The things that people say....

Options
K_LeeB
K_LeeB Member Posts: 6
edited December 2021 in Day to day
"I know just how you feel. My friend has been through that".

"You're lucky. Cancer will probably make you lose weight".

"Oh. Breast cancer? My mother inlaw died of that".

"I wish I had the chance of seeing how my hair looks when it's short like you do".

"If you need help, call me anytime. Just not on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Fridays between 10 and 3, and I'm not usually around on weekends".

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Ok, PLEASE tell me people didn’t actually say those things to you!! Pleeeaaasssee!!! Number 2 and 5 are especially fantastic, and should be noted as the best thing to say to someone with breast ca!! 😀🏆🥇👏🏻.
    I’m feeling a bit over it today (had annual U/S check) and I’m just going to say it in plain English: they’re imbeciles. No use of their brain whatsoever. An unnecessary weight on their head 🙄🙄🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    edited December 2021
    Options
    OMG ... some of them DO walk amongst us ....  we’ve had a few threads on stupid comments .... and there have been some SHOCKING things that have been said, some very similar to your comments @K_L@FLClover

5 is a real CLASSIC! xx

All the best for your scans, @FLClover

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Options
    We had another thread on this a few years back...I never read it whilst drinking tea of coffee, due to spraying beverage out of nostrils and onto the screen. I've had..."Well if you're going to get cancer, breast cancer is the best one to get because it's so high profile". Also..."Well maybe you can get a free boob job from Medicare". Also..."I suppose we all have to die of something..." Also had a few along the lines of.."My aunty had breast cancer...it spread everywhere and even ended up in her brain...She was totally demented in the end..shitting her bed and all. I hope that doesn't happen to you too". Then there's "Oooh that's horrible...how long have you got?"...the list (unfortunately) goes on and on.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Oh do tell @K_LeeB. I kept a list of these stupid comments. I posted some of them previously but here's a few for your amazement at how stupid people can be.

1.  Are you better yet,  get on with it! (said after round 2 with 11 rounds if chemo to go, plus radium to go)

2. Can't wait to see your bald head   ( said to me when diagnosed)

3. Show us your head ( said after I shaved it and to someone I had explained the sensitivity of the hair loss)

4. You will do something great like write a book after this 

5. My friend has there head around it and is going forward and I think you are getting your head around it 

6. I have seen lots of bald and shaved heads so it's ok to show me 

7. Like I said, eat, rest, sleep, walk, sleep, rest eat 

8. You will need to get you acceptance at the right time 

9. You really can't tell the difference in your boobs, I know because I have been looking and I can't tell. Maybe it is your bra. 

10. I just told.....(after I have specifically requested people keep my news private.)

11. I take away your shit and bring it into me because I can take it as i am stronger than you and send back instead golden healing light .
  • FLClover
    Options
    Yours are particularly bad too, @AllyJay 😳. Shockers, absolute shockers 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️😣😣.
     If you ladies don’t mind, I might use these for a book. I’ve been looking for an idea for ages 👀
  • FLClover
    Options
    Thanks @arpie! I was a bit freaked out at first because she checked both sides 2-3 times, then got the doctor to look as well 😳. The doctor said it looks good though phew!!! What a relief!!  😀
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,121
    Options
    Yes I have had a number of people tell me about someone they knew who died of it.
    completely lacking in empathy☹️
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Glad your ok @FLClover.

If you use any things said to me in your book please let me know. I was happy sharing here and if the comments said to me are used in a book I would want to know the context they are being used in and give permission for it if that's ok.
  • FLClover
    Options
    Haha no problem @Cath62. I’m not actually a writer, and the book is just an idea for now. It might not even ever happen. If it does though, I wouldn’t use anything without individual permission and explanation of its use. I just thought it would be a good read if someone wrote it 🙂. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Cath62 I can totally understand you wanting permission because your No. 11 was rather specific, what a cracker, although not funny really, if you get what I mean.  Here it is again for those that missed it.........

11. I take away your shit and bring it into me because I can take it as i am stronger than you and send back instead golden healing light .

Too weird.......... perhaps just tell that person to send you a $million instead, because the doctors are treating you with all the latest treatments available.  
  • Keeping_positive1
    Options
    At a birthday party an acquaintance who heard I had cancer said.... keep off the sugar, best you don't have any birthday cake.   
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    'Whats your prognosis?' from a complete stranger in a supermarket who's understanding of medical terminology was probably derived from watching soap operas. 'Better than yours, I suspect, if you keep asking questions like that.' 'Huh, what do you mean?'
    What is it about being bald that makes you public property?

• Keeping_positive1
    edited December 2021
    Options
    "My sister had breast cancer" and how is she now I asked... "oh she is gone now"

** Note to self don't ask questions.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Options

https://youtu.be/mKovm8HINjI

@FLClover have you seen this video before.

• FLClover
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hahhahhahaha @Keeping_positive1 yes I have 😂😂😂. Good to see it again though 👌🏻😄.

’A curry recipe’ 😂😂🤣🤣