Chemo Brain. I've succumbed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    I am with Jane Elizabeth, @Zoffiel. Your talent for writing is so appreciated by all of us on here. Maybe there is another opportunity in that. Do keep writing and maybe that opportunity will become clearer too. Many of us have to change direction as a result of this disease but I for one have found some opportunities that would never have come my way in more ‘normal’ circumstances. xox
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @ Zoffiel @Deanne is right do keep writing - would be great if someone wrote a book  about the bc journey from a personal point of view - we all enjoy your jottings and there is definitely a gap in the market how about it ?
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    @zoffiel, reading your posts lifts my mood and puts my feeling sorry for myself into perspective. I too struggle daily with the fog and the anger that lurks under the surface because of it.
    I so identify with your post, @AllyJay, I too enjoyed the dance towards more picturesque speech, and the pauses to search for simple words in a conversation nearly brings me to tears.
    Thank goodness most people seem to understand the reference to Chemo brain, and just find the word for me. And names, sigh! Even friends I see or talk to regularly, suddenly I can't remember their name.
    I am not at all reassured by Primek's 18 months since chemo, I think I will be on antidepressants too if it goes on that long.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I'm so pleased that I bring a smile to a few dials. Thank you to those who have encouraged me to write--the funny thing is that I do get paid to write, but it's stuff no one really wants to read. Annual reports, site safety analysis reports (yes, they are a thing) workplace investigation reports, business cases...ad infinitum with the report thing. And some marketing. Which is awful and makes me feel sick.

I speak to aspiring writers doing TAFE courses about what you need to do to get paid to write. If you want to do it professionally, be prepared to prostitute yourself. Do what the client wants. For the money. Maybe the comparison is inappropriate, and I do apologize to anyone who has had life experiences of the more conventional version.  

This site is a great place to exercise a bit of creative writing. We can forget about grammar, string  sentences, forget how to spell. It doesn't matter. As long as it lets some Gremlins out of our heads and gives someone a giggle, it's all good.

I have a novel that is simmering on the back burner for a number of years. Think Rachael Treasure meets Wolf Creek. Female protagonist who is a right nasty piece of work. Sex, violence, revenge , mental health issues and black humour in a rural setting. I just don't know if I have the energy to either finish it or pitch it. 

Thank you again for your words of encouragement. Marg xxx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,377
    Options
    "Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it's the only way you can do anything really good." William Faulkner. 

And it sounds wonderfully dark, not bad at all.
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    Definitely try to finish your book, Marg - I think you have a lot of people here for starters who would love to read it!  xxx
  • Romla
    Options
    Great storyline but if retaining a plot for a novel is hard atm how about short stories like Roald Dahl used to write for adults ?
  • Romla
    Options
    @Zoffiel have a look at Roald Dahl’s Tales of the Unexpected