Cancerversary

Options

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Same with me @hendrix.  When I was called in for the ultrasound, the girl was trying to chat cheerfully to me while I was already planning how to tell the family and what I was going to do about telling them at work.  After the doctor spoke to me and said it was all okay (they couldn't get the previous scans from Breastscreen so she couldn't compare), I burst into tears and the girl who was doing the scans apologised profusely - she knew what I was thinking and that it was probably okay, but she's not allowed to say anything.
  • Hendrix
    Hendrix Member Posts: 324
    Options
    @Sister I was trying to turn around and look at the screen when she walked out to compare last ultrasound...but couldn’t cause she had me in a odd position lol
  • Sister
    Options
    It is 2 years, @kmakm so a milestone to be relieved about.  
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Sister and @kmakm
    I think of you ladies together. In December 2017 I had just found the network after completing radiotherapy following lumpectomy and chemo; all 'kicking off' in May 2017.  In December 2017 and January 2018 you were in the thick of things I think

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Sister
    Options
    Mine was today!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,593
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Well done @Sister and @kmakm on your 2 years clear!  My 2 year diagnosis cancerversary is in 4 weeks today! ..... tho I have had the 'all clear' from the Rad Onc last week (delayed due to the fires) - and now don't see the surgeon til Feb 2020 for the official (hopefully) all clear.

Well said @kezmusc - yep - I knew it was bad news too before I got there ..... I'd already pre-booked an appt (knowing the results would be in the early new year & wanted to make sure I could get in!) So I was out in my kayak & got a call from the GPs office asking me to make an appt - and I told them I already had .... and they apologised for not checking!  So I knew.
    I hope your little soap opera settles down soon so you can grab the reins & get back into it full bore again! 

Never a dull moment, eh?  I think I joined BCNA about the same time as my surgery.

I must admit tho, since taking the magic oil - I am no longer as aware of the side effects of my AIs 24/7 and am sleeping much better too, tho occasionally it sneaks thru - so don't be afraid to give it a go.  Back when I started, the aches & pains were really bad - even affecting my ukulele playing & was not much better with the 2nd lot.  I am now on my 3rd lot.  Anyone wanting more info on it - just PM me.

All the best, ladies xxxx

• Sister
    Options
    To follow on from the earlier comments, while I realise how fortunate I have been that the cancer was found, it's a damn hard road at times, coping with treatment and then the side effects of AIs.  The thing that I am struggling with most at the moment is that my resilience is in such a fragile state, and I know that the scanxiety and cancerversary probably feed into this.  What I didn't take into account during active treatment was that when real life resumes, the rest of the crap is still there and you just add the delights of BC and it's associated baggage on top.  Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been posting much lately.  I'm still reading things and I love you all but composing posts is mostly a little beyond my brain and energy levels at present. 

I suspect that this may be a new feature of life post-BC where the only option is to slog through, trimming non-essential services, until things are resolved and mental energy is restored (slightly).  That's my strategy, anyway - if it takes too much and it doesn't need to happen, off it goes.  I won't say I'm okay but I am surviving and dealing with one thing at a time (just wish life would stop adding more!).

So, happy 2 years to us!  And for me, hopefully normal transmission will resume shortly.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options

@Sister
    You sound very fatigued from it all!  Hopefully the joy of the festive season, break from work, time with family and allowing the crap of life to sort of wash over will help you relax into who you are!  It does get better but it takes time!  
    Take care and best wishes
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Congratulations @Sister.
    Lots of anniveraries at this time of year isn't there?  

I get what you mean.  You're so focused on getting back to "normal" that I think we put life before BC on a higher pedestal than it probably deserved. Unless, of course, you happen to be fantastically rich, famous and tripping all over the world.  The bills were still there, work as well, groceries and housework had to happen,kids to look after blah. 
    I did ponder that often.  How good was it actually?  Was it all I was amping it up to be. Sure, I wasn't sore, overheating every 2 mins (add in multiple side effects here).  Nor did I think about death as often, but the mundane and boring daily life stuff, that hadn't changed at all.  That's pretty much when I quit wanting old normal back.
    I do so hope it starts to get a bit easier this year for you and that santa spoils you rotten.  You deserve it lovely.
    xxoxoxoxo

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    What a lovely post @Anne65.  Just beautiful.
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    @Beryl C. I remember coming out of hospital on 22nd Dec '17. Walking very gingerly & clutching my pink pillow for comfort. The 2 hr drive home was uncomfortable but so nice to be home. I was struggling to do anything, my hubbie doing everything for me. As Christmas day approached, i wondered what to do as both our families are in Adelaide, 2 hrs away. I chose to go as we had planned pre-cancer so the long journey begun with me still clutching my pink pillow. To be around my family was important as they had given me so much love & support during the last month. I guess I wanted & needed to be around those who had gotten me through. Like you, it is a time of wonderful memories of how supportive & loving a family can be. xx