breast cancer roller coaster

Options

Comments

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @LMK74, if your facial hair is worrying you there is a depilatory cream specially for the face put out by Nair which is excellent and for sensitive skin - just be careful about the amount of time you leave it on your face. I am fair skinned and have somehow managed to grow a couple of wonderfully thick 1/2 black, 1/2 white hairs at the corners of my mouth (must be my Cruella De Ville coming out!!) What the????? Anyway this cream works wonders. I work in a predominantly male field and a couple of years ago was asked whether I would support Movember - told the guys that without my cream I would actually be able to outgrow their mow's without even trying - bwahahahaha - loved the looks on their faces - priceless!! Xx
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Socoda, if it gets worse I  will try the cream. You made me laugh.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    My troubles are mostly in my chemo brain which you cant see. What idiotic stuff that comes out of my mouth though is a big tell. Its like I've gone back to being a kid again with no diplomacy at all. Mostly I just shut up in conversations now.
  • Cassina
    Cassina Member Posts: 74
    Options
    I could accept if Mentally ill patients make comments but this is from staff who should know better, I think it is that they forget how it comes across and we are super sensitive anyway
  • Annedipa
    Annedipa Member Posts: 73
    Options
    I get my hairy chin waxed every so often... I think its menopause that did it as i was fine before the chemopause. As for comments...yep people can be hurtful. I always wore a wig to work but as the hair grows back underneath it gets real hot and itchy. Couldnt wait any linger so i ditched the wig when my hair was about 2 to 3cm long. By that stage i think most of the office knew I'd had cancer so there was a few looks but no comments when i went in...until lunchtime..in the office tea room when one woman asked me if I'd had a hair cut. Well kind of i said...and before i could say any more she burst out laughing...loud...loud enough for the whole room to hear. Really i just wanted the floor to open up and swallow me then and there. But i just finished my lunch in silence...each day after that got easier and easier.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    @Annedipa, your lunchroom woman sounds like a candidate for a bitchslap!!!!
  • LMK74
    Options
    Socoda, I second that. 
  • Cassina
    Options
    just like my lunchroom mate who told me how I was getting fat!
  • LMK74
    Options
    Wtf is with people being so down right rude.
  • Cassina
    Options
    I think they think, this will not happen to me!  and do not realize the impact it has on our already fragile self esteem, 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    My lecturer today chose to use my circumstances as an example of how leaders are resilient and able to function through adversity. One one hand, I can see his point, the other hand squealed and thought 'How dare you assume you know what drives me.'
    This is my second trip on the cancer train and it is the second time I have decided to not hide myself; it's interesting how that seems to signal that my story is now public property. I can be the exclamation mark on someone else's conversation ( I stole that quote, but can't remember who from)
    We are tougher than they can imagine and there are more important things to worry about than thoughtless fools.
  • Annedipa
    Options
    @socoda great idea!
  • Annedipa
    Options
    @Zoffiel absolutley! Thoughtless fools indeed...and i dont think anyone has the right to use your story without your prior knowledge. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    My long white facial hair and neck hair seems to have settled. Now though I have heavier darker lip hair so have learned to wax. I just keep thinking...ffs what next?. (Eyebrow hair grown back in weird areas also...such is life) Not to mention white pubic hair to start with...now grey and much less...possibly aramatose inhibitor contributing.
  • Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I actually went through a few days of feeling that I just didn't want to be labelled as Cancer Chick.... so, @Cassina I get it. At it's worst if felt like I had a whopping big sign over my head saying "Cancer!!! Beware!!! Treat with kid gloves!!!!". I can laugh about it today, might not be able to laugh tomorrow.  Sending hugs your way and the only practical thing I can suggest is that you try being as open with everyone as you can. They need to find a way to cope too. I hope the one who said you were fat is feeling a bit mortified, it's very easy to be unthinking and blurt out all sorts of rubbish but that was pretty bad.