Are there dental impacts of hormone therapy ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Great news @Wendy55 will try and relocate it so others can see it.It all helps.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I had a tooth out yesterday. On Christmas day my jaw near my ear swelled up but it had gone down the next day. I mentioned it to my GP who just shrugged his shoulders and said if it swells up again to tell him.
    On Friday I suddenly got a massive neuralgic pain on the left side of my face. I figured it might be a tooth ache, but which tooth? They all looked fine to me and they did to my dentist too and we were both baffled until he took an xray. On my molar, one one of the roots had an abscess. It had a deep filling on the tooth but it had been there for 30 yrs and there was nothing wrong with it. The tooth was just suddenly dying. I hope no more decide to go the same way as i have another 3 to 8 years on this hormone therapy.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,377
    Options
    It may not be related to hormonal treatment, slow infections can be caused by microscopic cracks (not detectable through the standard dental X-ray) or through an equally hard to detect slow deterioration of an old filling. Three dental X-rays failed to find a crack until my persistent periodontist went for a cross section X-ray (priced to match!) and then it was visible, infected and unrepairable. Choice between extracting and implant now or wait till it hurts (and the infection has spread) and do it all then! The worry that there might be a problem started before my hormonal therapy, and the slow development seems indicative that the therapy didn't have much effect. Other than that, 5 years of hormonal therapy and nothing else affecting teeth. I do check very regularly though.