Feeling Lost

Options

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    You may find once you've got your treatment plan that there's a breast care nurse as part of the team. Mine was part of the surgeon's team.

Take care 
  • Ahnn
    Ahnn Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Like you i have found the diagnosis a complete shock and still haven't accepted that it is real. My recall for another mammogram, ultrasound  and two core biopsies took over 6 hours so i knew something was wrong. No symptoms,  no palpable lumps and regular yearly scans. I thought they were being careful. 4 weeks later bilateral lumpectomy for high grade DCIS and pending results of that on 19th. I wish I'd contacted BCNA before last week. So much support here to help you in this difficult period of waiting for scans and results 
  • Felicia29
    Felicia29 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    @Ahnn the wait is horrible. Coming here is the best thing I could have done. I'm going to keep myself as connected to support as I can. You will be getting your results the same day as I get my first biopsy results. I'll be thinking of you.
  • Ahnn
    Ahnn Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Good luck with your results too. Planning what happens next can give you back some of that control you suddenly lost. Breathe and remember we're all here for you in this journey 
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    @Felicia29 I googled McGrath Breast Care Nurses & you can put in your location & find one that is closest to you. There was only one in my region so it made it an easy choice. The website gave me her email address so I emailed her direct to introduce myself & told her my story. i also sent her ALL my pathology & doctors reports so she could see what I was dealing with & it also gives her a better understanding of the advice she can give you in treatment & a path going forward. As they are medically trained, they can decipher all the medical jargon so it's like having a free doctor/counselor at your beck & call. My nurse also offered to speak to my hubbie or any family member that may need counselling or had any questions so they do a really good job at not only helping you but your whole family. Good luck & it sounds like you are on to it now. keep in touch. love & strength xx
  • Anne65
    Options
    @Felicia29 That's the best news! She will be your new best friend & a help/support to your family & friends if they also need to speak to her. Ask her any question, silly or otherwise!! Email her through your medical/pathology reports when you get them so she has a good understanding of your type of cancer & treatment. 
    You are doing really well. So proud of you!! xx
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @Felicia29 So glad that you feel you're making progress in getting support gathered around you. Guilt and self-blame have no place in our lives. They don't help us and don't change anything. We just need to focus on the present and the future and put ourselves first at this time. 
    You've had excellent advice from the other ladies on here.
    I understand your desire to "put your affairs in order". I've done that - probably to extremes. My daughter can't believe I've done a slide show of photos for my "leaving drinks party" (it won't be a funeral!). But I want to save as much stress as possible for her and other people when the time comes, and I'm naturally super-organised. I told her she can add photos if she wants but not take any out! Like you, I've seen situations where people have made no plans (mostly as a JP) and it becomes a nightmare. And costly. I'm 20 months on from diagnosis and am feeling very positive about the future, but I need to have a plan.
    Whatever your treatment path ends up being, I wish you all the best. Accept offers of help and be kind to yourself. Keep asking questions of your medical team until you understand and don't agree to anything you're unhappy about. 
    I found the counsellors at the Cancer Council to be a great support, too, when I needed to talk about tensions between my children just before my surgery last year.131120.
  • Felicia29
    Options
    @KayB55 thank you. I will be thinking of you Monday as I head off for my results. A big day for both of us. I am slowly coming to grips with this new reality and yes, taking one day at a time. I think I have moved on from the guilt. It is what it is. I didn't cause it. And I have made some huge life changes in the last few months that are going to give me more strength and clarity moving forward. What a roller coaster.
  • Felicia29
    Options
    @Flaneuse it's good to know that I'm not the only planner out there. I've got a folder prepared, a list of questions and prompts that I hope are going to help, and a support person who asks questions for a living so I'm sure he will think of things I don't. Another step forward today.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Felicia29, thinking of you today

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Felicia29
    @KayB55
    @Ahnn

Just know that someone far away is holding all three of you in my thoughts and prayers for today.

The very best of warm Kimberley wishes to you.
    Annie
  • Anne65
    Options
    @Felicia29 GOOD LUCK for today. Sending love, thoughts, prayers & hugs your way. Glad to hear you have a folder of questions plus you have someone going with you. Tick, tick!! Write it all down or record it if you need to & ask all the silly questions. You are moving forward in this battle. Proud of you!  Love & strength xx