Waiting for chemo!!

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Excellent Debbie! Something solid and understandable. I had Docetaxel (that's the T in your acronym) but not the others so I'm afraid I can't help you specifically.

But I can say that they will only give you what they think you can cope with. In other words, keep your eyes on the prize, banishing BC from your life forever. You'll be surprised how quickly it becomes routine and then it's over and disappearing in the rearview mirror. No one gets ALL in side effects, and if you have good communications with your oncologist, which it sounds like you have, she should be able to help you stay on top of them.

Pop TCH in the search bar on the home page here and see what you can find.

Chemo sucks but cancer sucks more. K xox
  • Emim
    Emim Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2018
    Options
    That's good that you have the next steps dougal. I had my appointment yesterday too, and my treatment plan might be similar, but not the same as yours. My surgeon passed on further pathology results post surgery  that the tumour was HER 2 + whereas previously an ISH test had indicated it was HER 2 -, so that changed my treatment plan. I will be getting herceptin (trastuzumab) for 12 months as well as chemotherapy for at least three months (but it might be 4 and a half months) followed by radiation therapy. I have a choice with the chemotherapy which I am deciding at the moment and will let the oncologist's registrar know tomorrow after considering the information they gave me (as I haven't decided yet I have not gone into more detail about the choices here). I need to have a CT scan, bone scan and heart scan prior to chemotherapy starting in three to four weeks after I am healed from surgery (I am also a bit swollen around where the lymph node was taken out). It also may take some time for the herceptin to arrive, although the first cycle of chemotherapy can start without it. It was good to have more information about the next steps, although I was also a bit nervous about the appointment yesterday. While I have been told from the beginning that I will need chemotherapy and radiation therapy based on the type of cancer and my age, the oncologist confirmed it and went into more detail about what it will entail. 
  • kmakm
    Options
    Bloody well said @Ladysko
  • Kellee
    Kellee Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi @dougal I am also new to this site, 51yrs old, first mammogram, my tumour couldn’t be felt by hand so I’m very lucky, don’t drink, don’t smoke, breast fed 3 children and diagnosed with cancer in June, had my surgery August 1st. My margins were all clear, my nodes were clear, tumour was 14mm. The tumour was a grade 3 but early stages stage 1. I tested ER, PR & HER2 negative which puts me in a group of 15%. Because of the high grade and the triple negative I may need chemo. All along I was told I would require radiation, at no stage was chemo ever mentioned as an option. So you can imagine my shock, it was like learning you have cancer for the first time all over again. It didn’t help that I turned to Dr. Google. I decided to give this forum a try a few days ago and it has put me at ease. If I hear someone suggest “life change” again I’ll explode. In typical me style I worry about everyone else’s feelings and politely listen to their well meaning suggestions. Good luck with your journey
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,962
    Options
    Dear @dougal , @Emim , @Fletch, @Kellee and all. I am 14 months post surgery, 11 months pos chemo and 9 months post radiotherapy. As different as we all are, Very best wishes for your path ahead - head down, into it and out the other side.

• Emim
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi all, starting on 24 August (one day after @dougal), I will have 12 months of herceptin, four cycles of TC chemotherapy followed by 6 weeks of radiotherapy and then 5/10 years of hormone therapy.  24 August is the Cancer Council's daffodil day, which seems strangely apt. My oncologist and his registrar were good and explained what to expect with chemo quite well. That said, it was a lot to take in. I am glad my mum came with me. I have a one hour information session with breast cancer nurses at the hospital two days before chemo starts, where I have been told they will go through things in a lot more detail, which I hope will help. My partner is supporting me on the first day of chemo.

While I appreciate that I need chemo, and that hair loss in the scheme of things will be temporary (and less debilitating than other potential side effects), I am bit sad and self conscious about it, as I have never had short hair.  At least I know it is something that you, dougal, and others on this forum will be going through, or have gone through and come out the other side. 

I have recently had two people try to help me by passing on "helpful" advice. In one case, a good friend of my partner's tried to pass on second hand information his wife read about people with cancer not eating meat, and it took a while for him to understand that I would prefer to follow the treatment plan I have decided with my doctors and research things for myself. I actually felt quite anxious when he was trying to tell me about it, and while I know he meant well, it felt like he was telling me that if I had a different diet this would not have happened to me. A male friend of a friend has twice tried to pass on information about fertility - despite me informing him that at 41 and with a 46 year old partner, we have already accepted that we will not be parents (other than to the three cats we currently have!). I think that if I had not come to terms with it,  personal questions about having children would be quite distressing at this time. I have done a bit of research on what to say or do when people give unsolicited advice as I am aware that this is likely to continue to happen. Both of the people who have said things care about me and did mean well, and for that at least I am grateful.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @emim The hair loss can be a bit confronting.  Ask about the cold caps - it's worth giving it a go and if you can't bear it or it doesn't work well enough, then you can always stop.  And you can have some fun with the baldness.  @kmakm had crown henna done while I have oodles of scarves, caps and beanies and a wig for when I want to fly under the radar (many donated by some lovely women on this site).  I'm pretty sure that I've read that there's a wig library in Canberra - worth checking out as you may find that you really can't be bothered with wig most of the time and hiring/borrowing one is a lot cheaper.  Book in for a Look Good Feel Better course if there's one near you.  You get a bundle of new makeup along with advice on applying it to counteract the effects of chemo, and at least in the one I went to, a woman from a wig business came in with a selection of wigs and caps to try on.
  • Emim
    Options
    Thanks @Sister. My oncologist told me about cold caps and that it can be time consuming and doesn't always work that well. I will look more into whether I want to try it. I have booked into a Look Good Feel Better course in September, and I am looking forward to that (I have actually never been that good at styling my hair or putting on makeup). 

My mum told me about a place her friend went to where they have wigs and other products for people with cancer and we are going to check it out together. There was also a lot of useful information about services in Canberra at the Canberra Hospital which I took home with me after my appointment last week. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Honestly, @emim - the cold caps didn't work well enough for me to persevere but I would have if they had. (IIgot a bald strip across my head from ear to ear and that was too much for me to want to go on) There's other women on the forum who have had really good results.  
  • Emim
    Options
    I will be thinking of you having your first cycle of chemo tomorrow @dougal

I had an appointment with an oncology nurse this afternoon where she went through what to expect before my first cycle of TC chemo on Friday and all of the possible side effects and ways of dealing with them. It was an informative session. They gave me a little pack with a soft toothbrush, oral care products and a MooGoo oncology care pack. I read about MooGoo in another post on here and I wasn't sure where to get it, so I was happy to get that.

I am not sure about using the cold cap and staying for the extra time, but will think about it. I am getting a hair cut tomorrow morning, so I will at least have less hair to fall out if it does. My hair is currently a bit longer than shoulder length, and I am planning on getting it cut at least chin length, or maybe a pixie cut, if I get the nerve up. 
  • kmakm
    Options
    The cold cap didn't work well enough for me to persist either @Emin. I had TC, used the cold cap twice and then gave it away. If you do use it, make sure it's very firmly fitted to the top of your head. It needs as much contact as possible.

Best of luck to you and @dougal. You'll be right, eyes on the prize. K xox
  • Emim
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts @kmakm. You're right - eyes on the prize. I am leaning towards not bothering with the cold cap

I had a tour through the chemo ward and there were lots of chairs in a row. I didn't want to spend too much time there so as not to intrude on the people getting treatment today. It was good to see it though, so it feels a bit more real. 
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Best wishes for first chemo @Emim and @dougal xxx
  • Harvey1903
    Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    @emim @Douglas. Hi I'm off to oncologist tomorrow for first appointment. Will probably start next week. So I'll be following you guys. Good luck to us!   ;)