Lifestyle and Diet Changes After Cancer.

Options

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options

I exercise as it's good for me mentally and helps me get moving in the morning with my osteo that's it. Other than that I agree with zoffiel(Marg) as usual
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    I exercise as it's good for me mentally and helps me get moving in the morning with my osteo that's it. Other than that I agree with zoffiel(Marg) as usual
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,832
    Options
    I am 100% with @Zoffiel  when she says "Guess what? I don't give a shit.".  Yes, I try to be good and eat healthily as per @iserbrown (did we go to the same school ???) but in the end we all got the BC.  Now I am really thinking that the medicos have us all by the short and curlys with the 'this and that', the big money spinning scheduled appointments, the medications and basically spreading the fear.
    All the time, as I play ball with them, I am wondering what would happen if I got off the treadmill ?  
    As has been said, the amount of research projects with differing outcomes included a small percentage of women and like most big announcements re diet (not necessarily cancer-related) how many of them are proven to be wrong down the track ?
    I am going to enjoy what is left of life as best I can and if I die a few years earlier then too bad - and yes, that will include some wine when I want it !
    Enjoy your day, wherever you are - but hoping it is warmer there than it is here in Victoria.
    Summer  :-)

• au0rei
    au0rei Member Posts: 248
    Options

CellyK said:

We all have different approaches which is totally fine.  For me, my approach has been - like @au0rei - to research info (and have found similar results) and focussing on really nourishing stuff as a way to 'love' myself.  I have less meat, and a lot more fruit & veg (saves $$ too).  
    It's not just about cancer, nor punishing myself with 'rabbit food'.  I'm actually learning to cook a range of new, delicious fresh foods that are full of flavour.  I don't feel like I'm missing out.  I had a Magnum ice-cream yesterday, no drama - because most of the time I'm eating healthy stuff.  
    Not only have I had some of the yummiest smoothies I've ever had, but I'm actually feeling better and sleeping better than before the diagnosis!  My hands and feet keep warmer (probably all the ginger & garlic - good for the circulation) and actually my appetite is just better.  So I plan on staying with the changes - for all the other benefits.
    In a surprise additional benefit - my daughter is starting to experiment with more healthy food - following my example I suppose - and is getting over her phobia of leafy greens!
    It must be really hard with family members that don't want any changes though.  I remember trying to eat less meat when I was still with my X - he reacted as though I was asking him to donate a testicle to science.  

Hahaha so funny about your X!

Yes I totally am with you @CellyK. My main motivation is after hearing about so many recurrences around me. It made me question why. Anyway I am not saying diet is the guaranteed way to go. I believe there are so many factors involved. But diet is certainly a great way to head since I do believe we are what we eat. We would not pump diesel or water into a Lamborghini, a simple principle on how we should feed our body well. I totally agree that since my diagnosis, it has been a positive journey learning so many new healthy recipes. My body is really happier. My skin has never been so smooth my whole life, I actually cannot believe it. My bowels have never been so regular! I just feel healthier in general, aches and pains are so much manageable (I used to sit in my massage chair so frequently due to those!). I really am sure a large part of this is due to a big shift in my diet.

My kids have picked up on my diet. I am learning to be creative (not easy!) in giving them healthy yet delicious food. I know it's not guaranteed perfect health ever after but I feel it's worth a try. I have never knew how important our diet is. I thought I was eating a good diet when I ate mostly cooked veges, carbs and meat for the past 40 years. I was not a fruit person but now I eat a lot more fruit besides vege smoothies and raw salads.  I still take my carbs (red rice, black rice, brown rice, quinoa, pasta etc homemade if possible). I am also enjoying my new diet. We have cut out almost all animal protein (I really do love meat esp seafood but I believe it is more that I love the taste of meat rather than needing it) and heading towards an organic plant based diet as much as we can. When we do eat out once a week, the kids do get eat some meat. Occasionally I take some fish or even enjoy a slice of passion fruit tart at the cafe. They are actually really happy about their decisions to cut out animal proteins and dairy.  I make sure we fill the gap - taking Vegansafe B12 - taking almond milk or organic soy for them to get protein and calcium....etc. Hubby is certainly resistant and I would cook some organic chicken or pork for him. But as a family, we are certainly making positive changes, compared to bad diet we had for the past years.

My radiotherapy oncologist agrees that not enough emphasis is put into educating cancer patients about diet change.

I have actually typed a whole big reply but could not complete it and lost it even though I saved it as draft. I have retyped and here's some videos that I hope you can watch for yourself. Again, I am not trying to preach something here. But I want to share and if you can benefit, I would be so happy. If you don't agree, that is cool too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PkJ1MO-LNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnlwqEii2I

I read these books :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cancer-After-How-Avoid-Recurrence/dp/149609736X

https://www.bookdepository.com/China-Study-T-Colin-Campbell/9781932100662

I also make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep daily nowadays. I hope to be able to maintain this lifestyle because I am truly happier. To be honest, going through cancer has made many positive changes in my life. And it also made me more aware. I actually notice many friends around me who look very tired most of the time. And I wish they can start adjust their life style in terms of diet and rest. Don't wait for a sickness such as cancer to strike! Many of us are tired due to the diet we eat, and the little rest we get. I must emphasize that I am not being judgemental here, but this is what I observe.

Exercise (for fitness and detox) is definitely very important. But I would think diet is even more important. There is no point exercising very well and eat junk food every other day lol. Another area I strongly feel needs to change is our mind (stress, unhappiness etc). Next would be helping our body to detox.  I read that cancer is toxicity and deficiency. It definitely sounded like me. xxx
  • Lisa_BCNA
    Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi all, I just wanted to jump in and share some links to BCNA and the Cancer Council's resources about healthy eating and cancer. Like many of you have said, if you are thinking about making significant changes to your diet, it is important to talk to your doctor because they will be able to give you the best information based on available evidence.

While you might hear about special diets, such as the Gerson diet or coffee enemas, there is no credible evidence that alternative therapies are effective in treating breast cancer, even though they are often marketed as being a 'cure'. Also, there is no scientific evidence that women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer need to follow any special diet or eat particular foods to prevent a recurrence. It is recommended that women affected by breast cancer follow the same dietary guidelines that are recommended for Australian adults.

You may have had a look at these resources already, but just in case you have not, here are links to information and booklets which may be helpful:
    • You can find information about healthy eating on our website here.
    • You can download or order our booklet Healthy eating and breast cancer from the resources section of our website. The booklet was developed with input from accredited practicing dieticians and other health professionals.
    • You can download or order the Cancer Council's booklet, Nutrition and Cancer from their website here.
    Best wishes,
    Lisa
  • June1952
    Options
    I have always eaten a healthy diet and yet I now have no boob !!!
    Whilst diet may help it must not be the only thing.  Stress is also an issue but most ladies have some stresses in their lives.
  • Twiggyjumps
    Twiggyjumps Member Posts: 116
    Options
    I've got friends that drink excessively and smoke and nothing apart from their grey looking skin and more wrinkles. I've tried to be balanced and eat fairly well. And this happens. Sucks!  So here I am at Maccas - may as well have some enjoyment. Lol :) 
  • June1952
    Options
    Hi @Twiggyjumps
    .... and enjoy a wonderful mug of strong coffee whilst there !
    Summer  :-)
  • CellyK
    CellyK Member Posts: 23
    Options
    @au0rei - Great to see that you're enjoying your new choices.  I didn't mention that since my new focus on healthy eating, my skin looking great, I'm really regular and am losing weight.  All pleasant 'side effects'.  Only thing is - I didn't have much 'meat on my bones' to begin with - so now have to look for more energy rich foods to keep the weight on!  Which can and does include cheesecake  :p
    @Summerhill38 is right that chronic stress is a major factor - and yes us women are prone to run around 'carrying the load'.  I was under a huge amount of stress in the 2 years leading to my diagnosis, a relationship breakup, moving house, money stress, a child with extra needs, and family court to boot.  I'm totally convinced that stress played a big part. 
    Having said that - really nutritious food (which can taste great if you have good recipes) gives your body a better chance to cope with the strain - and to heal.  Stress depletes our bodies of nutrients - and toxins can build up too.  
    So exercise is a big part of it as well.  I used to think I had kinda healthy habits.  But really looking at it seriously - I was getting pretty lazy on a day to day basis.  Always too busy to get something fresh.  
    Now it's like a daily 'devotion' - in actions - I remind myself that I matter.  (And others can wait!!) That it's worth stopping - and putting something better into my body.  
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options

Hard to see how healthy eating can be bad, it's just not necessarily a protection or a cure (take that, Paleo Pete!!). Negative stress (a little bit of occasional stress may be quite good for us) can certainly cause a number of physical health problems, but the evidence that it can cause cancer is weak. Some studies have indicated a link between various psychological factors and an increased risk of developing cancer, but others have not.

People under stress may smoke, overeat or drink alcohol, which can increase a person’s risk for cancer. And some who do these things never get cancer - my lifelong pipe smoking grandfather, who died because his heart stopped at 94,  hardly ever saw a doctor, let alone get cancer!  A family may have a higher risk for cancer because of an inherited risk factor, which must be stressful but it's not the stress that causes the illness to another family member, it's the inherited risk. I have limited my intake of dairy fat because of a study about breast cancer recurrence, but I also note that the study did not factor in how many of the women surveyed (also no food diary!) had discontinued hormonal therapy. Given Australian stats are that nearly 60% of women don't complete their 5 or 10 years, that might make a significant difference. Or not.

One day we will know for sure what causes cancers but not yet. My own entirely unqualified opinion is that it may be an accumulation of factors that tips the balance. Which is not much comfort, but "putting something better in our bodies" sounds a good idea anyway.  

• au0rei
    Options

I have always eaten a healthy diet and yet I now have no boob !!!
    Whilst diet may help it must not be the only thing.  Stress is also an issue but most ladies have some stresses in their lives.

@Summerhill38 I thought I had a healthy diet too esp compared with my hubby who ate unhealthily and never had cancer! What is your definition of healthy? It can be subjective
  • au0rei
    Options

Afraser said:

Hard to see how healthy eating can be bad, it's just not necessarily a protection or a cure (take that, Paleo Pete!!). Negative stress (a little bit of occasional stress may be quite good for us) can certainly cause a number of physical health problems, but the evidence that it can cause cancer is weak. Some studies have indicated a link between various psychological factors and an increased risk of developing cancer, but others have not.

People under stress may smoke, overeat or drink alcohol, which can increase a person’s risk for cancer. And some who do these things never get cancer - my lifelong pipe smoking grandfather, who died because his heart stopped at 94,  hardly ever saw a doctor, let alone get cancer!  A family may have a higher risk for cancer because of an inherited risk factor, which must be stressful but it's not the stress that causes the illness to another family member, it's the inherited risk. I have limited my intake of dairy fat because of a study about breast cancer recurrence, but I also note that the study did not factor in how many of the women surveyed (also no food diary!) had discontinued hormonal therapy. Given Australian stats are that nearly 60% of women don't complete their 5 or 10 years, that might make a significant difference. Or not.

One day we will know for sure what causes cancers but not yet. My own entirely unqualified opinion is that it may be an accumulation of factors that tips the balance. Which is not much comfort, but "putting something better in our bodies" sounds a good idea anyway.  

@Afraser
     hi, totally agree that sometime soon a combo of factors can tip the scale over! :(
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    It seems to be in constant debate and there just isn't any. I too have changed up how I eat and it's great, I feel great! exercise makes me feel great too..BUT it has zero bearing on BC they are not intertwined. So many benefits from doing it all...but it's purely because it makes you feel good. 

I think if there were a study done..the only common denominator across the world could possibly be is Stress...and I wouldnt be surprised to hear that most women have always put themselves last, I was one of those Women. This was a key component in it all that had to change...self nurture in anyway shape or form whatever that looks like to you :) 

Don't twist yourselves inside out for prevention in diet or exercise honestly...just do what makes you feel good!!! inside and out!!! that's it. Remember that all Studies are only minority studies thats why each week we have a different food or diet that either causes or prevents BC...every Professional will tell you that. 

xx Hugs Melinda 
  • au0rei
    Options
    Hi all, I keep reading about studies using minority or small figures but this one is a huge one over 26 years :smile:

https://www.bookdepository.com/China-Study-T-Colin-Campbell/9781932100662

The documentary Forks Over Knives is based on this study.

We are constantly exposed to toxins in our food and environment etc... in fact one that was mentioned in the China Study is carcinogenic aflatoxin which can cause cancer and animal products actually promote cancer growth. Aflatoxins is commonly found in plant foods (peanuts corn....) if care is not given. Aflatoxin is just one of them.

Also I totally agree about doing what makes us feel happy but it can be subjective too. I do not deny that vegetarians or vegans get cancer or other affluent diseases too but a good diet can be subjective again. I totally feel that our modern diet is questionable as affluent countries have high rate of these types of diseases.

Sometimes we really need to research to educate ourselves. And this world is very confusing because every one has his or her opinion including doctors and nutritionits!!! I still feel that knowledge is power and we can make informed decisions about our life but not to be caught up in it and be driven by fear...

I used to be an avid gardener but I also used chemical fertilizers and pesticides (though I tried to be as safe as I could but i was not actually educated). I did not actually value organic food as I do now despite being a gardener back then. It was more like a hobby. Now I am back to gardening and would do all that I can to provide true organic produce for my family.

xxx