Hair loss and regrowth

Options
2»

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Ne I love your hair. Didn't realise it was 2 years! I have a long way to catch up then and was thinking I'd copy your style if it stays curly. I had a straight directional bob before. Wished I'd  taken  head shots of your gorgeous hair so I could show my hairdresser. (Wished we had more time to catch up at the Summit...it was full on but so great to meet you) Kath x
  • Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    Options

@EarthWalkerLisha When my hair first started growing back during chemo it was white and wiry, so I shaved it off and started again, because it was like mutant hair. Since then I haven't had a haircut, because I am still deciding whether I want to grow it long again or keep it short. I think it will depend on whether it stays curly, which is a bit of an unknown. One advantage though, with all this humid whether it just gets curlier, rather than when I had straight hair and it would go frizzy. And yes, my hair is soft, the top of my head feels like a bouncy castle!

• Ne
    Ne Member Posts: 336
    Options
    @primek after I posted I realised I said 2 years, which is actually since diagnosis not when chemo stopped.  Chemo stopped July 2015, so basically 20 months since chemo stopped and I have cut my hair a couple of times now so I think you could easily grow yours out in no time.  It was good to meet you too, definitely jam packed. 
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    Shaved my hair off this morning after handfulls were coming out. I hate it but I'll deal cos I have no choice! Farewell hair. See you again after chemo, hopefully not too different.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Molly, thats exactly how I handled it too, and I just found it was the best as theres so much else to deal with. Im 15 months post and ive had a couple of trims, it does come back different, mines really curly, chemo curls LOL I staighten it uuugh!! til I can cut it all out. its growing out slowly the top of my hair is straight now and looking like it used too. So you'll be back to normal before you know it! Hugs Melinda xo
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    That's awesome Melinda. I normally have very fine dead-straight hair, so I wonder if I'll get chemo curls too. Everyone elses curls look great on them, so I'm sure I'll love whatever growth I get after being bald!
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options

Molly001 said:

I'm sure I'll love whatever growth I get after being bald!

Exactly! It's wonderful when you have hair again. My incredibly fine blonde hair with a bit of a wave grew back even finer, dead straight and I described the colour as invisible! I started colouring it when it was about 2cm long as I still looked totally bald. Now (3 years later) it's still finer and straighter than it used to be but at least there is a bit of natural colour now - even if it is a dirty blonde/light brown. Obviously I still colour it and I'm rather liking being a red head!
    I would have loved chemo curls but it wasn't to be.
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    My hair was limp and dead straight before chemo. Then got the chemo curls. My curls were originally like shirley temple's!!! I have had 2 cuts now and it's only a little curly at the ends.. I miss them... but still grateful for hair!