Unique family traditions and quirks that make you smile

Nadi
Nadi Member Posts: 619
edited August 2018 in Day to day
Lately I've been thinking a lot about the little things that are unique to my family. The traditions and habits and quirks that we share that would probably seem odd to others, that make me smile. For example,
  • on birthdays we always give a card that is not a birthday card, e.g bon voyage, best wishes on your christening, congratulations on your engagement, graduation card, get well soon, wedding etc etc. For my 50th my sons gave me a sympathy card. We think it's hilarious and we really look forward to seeing what type of card we'll get.
  • we don't say "Happy Birthday", we say "Happy to You" this is because one of my sons used to say it incorrectly when he was little and the saying has just stuck.
  • balloons on birthdays are compulsory
  • If you're male in our house you will always get one sock for every year of age on your birthday. We have lots of spare socks from those odd years.
  • we have an emergency word, which is a word we use when we may be struggling with something (like we're depressed or deeply upset) when we can't bring ourself to talk about it. The word is 'pineapple'. If any one of us randomly says that word or sends it in a text, then all the family will immediately drop everything and rally round, no questions asked because sometimes it's easier to say a single word, rather than trying to explain a difficulty you're experiencing or that you are feeling bad
  • we have the same seat at the dinner table. What's funny is that when we eat out we sit in the same positions.
  • It's a tradition in our house that when my boys got their first pay from their first job they would take mum (me) out to dinner.
  • If one of us gets a promotion we always go to Pancake Parlour to celebrate - we've done this since our kids were toddlers.
Just wondering what quirky traditions other families have.

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I'm going to have to think about that - I'm sure we have quirks, but they seem normal to us!  Your first one did make me think of one of ours - we do say Happy Birthday to each other, but it's also likely to be anything but.  Instead, we say Happy Easter, Happy Father's Day, etc.
    My husband and I keep the same seats at the dinner table but the kids rotate, seaonally.  They think it's so that they get a change; we know it's so that we get a break from looking at each particular child's eating habits!
    Small wrapped presents are always guessed as undies - obligatory.
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    We we still give our grown up children Santa sacks on Christmas morning.  We always have melon balls as part of Christmas lunch because my mother in law started it when all the grandchildren were little.  The oldest grandchild is almost 40 now. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,568
    Wow!  @Nadi  -  what WONDERFUL quirky traditions you have!  I laughed out loud at a few of them!   What a clever way of communicating with your family with your 'secret word' ..... that is just brilliant - on so many different levels!  

Sadly, I was at boarding school from very early junior school right thru to Higher School Certificate - so I was only ever at 'home' for holidays - and sadly after altercations with my stepmother was kicked out of home within 12 months of leaving school (as also happened with my sister but within 6 months!) .... so we missed out on most of the family birthdays, traditions etc ... and I never had kids (married one tho!)

I know one of my brothers ALWAYS brings out a CD of The Muppets at Xmas as a part of their family Xmas gatherings & his kids have carried that on.

My husband & I always have a picnic by the water for our Xmas Lunch & then launch our kayaks & have a fish (the waterway  normally being totally devoid of boats - a real bonus!)

Whenever I visit family, I always do a 'special whistle' as I approach an open window or the front/back door, to announce my arrival ..... and they know it is me.

I always have the toilet roll showing with the tissue coming 'over the top' (not underneath .....) and an old buddy who visited last week (friends from the 80s) used to ALWAYS change it over, just to annoy me!  LOL

Keep 'em coming!  ;)  
  • Ellamary98
    Ellamary98 Member Posts: 157
    @tigerbeth, my 14-year old loves the Lynx!
    @Artferret My children always wanted a novelty birthday cake, but it was a fail every time I tried! I'm a good baker, but rubbish at the decoration!
    @kmakm My husband is English- Quality Streets at Christmas and Christmas tree gifts still reign.
    I can only imagine how it must be to lose your sister and all those sweet memories shared. I miss my mother so much at Christmas- the memories of baking together and preparing the big family meal can be overwhelming, even 7 years on. I bake our Christmas cakes on my own now. She always marked the recipe with each year it was used, and it makes me teary when I see the end of her handwriting and the beginning of my own. I draw enormous comfort from baking recipes she has handwritten- and even some of my grandmother's.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Thanks @Ellamary98.

Bought the Quality Streets last week when I saw them in Woolworths. Some years they've been very hard to find so as long as the use by dates are OK I grab them when I see them!