Perhaps it is time for the Government to get serious and fund 3D mammograms us women

Options
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    I am down the track with my breast cancer diagnosis and still get the annual mammogram - in 2016 I noticed the word ''tomosynthesis'' appeared on the results.  I was not told anything about this at the time so researched it.  The added amount of radiation used can be a concern, apparently, therefore not appropriate for wide screening programs.
    Some radiologists are now using the new equipment and I understand that Medicare fund it when it is used in conjunction with the normal mammogram.
    As it is relatively new here it is used for ladies who have previously had a BC diagnosis or if there are some doubts and they want to look more closely at the results.
    As with anything the cost of the machines may still be a bit prohibitive for a BreastScreen rollout.  You can always ask your medical team to send you for one where it is available.  For those on a Health Care or Pension card there may be no charge. Worth checking out.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    My surgeon feels I don't need ultrasound tests any more as my breast is ageing and more transparent, but even so it's knowing that he has a 3D mammogram facility that makes me feel OK with this, even after 6 years.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    When I went for the mammogram that found my tumour last year, BreastScreen Victoria asked me if I wanted to be part of a trial to see if 3D mammography improved diagnosis rates. I would be randomly assigned into either the 2D or 3D group. I ended up in the 2D group. Three weeks later I was recalled and went straight into the room with the 3D machine. Rightly or wrongly, I thought that told the tale pretty clearly right there...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You may recall that we were asked to advocate on behalf of BCNA for Ribociclib
    I lobbied hard and in my response letter dated 19 June from my favourite Senator (after all he lobbied for me) which came from the Minister for Health, it partly states

"...In addition, from 1 November 2018 the Australian Government is introducing two new time-limited Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) items for 3D breast tomosynthesis (3DBT).  This is a relatively new technology that produces a 3D image of the breast by using several X-rays obtained at different angles.  These new items are an interim measure for two years to enable an application for long-term funding to be lodged by the sector and considered by the medical Services Advisory committee.  As with the existing MBS mammography items, the new interim items are for diagnostic testing of individuals where malignancy is suspected (often identified through a screening mammogram)…"

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Hi all!   BCNA put up a link about this at the time of the announcement 

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/18708/more-about-the-budget

Within Marianne's comment there is the word link which takes you to this
    https://www.bcna.org.au/news/2018/05/cdk-inhibitors/
    scroll down and it talks about 3D Mammography

Hope that helps