Exercise and breast cancer

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    All I can say is that my oncologist believes that if if I  wasn't  so fit, I would not have tolerated 15 lots of  I.V. Paclitaxel so well. I just found going to have it tedious and boring. I had been there and done that (I.V. chemo. I  mean). I am now having oral chemo.: Capecitabine.
    When I  exercise I really go hard. But then I  also do yoga which I really need for stretching and to calm me.

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    The minute I clicked on this article it came on the news at the same time. The universe is telling me to keep getting my ass out of bed for that walk!!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    About to head into my oncology exercise class!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Sister Onya!
  • Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2018

ABC News: 'World-first' call for exercise to be prescribed to all Australian cancer patients

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-07/cancer-patients-engaging-in-exercise-show-improvement/9733882

If this goes through it will claimable and a fantastic incentive.

It will hopefully mean that the exercise can taylored to individual needs, and adjusted over time. The data supports exercise independent of prediagnosis fitness levels or weight.  
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Wonderful! and there is already things in place supporting Cancer Patients, wonderful rehab programs and tailored programs with Exercise Physiologists, so this wouldnt be much different. We're lucky to have such things in place.  I stand by what I know and majority of people Ive known who have had recurrence who exercised pre first diagnosis, and post and still had recurrence. 
  • Sister
    There's no guarantees are there @melclarity.  I'm doing it as much to regain my strength (I've lost a lot of upper body condition) and to protect my heart as I have cardiac problems on both sides of the family.

• melclarity
    I agree @Sister I lost full condition and muscle mass due to treatment, I had a long recovery back to the land of living, was it because I wasn't fit? No, I was, my body didnt cope with treatment. Radiation aggravated a dormant heart condition I had in 2012 and had an ablation done, best thing ever. But then a recurrence in 2015?? I worked so hard with my Exercise Physiologist in 2016/17 and Im very active now. I feel the best I have been in 3yrs having said that I am back working full time which is very difficult but great!!!. So it has been the best thing doing Exercise, there's no doubt with any of that or how much I did prior to 1st diagnosis...but that is VERY different @Sister to doing it for prevention. We should just be talking of the benefits of Exercise period. Hugs xo 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Structured programs are useless if you live in the sticks and can't afford a private practitioner. So the gulf between cancer in the city and cancer in the country widens. I suppose we are used to it.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Zoffiel. I count myself as very lucky being in the city - where I have chemo is literally a short walk round the corner. I feel for people that have to travel so far and relocate temporarily for treatments xoxo
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,541
    I have been accepted into the Exmed Cancer program - Assoc Prof Prue Cormie, mentioned in the news articles yesterday is behind this program.  Victorian based program, something I learnt about on this forum

http://www.exmedcancer.org.au/about

For me to attend it is with my GP approval

The closest to me involves approx. an hour there and hour back again - so it is not easy access either however I need to treat this as I am going to work, I am the project, and it will cost me in travel costs.  I am hoping it will help break the fatigue barrier that is still with me or at least have the gap between fatigue bouts widened.

Otherwise locally it is $360 minimum for a pilates course which isn't tailored to my needs 

• Sister
    @Zoffiel I totally agree - it's one more hurdle for rural people.  I find it hard enough being about 30km away but tie it in to the school run ( bloody exhausted by the time I get there). Maybe there could be an online programme designed that could be done live so that a physio could still be overseeing what the person is doing?  With a kit sent out with heartrate monitors an minor exercise equipment...something for Zonta or the like to get their wonderful organisational skills into?
  • melclarity
    @sister there are Exercise physiologists tbat work online. Mine was through EP  group i know she said tbey do as well. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.