I've joined your crappy club!

CatRM
CatRM Member Posts: 12
edited January 2019 in Newly diagnosed
Hiya all! I'm a 38 year old (haha still in the young women category!) mum to four darling girls aged 5 to 12, and wife to a much beloved man. Crossfit addict. Newly diagnosed with early breast cancer after my Dr messed up her ultrasound referral form and instead of just checking an existing (benign) lump, the sonographer figured he may as well check the left breast cos 'Why not, we have the time?' and bang, hello stinking, freaking cancer!! Surprise!! But thank God for my Dr and her 'Well why not check both breasts?' attitude. Will need a masectomy, not sure about rads yet. Have loved reading the forums here, love the black humour, keep it up ladies! 
Tagged:

Comments

• TassieGrandma
    TassieGrandma Member Posts: 11
    Sorry to hear that you have joined our club, but it is the best place to find advice and shared wisdom. Sometimes mistakes can be to our benefit! Good luck as you begin your journey.@CatRM.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    That's the days when you believe somebody is looking out for you. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Wow!   @CatRM - Sorry to see you here - it is not the best club to join .... but we are all members!  It is definitely the best place to be for up front honesty and assistance.

What town/city are you from?  We may have members there to point you to resources that are available to you?

The humour gives us well needed laughs now & then .... feel free to add your own  xx

All the best for your ongoing treatment.  xx  Make sure you take a trusted buddy with you to your Health meetings and record them for later use - it is easy to forget what goes on 'in the stress of the day.'  xx

In the mean time - try & keep busy - do what you love doing whilst you can do it - it keeps both body & mind busy, which is a good thing.  Mind you, with 4 girls to keep in order, that'll keep you busy!!  There is a 'Young Women' group you may like to join and lots of our members have kids, so can help you with any concerns you may have there xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi @CatRM. Well that's a bloody bugger but thank the gods for your sonographer! It is indeed a crappy club, but I hope you find this forum a supportive and helpful place to be.

I'm a mum to four kids; keeps you busy eh? Have you told them yet? How's everyone coping? Big hug, K xox
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Yep, @catrm at times it feels like we are on the ship of the damned, but it has a very fine crew.
    Good luck with your mastectomy (there's one thing none of us thought we'd have to call our own) and fingers crossed that rads will do the trick. MXX
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I'll add my welcome, too.  It's a bitch but far worse if you hadn't found it.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Hi @CatRM,   Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have to be in this club that just keeps giving. Any questions at all just fire away and some of our lovely ladies will be able to answer or if you just need a laugh there are some good threads which you have obviously found.    Good luck with the Mastectomy.  xox
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Welcome CatRM, this is a club that none of us want to be in , you will find so much support and information on other people’s journeys here that might be of some help.
    Ask away any questions you may have and you will get responses of people that can help you.
    As you would be aware we are not all the same with our diagnosis but we all feel the same.
    This has come as a massive shock so hang in there one day at a time.
    Ask away
    Sending cyber hugs xoxo 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Hi @CatRM and welcome to this loving, caring and supportive place. As you have obviously found, we are all a bit warped. However, I could never have done this whole BC thing as well as I have if it wasn’t for these crazy people. I am glad you found us because This is THE place to be. Come for a laugh, a cry, a whinge, some understanding or some advice. We also give hugs happily and freely because we ‘get it’. 
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Hello@CatRM and welcome. Please don't hesitate to call the BCNA Helpline for any information or support. We have cancer nurses available Monday- Friday to speak to on 1800 500 258.
  • CatRM
    CatRM Member Posts: 12
    Thanks all, feeling very welcome!! 
    @arpie I'm in Heathmont, VIC. Discovered that 2 other school mums (young women too) have been diagnosed over Christmas...not cool! But I guess at any school you'll find a bunch of us hey :( 
    @kmakm Busy indeed! Yeah we told the kids the day we found out. My oldest stood up with her pointer singer in the air and yelled 'I knew it'! Lol. She was suss after my ultrasound 'It'll be fine', then my biopsies 'It'll be fine' then the appointment my husband went to with me 'It might be fine...'. They are coping pretty well, we've assured them it's very treatable, and I've not been weeping around the house or anything so that might help too. Time will tell!!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    Hi! Slow to read this post as I thought to myself what's crappy?
    See you're in a quandary!  
    It's not a place any of us want to be but here we are, helping out where we can along with the odd laugh or two!
    Since you're Melbourne based here's another resource that you may find helpful. They introduced me to reflexology 
    https://counterpart.org.au

And from BCNA a group that may suit you

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women

Best wishes as you settle in to it all

Take care 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Cat I have PMd you. K xox