Back again for another op

Options
Harvey1903
Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
edited May 2018 in General discussion
Hi there - went last Thursday week to have my grade 2 invasive  carcinoma removed.  Was told the margins were OK and to wait for information regarding 4 weeks of radiotherapy.   Boob recovering but sore.  Anyway found out that they told me incorrectly and have to go back next Thursday for a bit more to be removed.  Which will mean another day in hospital, plus the 4 hour each way drive, and an overnight in a hotel.  Plus someone to look after the dog!   Will try and do some deep breathing and wait until next Thursday too start all over again.  

Tagged:

Comments

• steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Options
    That would be very disappointing and I imagine a bit hard to get your head around as it seemed one part was done but now its not.  All the best as you prepare for this physically, mentally and practically @Harvey1903 . Deep breathing sounds a great idea.  Hugs

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Oh bugger, on every level! You may be eligible for a patient transport subsidy to help cover costs. The rules and paperwork differ from state to state but get on the blower to your breast care nurse and ask what is available. Like all things gubernmint, it is a rebate so you have to cover the initial costs,  submit a claim then wait until some drone processes it. Good luck. Marg xxx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Oh so sorry to hear that and very annoying you have to go through this yet again. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

The what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/the-what-and-how-thread/p1 

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Sorry to hear that - I know how you feel - not the news you wanted to hear.  But better to get it right.  Best wishes.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    It must such a bugger to hear that news @Harvey1903 very frustrating and inconvenient for you too. One of the reasons why I took the first boob off was so i only had to have chemo and no radiation as well as getting to the Royal bris is a huge pain in the arse for me. I hope the radiaton goes smoother for you and it’s close by also.  Big hug. Margie x
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    What a bugger @Harvey1903 - there are a few on here that have had to go back for re-excision and will be able to advise you. Wishing you all the best and hope it's much more smooth sailing from here.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @Harvey1903
    Sorry to hear that you have to go back for further surgery.  Take care and hoping all goes well for you this week.
  • Harvey1903
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments.  Funny you put on one persona for husband! family, kids, friends - like no big deal, but deep down am really annoyed.  But still looking for the silver lining.  I'm sure there is one.  Hope you all smooth sailing @eastmum  Yes, have the form for remote travel.  Doesn't cover car parking!! or food, or tolls so am packing an esky for Thursday lol.    
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Harvey1903
    Hope you are on the better side of the second trip to Hospital.  Take care
  • Harvey1903
    Options
    Thanks @iserbrown  Took second op a bit harder than the first, don't know why?  Go back for results next Wednesday.   Hopefully all will be good.  A question though (to anyone - I know everyone will be different but) - how many times do they go back to get clear margins?  Didn't like to ask as I knew I would get the - wait until the results look.  lol.
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    I had to go back for a second op as clear margins were not achieved the first time and yes second time round the news was harder to take but all was good and clear margins were gained. From reading I've done on other forums there have been other people who have gone back more than twice but i imagine that surgeons would not want to do that unless it was absolutely necessary. Mine was grade 2, stage 1, no lymph node involvement. Ask your med team about the EXPERT trial and whether you would be a good candidate for it. It's a 10 year trial looking at whether early stage BC needs radiation or not. I got into the non-radiation group which means i just have to take the anti hormone drug (letrozole). Often the medical cohort don't know if they got it all till the results are back from pathology and they like to have a clear 2mm margin that has no cancerous or pre-cancerous cells present. Good luck with your results. 
    Cath xx
  • Harvey1903
    Options
    Thankyou @arferret  I will definately look into that.  XXX
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Harvey1903. I had 3 ops in the end in the first 2 months of this year. Lumpectomy, partial mastectomy and then full mastectomy. Had enough surgery to last me for at least this year. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I had to have a re-excision for margins exactly a week after my first operation. The first operation was two hours amd forty minutes, the second was one and a half hours and so much harder. Two general anaesthetics so close together, at the same site, combined with the emotional strain of having to go again, and you know, cancer... It's no surprise it's harder to bounce back. But you will, take it easy on yourself, be kind to yourself. One day at a time. Big hug, K xox