CAN at 40. DO at 45 - Awareness Campaign

12346»

Comments

• JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    @arpie,... no removal of posts as far as I know. I have kept it quite polite as I want to still be able to spread the word of availability from 40 and not be banned from their site.
  • JennyD78
    JennyD78 Member Posts: 69
    I was interested to see BreastScreen NSW post the other day about a particular initiative in Parkes to encourage Indigenous women to get screening...from the age of 40.  I cheered very loudly but do wonder why they can't just extend that to all women.  It's literally changing a number on all their social media post templates.  Doesn't sound so hard to me!
  • JJ70
    Hi @JennyD78 . The indigenous initiative I applaud too. BSWA has something similar and it is to try and encourage more indigenous women to screen (notoriously low numbers per population) PLUS Indigenous women are very UNLIKELY to have dense breast tissue therefore making mammography 40-49 more effective in picking up BC for them.

There is more to it than first meets the eye re: advertising from 40. It would cost tge government a lot more $$.... as more women would attend if they knew a) the prevalence of this disease in 40-49 year olds ( at least 20% of all cases) b) they knew it was available. 

Seems to be up to us to spread the word. The gov are not going to.
  • JJ70
    edited June 2019
    If anyone wants any campaign cards let me know through private message. I can post!

We also have tshirts!! :D
  • JJ70
    I have just uploaded this letter again (minus my address and private details - thanks @Giovanna_BCNA - totally overlooked that!). It is in response to BSNSW letter sent to me regarding why they do not advertise FREE mammography from 40. (This was stimulated by me commenting on all their 50+ FB posts) that you can find going back through this discussion. The reply letter from Sarah McGill (Medical Director of BSNSW) succinctly says - bugger off! (In my humble opinion)
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Love the T-shirts @JJ70!

• Patti J
    I need a catchy phrase for a T-shirt to get everyone to cough into their arms.
    I don't look sick but I have very low immunity.
    Maybe if I  had had mammograms at 40, this might not be the case!
  • Patti J
    I have just been onto the Breastscreen N.S.W. website.
    It is lovely that the pictured women were able to have their cancers detected. They are all obviously 50+. 
    Some of us are not so fortunate. Where are our stories?

• JJ70
    @Patti J at what age were you diagnosed?
  • Patti J
    You have my story @JJ70 😊.
    I found my cancer myself when I  was 47. You could see and feel it through my skin.

• JJ70
    I didn't make the connection.
    Your BCNA alias of @Patti J doesn't help me....clue?
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    edited June 2019
    .....There is more to it than first meets the eye re: advertising from 40. It would cost the government a lot more $$.... as more women would attend if they knew a) the prevalence of this disease in 40-49 year olds ( at least 20% of all cases) b) they knew it was available. ....

Wouldn't earlier detection equate eventually to less Gov expense (Medicare etc) with the more invasive treatment expenses, as the BC being found later would be in a more advanced state?

BSNSW's latest 'advert' is of a 50 year old women with BC detected just 2 months after her 50th birthday, who required a full mastectomy.  That  obviously means, she already HAD the BC whilst in her late 40s - and by being screened earlier, it may have just required a Lumpectomy, not a full hysterectomy!
  • JJ70
    Exactamundo @arpie - I will re-phrase. The government are short-sighted and THINK it will cost them more.

Re: woman diagnosed 2 months after her 50th - yes, that is why I always write 'at least' 
    40-49 stats are currently recorded at 20% -  this is a false low. All the ladies who go at 50-52/3 and get a positive diagnosis were (highly likely depending on stage and type) growing that cancer in their late 40s,
    Current stats for women 50-59 is 23% - so I reckon it is a pretty even race (considering we'd have to take a few off the 40-43 end and those stats go into the 30s)

The mind boggles....
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    edited June 2019
    Sorry - read 'mastectomy' not 'hysterectomy' at the end of my previous post!  DUH!

Definitely very short sighted of the Govt &  BSNSW to not advocate more openly for 40-49ers & 75+ to be screened ..... it is totally obvious that those diagnosed at 50+ have had the cancer growing for some years to get to a 'detectable size', often at a much worse staging. 

They are Just being thrown under the bus - with scant regard for their health & well being, when their BC SHOULD be picked up earlier  :(   It is medical negligence by omission!  
  • berry
    berry Member Posts: 71
    you have to feel sorry for people and immediate female relatives with lobular cancer