Unique family traditions and quirks that make you smile

Options
13»

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    When the kids were little and we would drive off from his Mum and Dad (whether it was at their house or someone else's) we would wait until we were about to drive forward, have all of the windows down and co-ordinate a very loud, long "Bye".  They get a bit embarrassed now as teenagers but it still happens if it's not too public.

That also reminds me of a tradition that my husband's father started with my girls by accident.  Sadly, he passed away earlier this year (small cry, here) but it will always be remembered fondly.  He thought that he was being playful with my eldest daughter when she was about 18 months old, and he growled at her.  She looked startled and terrified and my FIL was devastated.  My husband quickly jumped in and told my daughter to growl back at him.  Bravely, she did and my FIL caught on and looked suitably frightened in a jokey way.  That became their habitual greeting to each other, taken up by my youngest daughter too, when she was old enough. (very teary, now - reaching for the tissues)
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    What a very dear tradition.  I'd be teary too @Sister.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    This is a 'words misunderstood' story , not a family tradition. As a child care worker in a toddler room many years ago I read a book to the children several times titled 'The Cow Who Fell Into the Canal'. It was set in Holland and the cow knocked over stacks of little round cheeses. I would say 'look at the baby cheeses rolling everywhere'. A month  later we are learning Christmas songs and I realize at least three of the children are singing 'little baby cheeses cradled in the hay'.  Woops!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,593
    Options
    That's Gorgeous @Sister - and well done Hubby to save the day!  :)  So sorry FIL has passed on  :( 

@jennyss - hahaha - there are SO many songs with 'misunderstood' words ....... When we do 'Whilst Shepherds Watched their flocks at night'  I ALWAYS sing "Whilst shepherds washed their socks at night all seated round the tub, the angel of the lord comes down & tells them all to scrub!"  (I just can't help myself!)

We sing every week at Nursing Homes/Old Age facilities ..... one song this current session is Rivers of Babylon with the line "and the meditation of your heart' & I keep singing 'medication of your heart' - seems to fit nicely!  ;)