maryn_ Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

As I said in my last comment not sure if im connected

• Lynne
    Lynne Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mary, yep you made it :0).  Confusing at first isn't it.  Welcome to the BCNA.  The women here are fantastic, very supportive.  Feel free to chat away :0)

Lynne

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi there Maryn, yes you are on the board .... feel free to browse through the pages ..... introduce yourself and write something in "Your Blog" and we will all see it.

We are a bit like (actually we are not a bit like .... we ARE ) your new extended family so if you want to ask questions, have a rant, share news etc etc feel free to do so.

Welcome .....

Cheers .... Shirl xx

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ree,

I hope all went well with your operation and that you are now on the road to recovery. I was 35 when I had my first mastectomy and have just had a second one on 26th August this year at the grand old age of 42!  My boys were only 5 and 8 the first time and I didn't really tell them very much about what was going on....I just told them that mummy had to go into hospital to have an operation but that I was going to be fine as long as I got lots of cuddles from them!  I was lucky enough to know that the first lot was DCIS and wouldn't need any further treatment.  The second time though it was invasive cancer and my boys are now 13 & 15.  I have told them that I have breast cancer and we have kept them informed all the way along as to what I was having done etc.  I have just gone for my first chemo today (so far I don't feel any different!) and they were quite worried but now that they can see that I am ok, they are a lot happier.  We are going to have a haircutting day soon where I am going to get them to cut my hair really short before I lose it - then I will wear my wig and hopefully it will make them feel a bit happier about the whole process of the hair loss :)

Anyway, if you need anyone to talk to, I am here.  Add me as a contact if you like and I will answer any messages as soon as possible.

Take care,

Louise x

• Caron
    Caron Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Lynne,

Just thought that I would send you a message, upon reading your reply that you dont have a partner., I am the same, no partner and my support group consists of my doctors and a few that i chat to on this site here.

So always looking to fill that cup of friendship, with new found friends...one can never have too many...even with those little faires out in the garden ...that dont like the thought of coming inside and helping out with that never ending thing called 'housework'

Look forward to your reply, take care and be safe

Regards

Caron :)

• Lynne
    Lynne Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Caron

Thank you so much for your message, made me smile, gotta love the fairies lol.  Well no luck on the support group front but never mind.  Funny thing is, having recently sold my home, I have found I am living next door to one of the girls I have been going through treatment with lol.  She is lovely and has invited me to her birthday party/gathering tomorrow night which is nice.  I agree, and am looking forward to making new friends as I move forward through this.  Where are you located?  How are you travelling?  I hope all is going well for you.  I have found that I have been experiencing pain in the breast where I had surgery and am surprised by this so long after the event but perhaps this normal.

Bestest regards,

Lynne

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lynne, congratulations on selling your home! Bet it's a huge relief! So where are you living now? Great to hear you have a new BC buddy next door! Yes, some pain at the surgery site can be normal...I know I've experienced this from time to time. Perhaps mention it at your next check-up though. Hope all is well Lynne, Celeste xx

• Caron
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello there Lynne,

Thankyou for your message...lovely to hear that my message brought a smile to you. Congrats to you on the selling of your home and your new found friend, we can never, ever have too many friends...its a blessing, isnt it :)

Im located in Morwell (this site has it down as Hazelwood, something to do with the post code area number i feel, but its Morwell). Today is the 1st day that i have actually seen improvement, from having side effects of my 1st chemo treatment on the 11th Jan..its taken a while, and its been a rough time, but im here, and as i sit here today...im seeing the other side, not normal ..but not in that deep dark hole that i was in. So its an improvement.

I dont have pain in the area where my breast was removed, but i have alot of numbness. My pain is associated with having the anxillary clearance done, numbness and tingles and pain in the underarm and arm itself - i have been told its ok, that everyone is individual in their own healing time, and its not infected, i dont have lympodemia ...its just taking its own time to heal, soo...i have to rest, not try to do to much excersise(although still doing the things that i was shown to do, and massaging the area too), with trying to get the muscles working again...patience, patience...

I would maybe ask your Doctor about the pain..just as a precaution, and to ease your mind, that all is ok?...but thats just a friendly tid bit from me to you :)

I do hope that pain subsides, and that you are kept safe

take care

~hugs~

Caron xx

• Caron
    edited March 2015
    Options

this is an added p.s

....just wanted to know if you will accept my invite as a friend, and hmm...we are about 2 hours distance from each other(give or take a few minutes, traffic wise)  ...but im here if you would like to chat, or talk on the phone..i dont mind...i just think its wonderful that you are within meeting distance..if you get what i mean

anyways...the offer is there

Caron x

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

glad to hear things are on the up, i still have pain in my breast now and again but not as often, i had my  lumpectomy in 2008, and my surgeon said my breast would be changing for a good couple of years.  i almost think now the operated breast is bigger than the other one, strange the way our bodies react, but if there is one thing i have learnt from bc, is to now ask the doctors questions if there is anything worrying me (even if it is a niggle thought).

Take Care Moira

• Rel
    Rel Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

I had a Left mastectomy 2006, right mastectomy 2008, senital nodes clear. No further treatment. I have CHEK2 breast cancer gene.

I am interested in basic reconstruction, using tissue expanders and then silicon implants.

I was wondering what the usual down time, and what the limitations/time of recovery. Time in hospital, time when you can drive or lift etc.

Also pain level of this surgey.

I would appreaciate any information

Regard,

Narelle

• Rel
    Rel Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

I had a Left mastectomy 2006, right mastectomy 2008, senital nodes clear. No further treatment. I have CHEK2 breast cancer gene.

I am interested in basic reconstruction, using tissue expanders and then silicon implants.

I was wondering what the usual down time, and what the limitations/time of recovery. Time in hospital, time when you can drive or lift etc.

Also pain level of this surgey.

I would appreaciate any information

Regard,

Narelle

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Narelle,  just wanted to say welcome to the site -- I'm glad you found your way here. :)   I'm Di, the network admin, so ask away if you have any questions, otherwise enjoy browsing around.

Just wanted to let you know that this is a reasonably old post so you might not receive many replies here.  Best idea might be to make a new post in your own blog (click on the 'my blog' link in your pink profile box on the right side of the page, and then the 'create a post' link.  That way your post will show up on the "all posts" page and others will see it (you can find the "all posts" page here: http://www.bcna.org.au/node/all/blog/network).  

If you want some more information about how the network works, then take a look at the 'Help' page.  There's a link at the top right of all network pages, and here's the page link if you want to bookmark it: http://www.bcna.org.au/help.

Anyway, enjoy the network and don't be afraid to try things out, you can't break anything! :)

• Ree
    Ree Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Heidi,

Welcome to our little place of sanity - well, mine anyway although I'm sure the other girls would agree  :O) My name is Cherie - Ree usually - and I am 34 with 3 small boys as well. Don't they get to be a handful at times! 

You have had a rough trot haven't you? Make sure that you take time just for yourself, it will make it easier to find your balance.

I don't think that I really know anything that can help you with your questions. I had thought about having the test a few years ago but put it off - young, breastfeeding devotee, regular checks, blah, blah, blah - then got caught anyway :O( I am the same as your family background, a really strong matriarchal history of BC and OC. I know one of my cousins chose to have a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy and has never regretted it but she had the gene test as well and although she never disclosed to me the results, I assume it was a very high likelihood of her developing BC.

I am sure though, that the other wonderful ladies in here with the wealth of knowledge will jump forward to help you or point you in the right direction. I hope your journey will be a positive one and if you ever wish to just chat, vent or need support, feel free to contact me.

Ree xoxox