Diagnosed IDC...

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Newly Diagnosed.

Comments

• Trussy
    Trussy Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi forum
    I was diagnosed with IDC 2weeks ago after finding a small breast lump. I had a double mastectomy 6days ago and the histology shows it also had an aggressive papillary cancer in it to. Unbelievably this has not spread to my lymph nodes which in more than 80% of these cases it does. They have suggested Chemo to me so i see the oncologist tomorrow. This has been a whirlwind of a few weeks. Its lifechanging! I'm finding it comforting to read other peoples stories and experiences, thank you for sharing. Tracy xx
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Posted by Arpie September 16 2018

Sorry to see you here, @Trussy - but you're in the right spot for support & friendship by those who've been thru it.

Great news that it has not spread to your nodes - that's a bonus.  I hope you are recovering from your surgery OK without too much discomfort - small oblong pillows can lift your arms & make it a tad easier to sleep .... some Breast Care nurses supply them.  I bought mine.  

Just take it easy, one day at a time .... do stuff 'as you are able' and I hope you have a BUNCH of family & friends supporting you at home.  If they can cook some meals for you, that is a real bonus too.

Have you requested your 'Journey Kit' yet form BCNA?  (See link below)  There is a lot of really helpful info in it - how to deal with children & others re your treatment - a great diary for recording everything from expenses to your thoughts ....

If you have ANY questions (even if you think they are trivial) whack them up here & someone will answer!  ;)  

All the best with your Onc meeting tomorrow - it is a good idea to have someone else with you for moral support & also a 2nd set of 'ears' - they may pickup on some things that you may miss, as your head will be a whirlpool of information just now.  I even recorded my early meetings on my phone, so I could go back & listen again later!  (Not that I have!!  But they are still there!)

All the best for your ongoing treatment xx

And some info on Navigating the online community here:

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from 9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Trussy I had IDC too which was diagnosed in January this year after being told 3 years earlier that it was benign  :(. Luckily after lumpectomy, partial mastectomy and then full right sided mastectomy and auxiliary lymph node removal they got it all. My oncologist gave me the option for chemo to “mop up” and cells as if it did come back we wouldn’t be looking at my treatment being curative so I went ahead with it. I’m also now on tamoxifen for the next 5-10 years with luckily few side effects so far. I’m 3 1/2 months post chemo and just getting back to myself. We are all here for you day or night (there is always someone on the night howlers thread if u can’t sleep). Great source of advice, support and many a laugh here. Good luck with your chemo and I hope your oncologist appointment went well xo