Feedback?

Options
2»

Comments

• Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    Options
    @socoda, you are awesome & I very well may take you up on that offer - just to keep me on the straight & narrow :)

I manage to maintain a pretty healthy diet but am always on the lookout for new ideas, superfoods etc to compliment it & thank you for the link I am going to print it & have a good read tonight after I'm done with the day.

And, thank you, my attitude was bad yesterday after that Cancer Council knockback & I had a very good talk with myself & gave myself a headslap for being so naughty then decided.. what the hell, I can do this for myself, I have all the support to achieve my goals right here on BCNA & at home from my hubby, kids & parkrun buddies.

I AM WOMAN - HEAR ME ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Share Member Posts: 217
    Options

@Cate64, please no apologies needed from you to me. At least it won't come as a shock, like it did to you !

In fact, this has given me plenty of opportunity in advance to ask lots of questions when they do ring as to WHY we are not considered part of their "target" audience simply because we are not curable.

Please, keep being a warrior princess and good luck with your 5 km run this Sunday. You are & will be amazing !!!

• Southgirl
    Southgirl Member Posts: 80
    Options
    @Cate64 and @Share, it just seems crazy (as well as very unfair) that people with MBC can't take part in the Healthy Living program. After my MBC diagnosis, the first thing my oncologist said was that I need to continue to get plenty of exercise and stay as fit as possible. But @Cate64 - use this disappointment as an incentive to get to your 10km goal - I'm sure you will do it!! @Share, now that you have also registered, please let us know what unfolds when they phone you. 
    Options

Update already @Jude M and @Cate64.

I received a phone call late yesterday afternoon.

When they asked the question about "how long since your last treatment" (they did exclude hormone treatment) I said I may need it in future due to mbc diagnosis. Two seconds of awkward silence followed by an "I'm sorry but .....".

Essentially, it is a pilot program run through the Uni of Qld and they have recently received the funding for it. They would like to roll it out first to "curable" patients and depending on the response/success/further funding it may be offered to those of us with mbc in the future !

I was given some further info re: an exercise physiologist (ESSA) and "healthy eating" which I have always embraced long before bc.

I may send a couple of these links as another separate discussion - could help a few people !  

@Cate64 - looks awesome - Run, Cate, Run ....xxxx

• Cate64
    Options
    To me, the whole "Program" has been completely misrepresented & the way it was explained to me is thats its a 3 year study in its infancy.

Options

Yes, @Cate64, spot on there.

Completely misrepresented.

Unfortunately their website is not set-up to give additional information when you are negotiating it. Rather than a "If you would like more info please ring 13 11 20" there should be an immediate "disclaimer" stating that this program is not for those who have secondary cancer.

@Anne-Marie_BCNA - perhaps this may be something you could suggest on behalf of us and those in the future who may wish to enrol in that program ?  

• Cate64
    Options
    @Share, I first saw it when I picked up the pamphlet in Day Oncology, I read it & re-read it numerous times over a month or more before deciding to give it a go & there was nothing in that to state 'conditions' either.
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    Hi @Share, I just wanted to let you know that @Fiona_BCNA who is part of our policy team was in touch with them on Tuesday straight after we read the post from Cate to get a better understanding of the program. We had expressed to them that it was not made clear on the website that it was open to those with primary cancer and very much needed to be.
    Our Physical activity page on our website has some information which Fiona had recommend ~Ann-Marie

Options
    Thanks @Ann-Marie_BCNA - your updates and hard work is always much appreciated.
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    My pleasure @Share, that's what we are here for, thank you  :)