Back again for another op

Options
2»

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I had a partial then a mastectomy due to no clear margins and node involvement.  I think if there's no nodes involved, it comes down to whether more can be taken without the breast appearing deformed.
  • Harvey1903
    Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Hi guys I am new to this site as well as forums.  I also had surgery 3 weeks ago to be told I have to go back next week for a re excision to widen the margins. For some reason the idea of a second time around worries me just as much if not more. I guess one step at a time. Hope all goes well with you @Harvey1903
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi and welcome @kitkatb. I was new to forums too when I joined here. I hope you find it as helpful and supportive as I have.

I had to have a re-excision as well, one week after my first. The second operation was about an hour shorter than the first. It was no more or less painful, but two general anaesthetics in eight days was pretty weary making and it was several weeks before I felt I was over them.

It's definitely one day at a time @kitkatb, especially at the beginning when most of us are in shock, upset and on a vertical learning curve. It moves very fast so take some deep breaths, and come here to vent, rage, mourn and ask as many questions as you need. Big hug, K xox
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    @kitkatb
    hi I have inboxed  you a list of links to help you navigate the forum if you need any help just let anyone know we will try to help you feel connected and supported here. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,962
    Options
    Dear @Harvey1903 and @kitkatb ,
    I had to have a re-excision in June last year, also due to margins not being clear. It's all a bit of a blur now! Soon I will see the surgeon for my one year later check with mammogram and ultrasound in hand. All going well  at this stage. Very best wishes to you both for your treatments as it all unfolds.

• kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Thanks for your good wishes guys.  @jennyss  @SoldierCrab  @kmakm  I'm sure it will be a blur as well in the coming months. So glad I decided to join this online community, seems like the ideal place to find support or equally have a good vent if I need.  :)

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,612
    edited June 2018
    Options
    All the best for your results on Wed, @Harvey1903 ... I was lucky and only had the one op, even tho one of my clearances was VERY thin, according to my mentor who is a nurse and is also now 5 years BC free (and She had to have it done too, then full mastectomy/chemo too.j

All the best for you too, @kitkatb ... tho I can only guess at yours (and everyone’s) emotion on being told this - not unlike being told the initial diagnosis, I would imagine.  A Real kick in the guts.

Better to have it done tho,  than risk a bit being left behind.

It is great that you found us .... Ask away ANY question you like .... you will get intelligent (sometimes funny) answers from those who have been thru it, so there are no ‘barriers’ to any question.  

Just keep doing what what you love doing, (so long as you are able) and keep active, tho don’t overdo it either.  

I hope you both have supportive family and friends to fall back on, too, cos that really helps you ride out the rough bits. Xxx
  • Harvey1903
    Options
    Hi there - not what I was expecting.  They found a 6mm tumour and another 10mm invasive carcinoma.  Margins still not clear enough.

So, I'm having an MRI - I asked for one.  And then I will have to make a decision.  Do I re-excise again, have a mastectomy, one or both breasts, a reconstruction, with or without prosthetics.  And then do I go with chemo and/or radiation.

In a bubble at the moment.  I'll wait until I have all of the information and hopefully make the right decision.

Still reading everyone elses stories, and I don't feel so alone.   <3
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Ah @Harvey1903 - so frustrating for you when you get thrown yet another curve ball! 

Excellent idea to have an MRI - they don't pick up everything, but they are the most sophisticated pre-surgery diagnostic tool we have at the moment.

The BCNA has an excellent helpline if you need someone to talk it all through with once you have all the info - 1800 500 258 or if you have a breast care nurse, they can also be a fabulous sounding board. You don't need to make this huge decision on your own. Whatever happens, take your time and consider all the options really carefully - don't let them talk you into something you're not ready to do. It makes such a difference when you go into surgery/treatment 100% confident that it's the right thing to do.

Lots of hugs. xxxxx 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Bugger! @Harvey1903 and now so many decisions to make.  Good to get as much info as you can. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Some times it is no fun being a grown up, particularly when you have to make those sorts of decisions. It's a tough time for you, getting as much info as you can is sensible, but it is bloody exhausting. Good luck M xxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I am so sorry you've had these results @Harvey1903. What an absolute bugger. I like that you've insisted on an MRI, good move by the sounds of it. I'm an information gatherer too, it helps me be comfortable with my decisions.

I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction six weeks ago. The women over at the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group were a great help to me in my process. If/when you're ready you can join that group.

You're never alone here darl. Hang in there, we'll keep you company all the way. Kate xox
  • Harvey1903
    Options
    Thanks @kmakm I have joined the group I think, Ill have a look now.  A lot of decisions and I hope that all went well for you.  It will be interesting to see the choices everyone has made.  All good today, had lunch and cleavage.  Lol