Waiting for chemo!!

Options

Comments

• Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Had 2nd TC chemo yesterday & had a reaction, soooo, more steroids & a half hour wait, then they began again but slowed it right down. Long day!! I was bouncing off the walls last night
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I had an allergic reaction @JenniA. It'll be quicker next time as they'll pre-load you to counterract the reaction before you start. I had Phenergan which made me so deliciously sleepy I snoozed chemo away.
  • Doin'it
    Options
    @kmakm now that sounds better. I’d have to put something over my head in case I slept ‘cause my mouth hangs open when I’m asleep. Apparently!!! Haha
  • kmakm
    Options
    @JenniA Where I had my chemo they had one bed in the room of chairs. They put me on that bed and once I was up and running they drew a curtain round me so I could sleep unobserved!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @JenniA I had an allergic reaction the first time so then they just pre loaded me too. xo
  • Doin'it
    Options
    @kmakm @Kiwi Angel I have to take 2 Dexamethasone at breaky & 2 at lunchtime the day before next chemo so hope that helps. I actually had a fun day yesterday once I picked up. The staff are awesome 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @JenniA that is what I had to do as well - day before, day of, day after and then just 1 dose the following day. 
  • Emim
    Emim Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I am still sitting here getting my chemo after arriving at 9am. I am now onto my third and final which is trastuzumab (herceptin) for 90 minutes. After almost deciding not to bother with the cold caps but the lovely nurses convinced me to give it a go. It doesn't feel that cold to me, so I am not sure if it is working (but maybe I'm the scarecrow). I got my hair cut to a chin length bob yesterday and it does look quite good, so we'll see if I can keep it. If not, well it's going to a good cause. 

So sorry to hear you had a reaction @JenniA. I was feeling a bit nauseous, but that's all. I am not sure if it was just nerves, but they told me to have a tablet for it and I seem good now. I did make a bit of a mistake yesterday, I was meant to take the dexamethasone and completely forgot about it until 9pm - I rang the 24hr nurse and they said it was ok, just to take it then, again first thing in the morning and then tell the nurses. I woke up at 5:30am and took another dose then, and then they gave me some more through my IV before starting the chemo. 

I have always had a great memory but have found that even though I think I am feeling reasonably calm, the day before appointments and treatments I am really forgetful and tired, and I understand it will get worse with chemo brain. I am now getting people and phones to remind me.

Thinking of you @Harvey1903

• Harvey1903
    Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks @emim.  Start next Wednesday. Prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. @kmakm pineapple in freezer - tick - soft toothbrush - tick.  Lucky it's just me and hubby so not worried about anything else.  Managed to swing golf club today so getting back on top after diep only to now go through chemo.

Cold cap wasn't mentioned, but happy to go short. Has just taken me three years of growing out dyed brown hair to now salt and pepper shoulder length.  Oh well, I'll see what comes through. 

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions that everyone has posted, I'm not much of a poster but I do research stuff here as it's people who are actually going through this stuff.  Hugs Julie. 

• kmakm
    Options
    @Harvey1903 Good on you Julie. Let us know how you get on. All the very best. Kate xox
  • dougal
    dougal Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi all, thanks everyone for the well wishes for my first chemo and herceptin treatment. Sorry I 've been so focused and overwhelmed with it all haven't been online at all. Have to say I feel really strange today so might be writing mumble jumble!! Extremely tired with a weird head, finding it really hard to think straight! After three days of being wide awake on the steroids that they give you to suddenly completely drained of all energy, weird, took an anti sickness pill this morning as a little nauseous. Luckily had no reaction to treatment on Thursday which was a bonus. I was thinking of you Emim on Friday, glad to hear you went ok. I was not offered cold cap and will just go along with losing my hair around day 13 I was told. Good luck to Harvey for next Wednesday. I will write some more when my brain decides to behave itself and think properly, surely can't be chemo brain already!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Remember the feeling all too well @dougal.  Just go with the flow.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @dougal Glad it's all going as well as it can. You'll emerge from that initial fog in a few days. Treat yourself gently. K xox
  • dougal
    dougal Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you Sister and Kmakm, at least I know this is normal then. It is such a weird feeling, almost like a cold ice cream inside my head! lets hope next few days get better. x
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @dougal
    Take care of yourself over the next few days and hope you feel better very soon