Unique family traditions and quirks that make you smile

Options

Comments

• Ellamary98
    Ellamary98 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    @kezmusc , I love that story!  My husband's family used to have an inappropriate birthday card which was sent back and forth for each sibling's birthday, with a line through each old message. It was originally sent by a rather crass uncle to my husband's sister when she was 13, and includes a saucy joke.The joke never dies.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Ellamary98 Hee hee! Love that. Must have been very tatty by the time it was done!
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @kmakm, About shared memories - My darling mother died last year: Lucky me; we had special times together, but now I realise I don't share those memories and laughs with anyone else. 
  • Ellamary98
    Ellamary98 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    My favourite mis-sayings by our children, which have become  part of family vernacular are:
    'Buttercups', instead of hiccups.
    'gobbles', for goggles
    'Brefrex', for breakfast
    Uncle Mark, Get Set, Go!
    and 'Judy and the Beast'. 
    Like you, @Eastmum , we have a special meal which noone would miss. Big Family Brefrex is every other Sunday  and alternates with Sunday family dinner.  We set the table with all the trimmings, including an assortment of cups and saucers, and play trivia games and quizzes. Occasionally, we will invite extended family, but it really is our precious time in an otherwise non-stop weekend schedule.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Ellamary98 My eldest was tripped up by 'breakfast' as well. He said "breaksrp" which I still use from time to time.
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    @Ellamary98 love those sayings! How adorable.
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Options
    This idea is delightful, can't help but smile and appreciate how the small things strengthen relationships and well-being.
    Our family word for disaster or not coping comes from a Monty Python skit "Albatross" eg, 'How did you get on with Centrelink today?' reply, "ALBATROSS!" (disaster and frustrating beyond belief, nothing achieved). We also speak of 'inventures', eg, 'well, shopping for a new handbag was quite an inventure'. Our son at 3yrs old could not say adventure, he's now 44 and still tells us of his latest 'inventure'.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,593
    Options
    My nephew (when about 8) misheard my mother when she called him 'Sweetheart' .... thinking she'd called him "Wheatheart'' (a breakfast cereal!)   He said - "That's ok Nana - you can call me 'Wheatheart' - you can even call me 'Corn Flakes'!!"   I thought that was absolutely GORGEOUS!  Not sure if it became a family tradition tho!  LOL