What a time to find out you're not covered by HBF! And can I save my nipple?

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Bloody brilliant!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Wonderful news on both counts.  I was able to use my private cover in the public system, which got me a free TV. Lol. But I've had all my treatment even chemo using public services but still use private cover. No gap fees. I think the public does better with the support services than private seems to. 
  • KylieG
    KylieG Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes Primek I felt so much more at home after this visit to the public hospital!  I grew up using public and there's something comforting about it to me.  You have to wait, but if it's urgent, they'll look after you.

• KylieG
    Options
    Well I had the MRI and my appointment today and it's all changed- they say the cancer is bigger than they thought- it's 6.4 centimetres and previously they thought 5 cms.  So now they want to do chemotherapy for 4-6 months starting next week!  Can't say I feel ready for chemo but I guess nobody ever does.  I also found out today from the nurse (everyone forgot to mention this to me!) that the cancer is not responsive to oestrogen or progesterone but it is her2 receptive.  That was a surprise.  Anyway it's been a sad day for me, I'm feeling low about the prospect of chemo.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    @KylieG Are You hormone -ve and Her2+? That was my scenario. Three spots ranging from 1 - 4.2 cm plus a large spreading mass of haze that had cancer in it plus two node involvement. Chemo first for me then mastectomy and anxillery (node) clearance. It was doable but a shock at the time. Big hugs.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    All the best with the chemo, @KylieG - as @Blossom1961 says - it is doable.  I can only imagine how you are feeling right now.  xx  Big Hugs coming your way xx

• KylieG
    Options
    @Blossom1961 yes that's right hormone negative and her2 positive and two nodes as well. I'm hoping if it shrinks I don't have to have the full mastectomy but I guess that's to be seen!  Quite a road ahead that you've already been on! Thanks Arpie for the hugs!

• Blossom1961
    Options
    @KylieG Mine had shrunk enough for me to have just a lumpectomy but because of the huge mass which couldn’t be confirmed dead, it was best to remove the lot.
  • KylieG
    Options
    Oh, that might happen to me too I guess!

• Blossom1961
    Options
    One step at a time and you will get there. Don’t try to guess what will happen, just hope. My mass was obvious from before chemo so it was a no brainer that I would need the whole lot removed regardless of how well I responded to the chemo. As it turns out, the biopsy of my removed boob showed no living cancer but the two nodes were still active with cancer.
  • Ahnn
    Ahnn Member Posts: 42
    Options
    I wish you luck with your next phase of treatment.  I was able to go as public patient with my breast surgeon and the only difference was waiting an extra two weeks. The public system does prioritise cancer patients and i could not fault their support. Like you my pathology from initial lumpectomy indicated more extensive cancer and i decided on bilateral mastectomy. As my breasts were small to start with, and tumour close to nipple, i didn't consider nipple sparing or skin sparing surgery.  My surgeon said that can be a delayed reconstruction regardless.
  • shs14
    shs14 Member Posts: 146
    Options
    @KylieG
    I'm sorry you find yourself here. It's a scary rollercoaster to start with, but it sounds like you have had luck finding good people to help you navigate through this time. So important for your happiness and peace of mind. I've been public all the way through and have been treated with great professionalism, care and good humour.
    My cancer is Her2 positive too and the good news is that there are some great new treatments for this type of cancer which was not the case ten years ago. The bad news is that it means chemotherapy and a year of Herceptin but both are doable. I'm nearly out the other side, have finished chemo and halfway through radiation.
    If you have any questions I'd be happy for you to message me. I can point you to a great study being done on our treatment which is showing great long term results.
    Also there is a post on here in Tests and Treatments about the cold therapy I and others used during Taxol/Paclitaxel chemo that many people think helps you to avoid neuropathy side effects. I was lucky to come through with no lasting neuropathy using it. Its worth a read.
    Good Luck!
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Wow, @Patti J That's an incredibly uninspiring post.  Chemo is not like that for everybody. I am sorry if that was what you experienced but there are many people who get through chemo quite ok. Some people also keep their hair.