Single or double mastectomy

Options

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    @Belgrave14 The only reason I kept one side was because hubby was very pro me keeping one.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    You so make me laugh @AllyJay .  I would have loved to see the look on her face when you proceeded to explain your reasoning, xo
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    @AllyJay, I love your analogies.  They just bring it all to something understandable. 
    I didn't have to make that decision. I had a lumpectomy, then re-excision.  However, any recurrence or new tumour in either breast and they both go
  • Belgrave14
    Belgrave14 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Love the analogy @AllyJay, I might steal it at my surgeon’s appointment on Friday if I have to! My plan was to go down the mental health route if necessary. The psychologist I am seeing happened to be at the Multi Disciplinary Team meeting where my case was presented and told me that everyone in the room was pretty much going WTF at the speed and shock factor of my diagnosis so I will use that in my favour. 
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Options
    I opted to have a double mastectomy. My surgeon recommended single mastectomy but I insisted on having a double. They weren’t happy about doing it but I had to follow my gut and double mastectomy was the only option that made sense to me. Best decision I could have made for me. I have 2 small boys and I only plan on doing this once so threw everything at it. Chemo, radiation, herceptin etc... I’m not planning on going down the recon route at this stage. Couldn’t face another surgery at the moment and not sure why I would do it. My husband doesn’t care so not sure who I would be doing it for? I just want a healthy body and padded bras work a treat for me as was only an A cup before cancer! Good luck with your decision and just follow your gut! Xxx
  • Belgrave14
    Options
    Mt rationale is very much like yours @Igray so I am hoping the conversation with my surgeon is an easy one 😊 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    If they won't do what you want them to, whatever you decide that is, get another surgeon. Mxx
  • Belgrave14
    Options
    Well, appointment with my surgeon was today and my double mastectomy is booked for 1 August. It’s nice to have certainly. Not sure what I was concerned about as his only response to “I want a double” was to say he wasn’t surprised that was my decision. I’ve been feeling really low for the past couple of days but knowing I’m nearly on to the next stage of  this roller coaster ride cheered me up. Hope everyone else is ok this evening x 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Gawd, the ' like' button doesn't really cut it, but I'm glad you've decided on a course of action.

This shit is really hard and confronting. It's life changing stuff, but what choice do we really have? Everything is maybe, possibly, most likely... It's difficult to assess the evidence. In the end it's up to us to decide what we are willing to do.

Personally, I made a similar decision and don't regret it. Mxx

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Well done on making a difficult decision. Be gentle with yourself over the next six weeks. Big hug, K xox
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Well done, @Belgrave14.  The uncertainty is the worst but now you have made your decision you will breeze on through it.  Al the best for the 1st August.
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Options
    That’s great news, I always say go with your gut feeling. 
    Surgeons need to remember this is our body, we are not asking them to remove their tits......
    I probably feel like most people that have or had  BC , it’s almost as if your boobs become poison to you and you just want them gone to help, prevent this hideous disease coming back.
    Choice to have reconstruction or leave flat is a personal decision and only you can make that choice.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery I’m sure it will run smoothly.
    Keep is updated.
    Sending hugs your way xoxo 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I had a mastectomy on the left. I was never offered a double. I had to wait 2 years before reconstruction. It was a long wait, but reconstruction has been the best decision I have made. I hate mammograms, but i love having some sensation in the right breast and the appearance of being myself again. It’s been about 4 years so far and i’m happy with the results. I can totally understand why some women have them both removed. The issue for me at the time was increased pain and looking back drainage tubes on both sides must be a nightmare. 
  • JennyD78
    JennyD78 Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Congrats on your decision @Belgrave14 (and I'm glad the surgeon didn't hassle you).  I too had both removed even though the cancer was only in one, and decided on no reconstruction.  I'll also be getting fully tatted up at the end of the year B) .  The drainage tubes weren't that bad for me, you'll just be sleeping on your back for a fair while.  All the best for your surgery xo