Decision time - lumpectomy or masectomy?

Options

Comments

• Isaidso
    Isaidso Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your comments. It has made a world of difference. My appointment is this morning and I've decided to request a mastectomy. It's all a bit overwhelming but comforting to read that I share a common experience with wonderful women who are getting on with their lives and thriving ❤️
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Good luck with your appointment!  Take care xx
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Good luck with your decision. I hope you have the very best outcome, and I wish you strength through your recovery.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Best wishes for all your treatment and a cancer free future.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Thats reat to hear!! and yes you are right, so many are thriving post Mastectomy and that too, helps me enormously! x Melinda 
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi Terrie, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Having to decide on a type of surgery can be quite daunting. I too had a choice and decided on a lumpectomy because I had a strong desire to keep my nipple. Having a lumpectomy meant that I had to have radiation which wasn't too bad. But it was only after radiation that I was told should my cancer ever return  some time in the future then I will have fewer options for reconstruction after a mastectomy due to how radiation changes the breast tissue. You might want to ask about that.
  • Isaidso
    Options
    This forum has helped so much. Thanks Nadi. I'm learning so much from the forum. Due to my aversion to surgery (poor experience/reaction after bariatric surgery) I decided not to consider reconstruction. My mastectomy is booked for 25 January. I must say the closer it gets the more anxious I become, trying hard to manage it all. I know from reading about the experience of others that this is perfectly normal...so onwards we go! Thanks again Terrie 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Hi Terrie, wishing you all the best for next Wednesday.  The waiting is hard, I hope the next few days pass quickly for you.  I am also on the Gold Coast - if you need to talk or want to catch up for a coffee when you are up to it, just let me know.  Take care, Jane x

• Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Hi Terrie, I am just home from my surgery. I chose the lumpectomy option but due to breast size also had a reduction on both sides. I hope your surgeon is really good, as mine was. I am psychedelic in colour but the pain is minimal and controlled with Panadol and ibuprofen, much to my surprise. I came home with an after surgery bra on. I had a look today at Target and they had quite a good range of after surgery bras when you need them. Knowing you are going in for such surgery is very daunting, I was very anxious too. I hope you can find ways to deal with the anxiety, not long to go now and that cancer will be gone. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Once the decision is made it feels so much better. Goodluck with surgery.
  • Isaidso
    Options
    I'm now three days post mastectomy surgery and home. I've been reading the forum and it seems what I'm feeling is pretty normal - wanting to do things I 'd normally do but can't, swollen and tired and a little emotional. 
    I was advised that the sentinel node was clear and now await pathology, my appointment is on Thursday. 
    I know that others are recovering and receiving results and although I'm not posting comments, I am sending positive thoughts and virtual hugs. Terrie xxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Woo hoo clear sentinel node - that is a great result in itself - good luck with your appointment and take it easy!  Just walk those arms slowly up the wall - no lifting or hanging out washing - give it time to heal!  I used to do the washing and then walk from the machine to the maiden with one item at a time and hang them - I saw it as a bit of exercise and my independence!
    Take care
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Isaidso lovely you are home, now plenty of rest and nurture you...of course its emotional, none of it is easy. All the best for your results, keep us posted. Hugs Melinda xo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Great news on the clear nodes. Netflex or dvds help pass the time. Take care. X
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Glad to hear you are home and recovering well Terrie. And it's wonderful news about your clear sentinel nodes, that's a great start!  Hoping your good news continues on Friday.  
    Take care, Jane x