CAN at 40. DO at 45 - Awareness Campaign

Options

Comments

• JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Options
    Hi at @Eli86
    There is definitely a lot of information on BSWA website about eligibility from 40. It is one of the best websites (amongst the state and territory BreasrtScreens) with eligibility information. (NSW is absolutely appalling in comparison).

Good news too about the booking online. That is changing this month!! They are launching it as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October) It is one of the things I was going to push for when I meet with them as part of the Consumer Reference Group, but they were already onto changing it. Only VIC, QLD and now WA allow women under 50 to book online.
    You might feel better knowing that as you found a lump, BreastScreen would not have been able to accept your booking.  It is very important women with symptoms get diagnostic screening that focuses on the areas of concern, usually followed with ultrasound or MRI. BreastScreen is not a diagnostic service. It is a population screening service to detect lumps that have yet to be found - unnoticed ones. So yes, you would have been ineligible and still would have had to go private.

I understand the anxiety of that time between knowing their is a problem and yet to find out the full extent of it. It is an awful time, where the diagnosis can morph into something bigger all the time, as mine did. One tumor of 2 cm - turned out to be 3 tumors. Initial lumpectomy and radiation, turned into mastectomy and chemo.

Perhaps this explanation may modify your feelings of being let down by BreastScreen.
    Here is the link regarding screening mammograms. If you look on the site, they explain clearly about eligibility and reasons.

http://www.breastscreen.health.wa.gov.au/Breast-screening/About-screening-mammograms
  • Eli86
    Eli86 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Hi @JJ70, thanks for all the information and I’m really pleased to hear they are changing the online booking system.  The Google “Book Now” link would be a primary access point to the BSWA site for many younger women and being upfront about their eligibility will not only lead to an increase in early screening, but I believe will also lead to much greater awareness of risk for 40-50 year olds.
    I only became aware BSWA was available to this cohort after you began Can at 40. Do at 45. and it prompted me to go back to their site and look at more than the booking page. 
    I also didn’t know the service isn’t available if you’ve already found a lump - this false assumption formed because my GP told me to book a mammo at BSWA to get my lump checked. So maybe some education about what the service does, as well as promoting the age of eligibility may serve BSWA well. Better awareness of their core activities and client eligibility would only assist them in meeting their KPIs and ultimately reduce the impact of BC through an improved target model. 
    It would also stop people like me posting ignorantly critical posts! 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Eli86 It's all @JJ70! I'm just a sounding board from time to time. K xox
  • JJ70
    Options
    Hey @Eli86. The problem with confusion around screening still exists for women 40-49 because the government target age is 50-74. There is little to no promotion of screening this age group around the country and therefore limited education about the stats (eg: 20% of BC's found 40-49) and the controversy over breast density and how to (or even if to) inform women continues.....
    Yes, I am hoping the book online system upgrade will mean more younger women will choose to be screened in WA.
    Your GP should know this basic info about BreastScreen - that they are a screening service not a diagnostic service. It really is a basic thing for a GP to know. The wide and great diversity amongst GP's responses to screening women 40-49 is mind blowing. Some actively discouraging screening, others with lack of knowledge (just look at yours!) and others that are onto it and advise or at least inform women of their eligibility from 40. 
    BSWA have a great GP connected with their service who provides regular screening mammography workshops and education for other WA GP's. There are lots of liaisons, presentations and trade booths at events (some 10 or so over May-August for example)  - maybe mention it to your GP next time.  :#  I guess it is up to each GP to stay on top of their own education. It is a shame it is not mandatory to attend something like this at least ever couple of years hey?

• JJ70
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sorry I haven't posted here for a while - that is because the campaign is keeping me super busy! Here is our latest campaign card. Notice all the endorsement bodies!! Currently seeking Love Your Sister and National Breast Cancer Foundation endorsements to add to these.  If you would like some campaign cards sent to you. PM me your address. xx
  • JJ70
    Options

A few shots from our recent photo shoot. All of the ladies pictured here were diagnosed late 30s or in their 40s. Jon - from JLorenzo Photography donated his time and expertise, as his mother had breast cancer. So lovely of him!
    Covet Makep and Beautiamo Artistry also donated their time and expertise to make us look lovely for the camera.

• JJ70
    Options

• JJ70
    Options

• JJ70
    Options

• JJ70
    Options
    The West Australian newsspaper article regarding the campaign push.
  • JJ70
    Options
    If you were diagnosed in your late 30s right through to early 50's, your story could help the campaign.
    I am collecting stories to collate into a book to present to government. I also share these stories on our FB page every Sunday night - Sunday Night Story Night, plus post other relevant breast cancer information pertaining to early detection and equality in screening notification for women 40-49.
    @Can40Do45

We are also on Instagram:
    #CANAT40.DOAT45
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Brilliant Jo! Your energy to run this campaign is fantastic. You are to be highly commended, you're an incredible human sista. K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    Options
    Well done Jo for advancing the earlier age for breast screening mammograms ..... and getting such wonderful coverage in WA.

If only NSW followed suit!

Ummm I've heard back from BreastScreen NSW re them not 'actively pushing' the 40-49 screening in NSW (let alone advising ANY women of having Dense Breast Tissue) ..... and they say:

Quote: "Altho women over 40 are eligible for a free mammogram, screening mammograms are most effective at detecting breast cancer early in women aged 50-74 years.  Younger women are less likely to develop breast cancer; they also have dense breast tissue which makes it more difficult to detect breast cancers.  I understand your concern regarding the disclosure of breast density, particularly when you have been diagnosed with breast cancer & have been advised that you have dense breast tissue.  You rightly report that BreastScreen WA does report breast density but BreastScreen NSW does not.  BreastScreen NSW adheres to the BreastSCreen Australia position on breast density which I hear included for your review."  (See attached Below)

(Kind of looks to me like the 'younger women' are being thrown to the wolves, along with all the others with denser breast tissue.)  (It was I who highlighted the sentence re young women being 'less likely to develop breast cancer' above.)  I wonder exactly what science backs up that statement??

Then they continue to try & justify  this decision - "  This position recommends that breast density not be routinely reported on until there is more evidence available on how breast density should be best assess and managed.  Further evidence is also required in relation to supplemental screening and clinical pathways for women with dense breasts.  BreastScreen NSW is not inactive in relation to breast density.  We adhere to best practise and provide a quality and fully accredited service."

• JJ70
    Options
     @arpie There is no decade of age as more than a 26% of BC diagnoses. Approx vales:
    Under 40s= 7%
    40s =20%
    50s=24%
    60s=26%
    70s= 23%
    If 45-49s were invited to screen we would see the false low of 20% for this age group rise.🙄

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    Options
    Excuse the French, but F**cking Arseholes!!  

You've gotta feel for all the 40-49ers who are missed due to not having their mammograms/screenings   :(