Applying for jobs & disclosing treatment

Options
sjd_barra
sjd_barra Member Posts: 26
Hi, 
After a year of treatment for metastatic IBC, I need to urgently return to work.
There is no way I could spend another year without an income.
my question is;
How do I disclose that I have metastatic cancer and need to attend monthly appointments, without it affecting my chances of getting a job.
Also, my doctor has put limitations on what I can and cannot do, but I am only qualified to do the ‘cannot’ stuff. 
Should I just bite the bullet and start at the bottom of the career ladder again or lie to continue my career path knowing I could damage my bones.

I feel embarrassed that I am in this position and cannot provide for my family.  Our quality of life is at the lowest we have ever experienced.

How do I make memories for my children if I can barely afford to feed them.

Thank you

Comments

• Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @sjd_barra thank you for posting your questions.  I am sorry that you are finding it all very hard going..  Please dont hesitate to call our helpline on 1800 500 258 to speak with one of the cancer nurses for information and or support. It could be helplful to speak with one of the nurses.  Would you like me to post your question in the main discussion forum?  You may get more of a response if you post in the main discussion forum as I dont think many members visit this group. kind regards Giovanna
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @sjd_barra sending you a private message cheers Giovanna
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    Hi @sjd_barra I had to return to full time work after having a year off and losing our business in the process. It isn’t easy. I am so tired and because I deal with customers who are ‘perfect’ and ‘always right’ I often get stressed. I flake it at the end of each day. However, I have lost the financial stress so it kinda evens out. I told my bosses from the start that I still had to attend appts and they were cool with it and told me I could use up some sick leave, holiday pay or take leave without pay for those days. They know others with cancer so were very understanding. I have adapted my work so that things I am unable to do can be done another way. I realise this isn’t possible in every situation. Are you able to transfer your work skills to another job without starting from the bottom? Sending big hugs as you navigate this next step.