Immune System

Options
Sweetpetal
Sweetpetal Member Posts: 29
edited December 2018 in General discussion
Asking the question here as I'm hoping for a positive answer.  At what point is your immune system the lowest during chemotherapy.  I work in a hospital and would like to keep working for as long as possible for my mental health but I also don't want to bugger with my health.  Thanks

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    The general view seems to be that people feel worse in the first 3 -5 days but that doesn't actually answer your question and the answer may be highly variable even if people have the means of knowing about their immune system, not just how they feel. I am all in favour of working through if you can, but toileting, nausea etc have to be considered for your colleagues as well as yourself. Perhaps a question for your medical team? Best wishes. 
  • Ellie_Goli
    Ellie_Goli Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I saw this in eviQ website. 

https://www.eviq.org.au/patients-and-carers/patient-information-sheets/3098-infection-during-cancer-treatment

"When can I get an infection?
    The biggest risk of neutropenia and infection is 7-14 days
    after each chemotherapy treatment but you can get
    infections at any time."
  • Sweetpetal
    Options
    Thanks @Ellie_Goli
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Hi @Sweetpetal  I was on TC and got told day 7 to 10 was when my immune system was lowest.  Although I felt worst from day 3 to 9
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Same @kitkatb
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    If in doubt, don't go out - or at least without a face mask & using dettol (or similar) hand cleaner ...... and try not to wipe your nose or eyes.  Sadly, hospitals can be unhealthy places to work in!  I worked at RNSH in Sydney for many years in the 80s & I'd never been so sick in my life!  I caught all the flu's and bugs that were out there!   :( 

My hubby had blood tests prior to each set of chemo back in 2010 - and only once did it go so low that he couldn't have it on the preferred date.  I just made sure no-one came near him with a sniffle - & definitely no kiss & cuddles with visitors!  

You may notice a pattern .... but definitely ask your Onc Team as @Afraser suggests, to be sure, to be sure

All the best for your treatment @Sweetpetal  xxx
  • Sweetpetal
    Options
    Oh @kezmusc thank you so much I needed the reassurance. I only work part time and I will be being extra careful. I cannot explain how much this has helped my anxiety in just a few minutes you are a star