Breast recon - fat grafting

Options
13»

Comments

• Dogstar
    Dogstar Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi @suburbangirl, I am a bit more than seven weeks out from fat transfer to both breasts (done in Melbourne) and very happy with the result so far. The breast feels nice and soft, and I like that it’s my own tissue, not something artificial in there.

i would say that the main thing to be aware of is that some of the fat is likely to be reabsorbed (they shrink!) and you might need more than one go at it. For me, that also applies to getting the shape right. Be aware too that liposuction does hurt a bit, so stick with the pain relief for a few days! Compression also helps.

Happy to answer any questions you might have about the procedure.

Dogstar
  • suburbangirl
    suburbangirl Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Hi @Dogstar
    So pleased to hear the operation has gone so well for you and everything is feeling good (apart from post op pain/ discomfort!)
    My main question at the moment is does the original breast surgery scar settle and blend in more? At the moment I'm three weeks post 'second' op, and while I put paw paw ointment on both my SNL and breast scars, my breast scar still feels a bit 'lumpy and thick'. The surgeon reopened the original surgical scar and took more, after pathology found a pesky second tumour after first op.
    I do appreciate scars settle over time and I have noted my SNL scar already quite flat and pink, but wondering if breast tissue is different? My breast size was a DD (fatty!) , and my scar is maybe 4-5 inches long. Sorry if this is TMI :)  but this is my first experience with BC.
    Thank you so much.

• Dogstar
    Dogstar Member Posts: 20
    Options
    @suburbangirl The only scarring you’ll have from fat transfer is 5mm incisions at the donor site/s. The fat is injected into the breast so no scarring there. The procedure hasn’t had any impact on my mastectomy scar at all, which after two years is nice and flat. 

Not it sure if that answers your question. Others might be able to advise further on managing scarring.

Dogstar

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    @suburbangirl I have just sent you an invite to join, look for it in your notifications.  You just need to accept it and you should be in.  Please let me know when and if this works so I can then send you a welcome message. @Giovanna_BCNA just tagging you to let you know this still seems to be an issue?
    Paula x
  • suburbangirl
    suburbangirl Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Hi @mum2jj
    Thanks so much- the link you sent me worked- I am in!
    Thank you for doing this for me,
    Best regards
  • merrilee
    merrilee Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi @Dogstar. Just saw your post re fat grafting. Considering same. Can you tell me more about your operation? I'm interested in knowing how many ops did you have, did you wear compression garments beforehand? How much fat was reabsorbed initially? Did you go up just one cup size? What was the cost if I can ask?
  • JEB
    JEB Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi I'm looking at fat grafting and would like to see some photos of the results. I'm a bit nervous about it as I am many years past the mastectomy however the breast surgeon suggested it as I have some concave areas in my chest that look ugly and are obvious when I wear bathers.

I can't seem to log in to the private group. Help please.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    @JEB have you requested to join it? 
    @mum2jj could you help please? 😊
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @JEB here is the link to the Breast Recon group https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction you just need to request to join.

You'll be able to access photos and stories in all categories. :) M x
  • mum2jj
    Options
    Thanks girls @JEB, I just signed you up. You should now be able to go to choosing breast reconstruction and read posts, or post your self. 
    Paula x
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Interesting. 
  • JEB
    JEB Member Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks I've been on that page   https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction there is nothing to link to, to join?
  • mum2jj
    Options
    @JEB you are already signed into the group. 
    Paula x