Slow Down Project

Options
JenD
JenD Member Posts: 16
edited March 4 in Creative Corner
Hiya, I am starting a new creative project, thought it might be good place to show my efforts.

With a lot of wait time coming up with appointments and treatments I was looking at a portable time fill option - so hand embroidery it is! I just wanted a small, achievable, positive to not need to think too much but focus on.

Starting with straight lines (oops maybe will not do it all in 24hrs...remember the slow down being the aim 😉). Then a cross stitch, then a bigger challenge. Three simple kits to start while I learn some needlework.   If I am happy with my efforts, I then have a bigger free hand in mind, using some quilting project fabric I keep not having time for.... but now do for a bit.  Watch this space 🙂🩷.  

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    When I was at art school (Glasgow) a year of embroidery studies was required if you intended to teach (long dropped - both me and my art school!) but you know, you just might have kicked something off - small, easy to stop and start. Now, whatever happened to my stitch book??
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,588
    Options
    Well done you, @JenD!!  I don't have the patience for needlework ..... I took a small cross stitch project with me on the plane to the UK in 1977 .... it was in the bin before I left the plane!  LOL. I've never been good at sewing anything!!
  • JenD
    Options
    The "modern" kits are bright and colourful.  It will humour me for a bit, the distraction is good.   I messaged a friend saying that all the jigsaws and embroidery is exhausting and it is now naptime 🤣  - she replied that I sounds a scene from Bridgeton!  (Yah, I will take that).
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Onya!  A project is a good distraction from treatment.   I still have my sewing books from school with the stitch samplers, some have good marks as in 9/10 and others are average!  Never appreciated it at the time but now I quite enjoy some embroidery and knowing how to tack something or back stitch, blanket stitch is handy occasionally!
  • JenD
    Options
    Ive used some crotchet doileys dying them or tea staining and on frames they make great dream catchers.
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 707
    Options
    @JenD i got my granddaughter everything she needed to make dream catchers. She made one and started a second one then lost interest still got it all maybe one day one of my 7 other grandchildren will take it up. 
    2 of the girls are coming over in the next holidays to learn to sew one wants to make some aprons. The other one wants to learn how to take up her jeans and pants. Told them first the have to master sewing around a square and a circle. 
    Im actually looking for 2nd hand sewing machines for them to take home. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    This is memory lane!  The first thing we made was a bag, to hold our sewing books and projects.  Machined, press studs and then we had to draw our name on the front Flap and then chain stitch our name!

@jend thanks for prompting memories and best wishes with your project and treatment 
    Take care
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,588
    Options
    What a great idea to do with your Mum's Doilies @Annie C!!    Can't wait to see the results!!  ;)  Hint Hint!

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 922
    Options
    @JenD congratulations on your craft project.   Busy hands are great to slow the mind down while waiting for appointments etc.   Can wait to see the finished projects.   I do scrapbooking and I have done a bit during and after treatment.  It gives me a lot of joy. 

@cranky_granny I am sure you will love your time with CWA and get to finish your projects.

@iserbrown and @Annie C I think schools should bring back sewing / cooking for all students.  There are a lot of kids  / young adults that are unable to cook or do basic sewing.    In my year 7 class we had to sew our school uniform winter skirt.        Our local alterations shop charges $25.00 to take up the hem on a pair of pants / jeans.   I have a daughter who is a little short and she is having some sewing lessons and one thing she is learning to take up the hem on a pair of pants.   She said this was a bit boring.  She changed her mind when I said the other options was for her to pay for the alterations of her pants herself.    
  • JenD
    Options
    Update - 1st stitching done.   Onto a cute little satin/cross stitch.
  • TaraJ
    TaraJ Member Posts: 37
    Options
    What a great idea, I need to find a little project as well, one can only flop around on the couch watching tv for so many days in a row

Have seen lots of people crocheting hats /beanies to go in the free  tubs for people to take  at hospital , which is a good one , but not sure I'm that creative
  • TaraJ
    TaraJ Member Posts: 37
    Options
    A patchwork quilt is one of the things on my bucket list ... One day
    Love the idea of using the dollies , such a great idea