Aromasin and weight gain, now I know Im not going mad...

Options

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    It just keeps giving! I'm tougher than most! I still haven't cried over the diagnosis and won't but that's me! 
    Maybe I will laugh in a few weeks about this post when I am over this hurdle of radicular pain

I appreciate it's dark humour but at present it's just not funny
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    My sense of humour is, in circumstances like the current, replaced by a sense of the ridiculous.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @primek isnt it depressing? No amount of exercise changes anything whilst on this medication. Ironic isnt it if they put you on a medication that defaults and keeps the weight on and then they say more weight equals recurrence...so why give this AI makes no sense. Stay on the meds but hey keep the weight down. I did exercise and was a size 10 and still had a recurrence.  Guess they figure now oh well stay on the AI that will save me from another lol who knows so many contradictions and hypocrisy. 
  • melclarity
    Options
    @iserbrown hope you are doing ok, being in crippling pain is so hard. Hugs xo 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I have put on weight round my belly, butt and thighs after chemo and then being on tamoxifen for 8 months - never had a gut like this.  @sister - I’m sort of similar to u - I HAVE put on weight but my clothes still fit - very strange. Only 9 years to go!!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @melclarity thanks for asking!  Situation same, intensity has dropped but...….
    Since being on Aromasin the bone pain is still with me but otherwise I find it manageable.  See Oncologist in April for review!  I am hoping to settle into it as this is my third aromatase inhibitor
    Weight is always an issue on these damned treatments! 
    Beautiful weather here today!
    Take care
  • melclarity
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel yes Im the same, weight has gone around my middle and thighs :/ this was all after chemo. Though I had a recon that entailed a tummy tuck!! I am still a size bigger thanks to chemo, the meds and menopause. The combo is diabolical and none of it is told to you prior to all this treatment, but they expect you to get on with it? be thankful but they forget for most people the treatments that are given are for prevention. So how about  start talking to the public about this effects so we can be ahead of things with knowledge and foresight. I guess I say this personally as 1st diagnosis I was overtreated, in hindsight I wish I hadnt done radiation it made no difference. The problem is the Oncologists do not want to know about the aftercare and its a major issue for most...they need to start addressing. They havent walked in our shoes and they don't know the compromised quality of life. I never talk of it really...but bit sick of these so called 'professionals' shrugging it all off like we are whinging? Im thinking of switching for the 3rd time now to Letrozole as that is not a steroid, and I may have more hope with exercise and diet to get some weight off!!! GRRRRR! sorry for the rant...but people need to be aware of the reality of it all.

@iserbrown lovely to hear from you, I can't imagine what you are going through and how you are managing to navigate it. Some hope if the intensity has dropped even slightly? Yes look I agree I too can manage with the Aromasin, I find working exacerbates it all though and have to put my feet up when I get home and sleep for 30mins, its so hard and nobody knows. 
    Gorgeous day here too :) am loving the cool nights and mornings and warm days. Take care hopefully some more changes for you slowly. Hugs
    xx
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    @melclarity. Unlike my experience with Tamoxifen, I do not seem to be putting on weight with Letrozole. I have been taking it since October, last year. The only noticeable side effect is hot flushes. 
    I have lots of energy. No aches or pains. 
    I also take Palbociclib. It lowers my white cells. 

• melclarity
    Options
    @Patti J that's interesting and Im actually thinking the same thing to be honest. I put on more weight switching from Arimidex to Aromasin absolutely, so I think I'll ask him for the switch immediately. I dont seem til July but I'll email and let him know my research uuugh. Yes I too get hot flushes with a vengeance, since chemo, theyre still really bad, but I dont really talk of it lol. Oh yes ive heard of Palbociclib.

Thanks for that, I'll definitely follow it up. xx
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    Isn’t it amazing how differently we all react to these drugs!!  I’m happy it has been cooler in Sydney the last few days - great for my flushes xoxo
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I agree - most of the health professionals really aren't interested in the side effects that our meds force onto us, or just don't care  ..... and it isn't fair on us.  

Yet, they are addressing the side effects on men who are on hormone blocking meds - but not women!  They are the same side effects that we have!

HELLO????  DON'T WE MATTER????  2nd class citizens, obviously!

Yes @Kiwi Angel - I had a wonderful sleep last night - and even had a light cover on as well as the sheet (instead of kicking everything off as other nights!!)

Funny, @melclarity - I started on Letrozole, went to Exemestane/Aromasin and am now thinking of trying Tamoxifen!

Take care ladies  xxx

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Don't you know @arpie that we're just hysterical, screechy women - can't really take us seriously.  (Yep - been reading too much Clementine)
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @SisterLOVE Clementine. Full on woman crush. She is a goddess of truth telling.
  • msg132
    msg132 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi All , lovely reading all your messages- I was diagnosed last year by accident. Had lumpectomy - radiation- Latrozole and Zoladex injections- shifted last month to Tamoxifen. I need to lose weight as my knees are crying with extra weight. I started Intermittent fasting and it worked while I was on Latrozole and zoladex but now on tamoxifen it doesnt seem to work. It is frustrating and I was hoping that I can put the weight off but I want to eat all good things in some moderation after this diagnosis and still mange to lose weight. I am thinking of re starting my F45 2 days a week resistance classes. I have been walking everyday but My stamina has taken a huge hit!! I get this "a truck hit me" feeling out of the blue and have to take a break- find it very depressing that body and brain both are affected by fatigue...that leads to some naughty eating...its a cycle now .Any tips/motivation for eating well and exercising well? 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @msg132, It's hard isn't it! We're motivated, but can't stop that fatigue truck when it hits. I like the sound of re-starting your resistance classes. At my Seniors' Exercise group which is still on Covid 19 hold, we use resistance bands. Does your group use those too? Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW