Depression,PTSD and BC

Options

Comments

• Moondeer
    Moondeer Member Posts: 10
    Options
    The anxiety was also exacerbated for me too. In the past I had experienced occasions of anxiety but had learnt techniques to manage it. With my BC diagnosis though my anxiety went into overdrive and I forgot how to manage it! A few sessions with a psychologist were very helpful. The psychologist I saw worked at a Cancer wellness centre here in Brisbane and was quite experienced with cancer patients which I felt helped me a lot - she understood what I was going through and gave me some very solid techniques to manage. I started meditating and using a fantastic app called “insight Timer” I found this  really helped me a lot - I used to meditate befor each chemo session and found that I went I there each time feeling calmer and more accepting of my situation than I probably would have. I asked my GP for a mental health plan and then did some digging around to find this particular psychologist. Six months later I really do feel better for the support that I have received and I often think the mental strain and subsequent challenges of this disease could easily be underestimated. It made such a difference to my progress to have great support for my mental well being.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    My family history is complicated and has often been very difficult. When I was diagnosed I asked if I could see a dietician and a counsellor. As I was diagnosed in December I had to wait ages before I could see the counsellor. I found it a helpful space to let it all hang out and she helped me start to process everything.

However she also correctly I believe, identified that I was suffering from depression and anxiety. The former I believe is/was situational, both from the family trauma and my diagnosis. The latter she thinks I've had to a greater or lesser degree all my adult life. Now that I understand it more I agree. I certainly know that I've been having panic attacks increasingly over the last two years.

I fell apart in the third cycle of chemo and could not stop crying. For a week I cried at home, at the GP, for two hours with the psychologist... Fortunately she didn't have anyone coming in after me and wouldn't let me leave until I had a modicum of composure! I was in the middle of treatment and struggling hard with my decision to have the double mastectomy and reconstruction.

They both gently raised again the possibility of taking an anti-depressant, an idea that I was not outright opposed to, but one I was hesitant about.

I also sobbed on the phone to my breast care nurse and she was the one who phrased it the right way and made me see sense about taking it. So I did and I've been so much better for it.

I still get sad and cry (I had some shockers in hospital after my operation) but I function so much better. I've been feeling a bit down and anxious the last three days but it's not stopping me from doing stuff. I've got the option of increasing the dose, we'll see. I don't want to be on it forever but I think I have to work on the old brainbox before easing down and out.

So that's my mental health story. It's a watching brief, and as I strongly believe in removing stigma, you'll know what happens next! K xox
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Thanks for telling your story @kmakm
    I have asked to see the counselor again and will have a 'snot and tears' session with my oncologist on Monday (I can't talk about crying without doing a live demonstration). Hopefully I can get some chemical help for my brain.
    Here's to good mental health xx 
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Just wanted to let those of you who live in a rural community, last year the government gave a medicare rebate to those of us who are able to skype with their pyschologist,my pyschologist is in Adelaide and I am over 150ks away, so she started up with the skype system, I went to my GP, got a mental health care plan, told him about the medicare rebate being accepted by my pyschologist, which enabled me top continue "seeing" her via skype, so once a month now we have a consult this way, in the comfort of my home, there is nothing to pay,as she accepts the rebate as full payment,sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, having a" down but not out day" today,will go away and try and regroup and refocus, or just might go and and a lay down and pull the quilt over me!!!

wendy55
  • kmakm
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Vangirl "Snot and tears", love it! The other one I adore is @Zoffiel's moniker for her counsellor: "That Poor Woman". So good. We have some super wordsmiths here. K xox
  • Vangirl
    Options
    @wendy55 sounds like a fantastic system. Best wishes for your continuing mental health xx 

PS, didn't sound like a ramble to me, sounds like really useful information.
  • kmakm
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Not rambly at all @Wendy55   :*
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Sister I went to my first shrink appointment this morning and found it quite beneficial - she told me I am wound very tight and gave me some tips for coping with some anger I have regarding a particular person. She told me about this book that she likes and recommends to her breast cancer survivor patients. She said that I could read the first chapter online to see if I like it (as I’m not really a self help book person) but this is the link if anyone is interested. I was going to give it a read tonight. 

https://www.actmindfully.com.au/upimages/The_Reality_Slap_-_Introduction_and_first_chapter.pdf

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Thanks. @Kiwi Angel I've got 1 1/2 hours to kill while my daughter is swimming!

The practice manager at the new place rang me this evening and has me booked in and also on the cancellation list for an earlier appointment if possible.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Sister that’s good - I found it helpful to talk to someone impartial. 

Just read it actually and found the introduction really resonated with me. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Thanks @Kiwi Angel - it certainly is interesting enough to read more.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    SO glad you are finally able to see someone, @Sister - even if it IS thru your husband's fire fighting connections!!  Talk about thinking 'outside the square'!   WELL DONE!  

• kmakm
    Options
    That's a relief @Sister. Hope it goes well.

Should I give it a read @Kiwi Angel
  • Vangirl
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel I have one of Dr Russ Harris's other books on my shelf. He is a great writer and the book 'The Happiness Trap' was my bible for a long while. I will read the intro you provided with interest!