CAN at 40. DO at 45 - Awareness Campaign

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    No other argument is required with those numbers. It's ridiculously simple. I cannot understand the reluctance. Yes it will cost more in the short term, but in the long term it will save money. Inexplicable to me.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Regardless of the age, if you find a lump prior to Breastscreening, you have to pay for your mammogram and ultrasound.
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Inexplicable to me too @kmakm. Breast cancer diagnoses (as we all know) and its consequences and impacts reverberates through families - for generations. The cost absorbed cannot be measured. Women 45-49 are still more oten than not actively mothering and/or working. The impact on society is huge. Why are they not included in ACTIVE screening with numbers such as these - there is no other explanation but short term cost to government. It is SOOO short-sighted.

Yes @Blossom1961 - this is the truth, but at least there is some MEdicare rebate if there is a symptom or a family history. The new rebate for breast MRI will be good to see!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    That's brilliant @JJ70. Well done!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    Well done @JJ70

Still awaiting MY letter from BSNSW .... have made comments on everyone of their announcements!   ;) 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I only got my screening done at 43 cause I had found a lump 2 years earlier that they checked. It doubled in size so I got it checked again and here I am. Didn’t have to pay for any of my diagnostics though. If I didn’t have a lump I could feel I would never of known. There were 2 others there I couldn’t feel and after mastectomy they found a large portion of DCIS. go u @JJ70 for pushing this campaign. 
  • arpie
    Well done on finding your lump when you did, @Kiwi Angel  ..... I have a diagram in the shower that I look at every day - and used to test myself - and never found mine!  But with it being 'in the grapes' - it was a trickier one to find as the area was already lumpy.

@JJ70 and I have been continually pushing the buttons of BSNSW and their continued (false) advertising for only 50-74 to be screened, altho as we all know - women from 40 up and 75 up are able to have free mammograms - they just don't tell you that! 

We make sure that ALL our friends & family & workmates know that the correct 'freebie' age is 40 up!
  • JJ70
    If anyone wants any campaign cards to help spread the word....message me on Facebook @Can40Do45, or PM me here on the forum. If there are any other BC warriors out there who were diagnosed anywhere between the ages of 38-52, the campaign can use your story to present our case to government.
  • Emma17
    Emma17 Member Posts: 46
    @arpie You may or may not be aware that BreastScreen NSW is auspiced by Cancer Institute NSW (CINSW).  CINSW holds the reins.  You may wish to consider including Sarah McGill, CINSW Director of Screening and Prevention, on your BreastScreen NSW correspondence.  Here are two links:

1.  About Sarah McGill (CINSW website:  https://www.cancer.nsw.gov.au/about-us/media/spokespeople/sarah-mcgill
    2.  Contact us (CINSW):  https://www.cancer.nsw.gov.au/about-us/contact-us

Kudos for your diligence and commitment to the cause!
  • arpie
    WOW @Emma17 -  I didn't realise that!!   Thank you so much!!

I've recently had my 2017 BSNSW mammogram (4 months prior to my own detection) re-assessed!  They asked if I would be happy for the scans to be 're-read' by 2 radiologists to see if (in hindsight) they could 'see' the tumours, as they obviously missed them initially!!

They quite gleefully told me that their review showed that I didn't have breast cancer!   HELLO??

SOMEONE GOT IT WRONG!  Guess who?   :(   I am still working on an email regarding my response to their so called review!

I am afraid, I don't have much faith in BSNSW - particularly that they will not advise their clients of their 'breast density' - which is the reason why my own tumours were missed by their mammogram   :( 
  • JJ70
    edited June 2019
    @Emma17 and @arpie Sarah McGill responded negatively (ie: things won't change thanks very much) to my 24 page letter that included NSW womens' stories and direct quotes.............. :(

See the letter I received from BSNSW regarding my posts on their FB page regarding their neglect to advertise from 40, my response and Sarah McGill's response to that.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @JJ70 Unfortunately the only way people like Sarah McGill are going to take any notice of anyone with views different to theirs is if they get a cancer diagnosis themselves. She is only interested in company policy not people.
  • JJ70
    Thanks for that @Patti J..............after almost a year working on this campaign, I have had a lot of joy from WA BreastScreen, who now religiously advertise from 40. BSNSW is definitely the worst in this area. They NEVER advertise from 40. BSVIC, QLD and SA are inconsistent.  It seems like trying to change things at the top is a bit of a lost cause.....atm.....we need more pressure from the ground up. That takes time to build and it is building..............the campaign needs more general public support and awareness. If anyone wants any campaign cards, give me a holler or if you have any burning ideas for increased awareness - that don't take a heck of a lot of time - I'm all ears!
  • arpie
    @JJ70 I just love the way the BSNSW throw all 40-49 & 75+ women under the bus!   Basically saying that not enough are dying to warrant being invited by them to undergo free mammograms!   Yet they are only too happy to continue using Jane McGrath as their advertising tool.

I  wonder if you received the letter (re your posts) because you are not from NSW?  I'm surprised I haven't heard from them, to be honest!  LOL  I think you should keep posting!  ;)  See if you get another letter!  Did they remove your posts?