Get Connected Day!

Options
Di_BCNA
Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
edited October 2010 in Day to day
This is the Get Connected post, which is a place where you can introduce yourself if you'd like to widen your connections.

What to do...

Comment to this post (use the comment form at the bottom of the page) with a short note about yourself and who you're looking to connect to.  Easy!

If you see someone with experience similar to yours, who you'd like to connect to, then just click their username (in their post) and you will end up on their profile page.  Then all you need to do is look on the left side of the page under their picture and you'll see an "add contact" link and follow the prompts.

Why connect to others?

One of the good things about connecting to others, is that all of their blog posts will show up on your homepage in a reading list.  So if you haven't visited the site in a few days, you'll still see what everyone is up to!

Important note

Remember to check your own privacy settings on your "edit" page. There's no need to reveal anything personal or private, but if you want others to connect to you, you should make some of your My Profile settings "public" so others can find out a bit about you (eg. 'my story', 'about' me' and 'breast cancer experience'). 

If you're not sure what to do, you might like to read this post on how to change your privacy settings.

Have fun!

Di

Comments

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Kate and welcome to the network, I'm Di, one of the administrators. I hope you find your way around okay but just ask if you need a hand.
  • -Samantha-
    -Samantha- Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Sam and I've been thru the BC journey over the last 3 years, BRCA1+, Grade 3 IDC, Lumpectomy, Axcillary Clearance, TAC Chemotherapy, Bi-Lateral Mastectomy and Reconstruction with Tissue expanders and silicone gel implants. Guess you could say, I've done it all and I've only JUST turned 40!

I've been working with BCNA as a Community Liaison since 2009 and I'm loving it. With a small business to run and 2 daughters to raise, life is very busy, but never too busy to make new friends.

So I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar situation or just looking for someone who's been there, to listen.

Sam :-)
  • Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sam and welcome! Look forward to seeing you around the Network (and congrats on the big 4-0 ! ;)

Di
  • Cazz
    Cazz Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My name is Caren and my BC experience began in March 2009. 4xChemo, a year of Herceptin, a bi-lateral mastectomy and reconstruction later and I'm on the road to recovery. I turn 49 in 3 weeks and it's going to be a pink Birthday/Recovery celebration.

Would love to talk to anyone and share experiences. It's a rough ride and it's nice to feel that you are not alone.

Caren
  • Cazz
    Cazz Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Kate - it is very daunting and you really do feel like you are on a roller coaster ride. I'm on the other side of it all now so my thoughts go out to you as you begin treatment. Would love to chat and be of any assistance I can, even if it's just an ear to listen.

Hope all goes well.
    Caren
  • Kate.277
    Kate.277 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your support Caren and a big congrats to you making it through!

I hope you have a really deserved special celebration.

I know I will make it though, it's just when you think you have got one thing under wraps as it were, there is something else that you have to get your head around....it's just that out of control thing.....but it will work out, roll on Christmas and bring on 2011 when I have put this chemo to bed!
    :) Kate

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Celeste, and welcome! Hope you enjoy the network, just ask if you need a hand with anything (you've already found this group, so that's a good start! ;)

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Caren!  Welcome to the network. :)

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Kate,

I see you were scheduled to start treatment on 29th July, I have just come back from the community liason training, and am busy looking through the network site, i hope things are going well for you, if you feel the need or the energy to get on here, please keep in touch with us all, its a great way to get support from women who have gone through and are going through it. GOOD LUCK

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Shirl!  Nice to see you here. :)

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

G'day Mel! :)

Hope you find the network useful -- just ask if you need a hand with anything or with finding your way around.

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Mel.

i Mel, sorry to hear about your secondaries, and wish you well, its a bit of a pain, when we think we get past one this, then another is added, at least we have this great site that we can come on to at any time day or night for support, and communicate with women all over Australia. Kepp in touch Moira

• TechnicalWriter
    TechnicalWriter Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello.  First, thank you to Moira1, ShirlO and Tanya for their kind words to me already.  I introduced myself earlier without realising there's a weekly forum to do so.  So I will do two introductions for the price of one!

My name is Cynthia.  I am 46, very married, child-free (with a cat).  I was just diagnosed last week with invasive ductal carcinoma and am due for surgery on Wednesday coming (1st September).  I will have a lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy.  The closer my surgery comes the more sad I feel at the impending loss of the shape and size of my breast.  I would like to hear from anyone else who's had a lumpectomy and hear about your response to it and how your breast turned out afterwards.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Thanks.  Cynthia

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Cynthia and welcome. Just ask if you need a hand with anything relating to the network. :)

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mel, my name is Celeste and I am also new to the site! I was sorry to read that you've had to start treatment again....damn pesky cancer! I guess all you can do is take it one day at a time, and take comfort in the fact that you got through it first time around.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello.....from one newbie to another!

Take care, Celeste