New member to the B.C Club

Options

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Hi Buster, you are not the only one to be temporarily heartened by some curves. After my mastectomy, I was quite relieved to see a pleasantly rounded shape (a much bigger scar through)! It took some time to realise this was non-draining fluid, that refilled even after repeated drainings (leaving me looking like a deflated balloon!) and the start of a 12 month relationship with a seroma (or what my lymphedema therapist chose to refer to as my mutant breast - she's a very funny woman!). Ah well, BC teaches you to find humour where you can!
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Thanks @Sister and @buster! so lovely to hear your comments. Sounds like we have similar stories, @sister, & were diagnosed around the same time & will be going under the knife on the same day! My thoughts will be with you as I know we will both be going through the same feelings & emotions together. I will be holding your hand every step of the way & hoping the best of outcomes for us both. You're right, @buster, one day at a time as it doesn't pay to look too far ahead in case things change along the way. I had my first appointment with the surgeon yesterday & am booked in for surgery Thursday. I went in feeling overwhelmed as I thought I would have to make many decisions about the surgery but the surgeon was so clear & decisive about her surgery plan for me that I didn't have to make any decisions...which I am normally not good at, especially when it comes to life changing decisions like this! As the DCIS hasn't spread, she is going to do a lumpectomy & also fill in the crease left behind with other tissue to fill in my "gap". She told me not to look too far ahead so all my questions didn't need to be asked! I may or may not be needing radiotherapy after, depending on what she finds in there & I don't need any lymph node treatment as there is no spread. I must admit, leaving the surgeon's room, I felt relief as she had a clear direction & she made all my decisions for me. Until surgery, I guess she doesn't know what else she may find but at least I know she hasn't taken off 1 or 2 boobs when she doesn't need to. Thanks ladies, for your support. How lovely to know we have friends going through this with us & that we aren't alone going crazy!! Good luck to you both & everyone going through this. Fingers crossed for us both @sister for Thursday & please let me know how you got on. 
  • Salpal
    Salpal Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi to all the new members @Sister @Anne65 sorry you have had to join but you will find alot of sage words shared here.
    I came to this site in Oct after being diagnosed with eary breast cancer.  Tumor measured 3 cms on scans. All othee scans were clear and FNA showed no node involvement. Opted for sentinal node and lumpectomy. Pathology after surgery showed 4 of 4 nodes with cancer cells, tumor removed with mostly clear margins and a small DCIS was found that had not been picked up any other time. I will need more surgery, Auxillary node biopsy and tidy the margin area where tumor was removed. My surgeon suggested chemo 1st as surgery would delay chemo by almost 6 weeks, which he was a little concerned about so l had my first  AC chemo yesterday.
    Surgery will be later in the year. This gives me breathing space to think on whether l keep my breast or opt for mastectomy and l'm relieved with this thinking time.

My reason for this long winded post is that we all come into this Naive but boy do we learn fast and you are going to have alot of highs and lows but you are now inducted into the world of pink warriors.
    I now say to myself - hold onto your hats and glasses, its gonna be a bumpy ride.
    love and light to you all.
  • Salpal
    Options
  • Anne65
    Options
    Thanks @salpal. I know I will find strength from this forum & the advice of the brave women who contribute. I take my hat off to you all! We are fighters & by sharing our stories, we know we are not alone. I & @sister, are going in for surgery tomorrow & I know we will have all your support. Good luck @sister & thanks to all of you for your love. I wish everyone who is recovering & about to undergo surgery, the very best & know that we are all here for each other. xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow, @Anne65
  • Salpal
    Options
    @Anne65 and @Sister good luck with your surgeries tomorrow. will be thinking of you both xx
  • Sister
    Options
    Our of surgery last night. Have spent the day sleeping and feeling ill. This too, shall pass.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    it shall pass @Sister
    may your recovery be speedy and may you rest over the Christmas period and be pampered by those that love you. 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hope tomorrow you are better. Stay strong. X
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Sister hope you are feeling better today!  Tiny steps, you will get there!  Allow recovery to take it's course
    Take care 
  • Anne65
    Options
    Thanks @sister & @salpal for your love & support. I hope you are feeling better day by day @sister. I was truly thinking of you when I was waiting for my surgery & "holding your hand" & wishing us both a good outcome. Sorry you have been feeling ill but know we are all sending you our love & strength. I came out of hospital Friday & then had a 2 hr drive home. I am in so much pain as the surgeon not only gave me a lumpectomy but also cut a flap of skin/flesh to fill in the gap so she "did a lot of work on me". I have spent the last 2 days home crying & in lots of pain but the love & support I have received from this forum along with family, friends &  BCNA have blown me away. I had a call from the breast care nurse from the hospital yesterday & had numerous visits while in hospital. I got my pink satin cushion & berlei post-op bra & other goodies to help me through. It has been a very humbling experience, receiving so much support from people I hardly know or have never met. You build friendships for life! I hope to see my family for Christmas tomorrow. It will be quiet but it will give me a chance to thank them for their love. I am with you @sister all the way through your rehab & we will continue to improve day by day. To everyone out there recovering or about to undergo surgery, I am with you all the way & wish you strength in the days ahead. I hope everyone can enjoy some happy times over Christmas & New Year & be thankful for the support we have & the love we share with family & friends. xxxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Yay that surgery is now behind you, even though it is a bit more uncomfortable than anticipated!  No matter time of day or night there's always someone on the forum or about to come on that can offer support!  Take care and allow your body time for recovery
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Sister@salpal and @Anne65, if you're in Melbourne, please give the Think Pink website a look. They have great programs including a free (new) wig from their wig library. They also have an apartment which is free to stay in for BC patients who have to travel to Melbourne from the country for treatment .
    They have a break now til the end of January but you can see everything online.Here's a link  https://www.thinkpink.org.au/the-living-centre/our-programs/
    I just celebrated my 1 year op anniversary last week and I think back to last year to what a crying mess I was, I then realise how far I've come, so hang in there Ladies and Happy Christmas x
  • Sister
    Options
    @Anne65 I am so pleased that you are home but it sounds like you have had a gruelling time. I hope the pain is getting less. I was thinking of you during this whole experience.