laugh, but it’s the reason I haven’t told many people. 
  • Cath62
    Options
    Hi @Keeping_positive1 I get told that the pharmaceuticals can cure cancer but they keep that from us to make money 😀😀😀.

@FLClover i don't tell many people either because of all the silly things people say. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone xx
  • Keeping_positive1
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Cath62 my hairdresser said the same thing to me that they are keeping the cure from us, I replied even doctors and their relatives and friends get cancer, and if there was a cure they would know about it.  Then she asked what my thoughts are on euthanasia, I said I believe God gives us life and God takes it away, so I don't agree with euthanasia.  I didn't elaborate any further, then she said, she would want to be euthanised if she got cancer.  What the ??????   She knew I had chemo as she was the one who did really nice haircuts until my hair had grown out.  

I wanted to say I am sitting here listening to you talk crap LOVE, and I wouldn't be sitting here if they had euthanised me when I got my diagnosis of cancer. Then for good measure she threw in she wouldn't have chemo either.  Lol, who asked? Later I thought I should have said well perhaps all the chemicals used on peoples hair in here has afftected your brain, and you have been poisoned by the chemicals, but I didn't think of that then, only later.

We end up having very thick skin and broad shoulders and just have to let these comments be like water off a duck's back.  I get my haircut once a year now and just trim it myself in between, but I do still go to her and I can handle all the drivel and other conspiracy theories she may come out with.  She broke her foot last year, and I was tempted to say, I wouldn't have had all the x-rays, do you realize what damage the x-rays can do to your body, but I kept my mouth shut, and no I wouldn't really say that, but was very tempting.

I am really not sure why some people object to people getting treatment for cancer.  Perhaps next time I will say to them, well thank you very much, because you as a taxpayer have helped keep me stay alive because the Herceptin cost the government over $40,000 for me and that isn't including the chemo I had, so glad I am here for you to tell me I should have just dropped dead and not poisoned my body with chemo treatment (sarcasm).  I wish I really could say this to people and not have any problem holding back when they express their displeasure of people having chemotherapy.  

@arpie Borax!  Ahh, so that is the cure they are keeping from us, thank you I appreciate you told me.  Good I now know the secret cure. :)

@Afraser I wish I could think up comebacks on the spot, but I have a few tried and true comments in my arsenal that I may use in an all-purpose way.  :smile:
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,388
    Options
    I switched hairdresser just after my hair started growing back (my previous one moved miles away to a new salon) and chose one that advertised chemical light products and familiarity with post chemo hair! So I don’t get any of that nonsense! I know of no scientific proof that hair dyes etc cause anything, but I was keen to give my new hair as easy a run as possible! People can talk a lot of rubbish about what they would and wouldn’t do, because they really haven’t thought about it, but the conspiracy theorists drive me particularly nuts. I support voluntary euthanasia but it’s a personal and committed choice for those facing certain and painful death, not those who have the chance of recovery and a life, thanks to those awful, under-handed doctors and researchers, even if some if the treatment is hard going. In a pandemic particularly, the rubbish spouted by people with not a scrap of knowledge of science borders on the unforgivable. Sorry, rant over! 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Options
    @Afraser my hairdresser actually only does cuts, they don't do all the chemical light products, and I would do them myself, but my hair is natural blonde and the grey bits blend in, so I save myself heaps.  However years ago I did all the usual tips, perms, loved all that.  Nothing at all wrong with continuing on and I would if I felt inclined.  Yes, good we do have the preening and attention we want, so nice to treat ourselves.  Yes, no specific evidence on hair dyes, I didn't mean to suggest there is, but if she is going to go on about chemotherapy, I sort of wanted to tease and mention chemicals used in hair dyes.  Where does all this nonsense stop with people!   Drinking Borax!  Taking the pain and giving it to me and sending back a golden light or some such rubbish!  

I was asked my thoughts specifically about euthanasia, so I told her my stance on euthanasia, but I don't comment otherwise unless it is relevant and I am asked.  No problem re the rant @Afraser sometimes airing this nonsense helps us to not take those thoughtless comments to heart, not that you have, but at times I did, until I developed a thick skin, and was too tired and weak to do anything but smile back at the person sprouting nonsense.  
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,851
    Options
    Personally, I just look at these idiots with a blank look on my face.  I don't have the inclination or energy to waste my precious time with a response.  I then don't bother to increase their coffers with my business.  🤣🤣
  • Cath62
    Options
    Ffs @K_LeeB. How insensitive is that. People are amazing and just don't think before they open their mouths. 
  • K_LeeB
    K_LeeB Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi team,

Thanks for your comments, they've made me feel not so alone. I especially loved the bingo @arpie. I've had most of them said to me as I'm sure you all have. 

I wouldn't want even the most insensitive person to go through what we've been through. We're really very amazing at what we can physically and emotionally handle and especially how we hold our tongues (mostly) when people say dumb things.

Have a good day everyone.