Port slipped/flipped - aching and painful

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited April 2017 in General discussion
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi Joannie,
    I dont have a port  as my chemo is given via a canula in either arm,depending on what arm they can fnd a vein.
    It seems very strange that you need an appointment to  get it repositioned. I would have thought that by going thru emergency dept that an registrar oncologist would attend to it.
    Don't wait for the appoinment and get it seen soon, you should not have to put up with its pain.
    Take care,  good luck. ..xxx 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    If pain is bad do go back. They might he able to hasten it. I guess the issue maybe having  an anesthetic and the need for that Dr to be available. If any signs of infection or swelling don't hesitate to go back. @Nadi ...any advice?. 
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Joannie, if you're in pain with it,insist they fix it. I don't have a port either,I refused. How are you tolerating the ac. I'm about to start ac in another week.
    Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @Joannie I am confused. My Port was put in by the breast surgeon and if I had a problem I was advised to tell his office. The oncologist was also aware of my Port. My port was put in my arm new procedure. I had a problem at one point and my oncologist asked for one of the more experienced chemo nurses for help. The problem was resolved. With 4 ac and 12 rounds taxol my oncologist stated my poor veins would have suffered. In the end happy to have my port.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @fairydust if in your arm it is probably a picc line not a port. Different thing.
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @Primek no I was the latest and greatest bran new procedure. Actually upperarm on the innerside. Had port at freemasons richmond under anaesthetic.
    Chemo nurses on oncology ward were very impressed had trouble putting needle in as on an angle. On day oncology also had problem size of needle to be used eventually resolved. Unusual port.
    I even have my official port card advising emergency staff I had a port. As I saw the surgeon for the procedure. I had the port removed when I had lumpectomy. Had chemo prior surgery.
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi Joanne. Sorry to hear about your port. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. The first time my port was inserted in January last year my whole chest hurt as well as right up into my neck and I had terrible headaches. It took about 3 weeks for the pain to settle down. Then in about May last year my port flipped and I ended up having to have a second surgery to correct it after the manual manipulation failed. I didn't get it replaced - just reattached to the chest muscle. Since the second surgery I have busted my stitches yet again. It is "floating" in my chest now and so far it hasn't flipped a second time (although it is blocked again with a fibrin sheath). I am keeping my fingers crossed it stays in its current position.

My port is painful from time to time, but not like it was when it was first inserted. I sleep on my stomach and I find that sometimes it presses into my chest wall and as a result causes me pain in the morning. A guy next to me in the chemo unit had a lot of pain as well as a swollen face in the mornings and he ended up having a blood clot in his port which turned out to be an emergency and required immediate surgery. I think if you are really worried get someone to look at it early if you can.

From memory I had to wait a few weeks before I could have surgery under a general anaesthetic to correct it and that was despite being a private patient. I had a general surgeon experience with ports put it in, and had to wait for an opening in his theatre times as well as for the anaesthetist to be available.  As @primek said, any sign of infection or a blood clot then I would suggest to either ring your chemo unit or go to emergency. Good luck with it.  Nadine
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @Joannie If it's flipped it will have torn the stich that holds it in place (sewn to your chest muscle. Ewww) Mine gives me the creeps on regular occasions and I can't wait to get rid if it now chemo is over. My Onc is being a bit coy about that. I'll start agitating once rads are finished as I can tolerate it for the moment.

Make. A. Fuss. Seriously, this shit is tough enough without feeling like you are being fobbed off. You don't want to have another chemo through your vein, so if there isn't a really good reason for it not to be repaired now (which you should be  told about) get stuck in. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

A civilized way to get difficult with hospitals is fill in a patient response form, on line if you have the capacity, so it goes through to their customer service people. I've found that a good way to get your issue onto the agenda as they must address any of those complaints. It may not get you to the top of the surgery list and won't help if there is a medical reason to leave things as they are, but you haven't been properly informed if that is the case which is a problem in itself. Marg

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • LMK74
    Options
    Joannie, I'm pleased your going ok on the ac. It's so much to get through isn't it but one day at a time.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Every six weeks or so. They will give it overhaul when they fix it and make sure it is patent.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • LMK74
    Options
    Thanks Joannie, I'm quite scared about starting it but hope I do not too badly.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • LMK74
    Options
    Good to hear Joannie. Hoping everything else goes smoothly for you too.