Prep for surgery

Hulos
Hulos Member Posts: 94
Hi,
 Having my surgery  on 31/5, i am very scared although its no longer mastectomy but lumpectomy. 
The 16 rounds  of chemo has shrunk my tumour,  that is thecreason including removal  of lymp nodes. .not sure how many.
My question is, what should i be taking to hospital for night  wear to wear in and out of hospital  etc..
Any suggestions is much  appreciated. .thank you xxx

Comments

• Megsie59
    Megsie59 Member Posts: 5
    I found front opening PJ tops with short sleeves very comfortable (try Sussan). Comfy, knit elastic waisted pants are also good (Myer intimate apparel dept had some in navy and grey which were great). You will likely be in a gown before and after surgery but they may shower you pretty much the day or second day after surgery and then it's nice to put on fresh clothes. You may have a drain in (I did but that was for a mastectomy) but you don't need special tops to accommodate that. I had a pair of soft slippers to walk around the ward once I was up, helpful if they have have a reasonable sole, non-slip. Air con may be a bit cool - I had a cardigan, again, front opening, but a nice shawl or wrap would do. All the best for your operation!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Take a thermos mug if you enjoy a cuppa. Hospital cups are dreadful and many now use cardboard. Ewww!  It's good to be able to make a cup of tea that stays hot, I'm notorious for prowling the wards at night looking for the kitchen.
    Front opening tops are the go as everyone seems to want to peer a your chest. Something with short or wide sleeves is best if you are in overnight and have a drip in your arm.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    http://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/preparing-for-surgery-and-recovery.html

Hey! This is a link has alot of information you may find helpful for preparing! Hugs Melindax
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    edited May 2017
    @melclarity has provided a great link - the best things I found to take were: a scarf/wrap to throw over your shoulders at night or during the day if you feel a bit cool; a medical sheepskin to lay on the hospital bed (and for when you get home)....really nice and comfortable; slippers; dry shampoo (for when your hair starts to feel manky!) and comfy clothes.

Good luck for your operation xx
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    @Hulos good work on shrinking your tumour,glad chemo was successful. In hospital I generally wore normal clothes. Front opening pyjamas were necessary. However every morning I would get up shower and change to normal clothes . I had drains for several days. I found i just needed to lift my loose fitting top for examination. 
    I wanted to be seen as normal, not a patient and wore jeans jumpers tee shirts cardigans etc
    I was lucky and was surprised how easy the process was. No it wasnt a bed of roses and yes I had some pain but overall It was okay.  Everyone is unique and different. Some ladies have geniune problems others dont.
    I had clear margins so was a very happy chappy. Best wishes hope things go well. 
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Hi @Hulos, I was out of surgery at 9.30 at night & up early morning for shower after mastectomy & 12 lymph nodes removed. I wore normal comfortable clothes too as there was a cafe downstairs so went there a lot & it was also good to be mobile so I got away with only 2 days of those horrible injections to stop blood clots. They gave me a bag to put my drains in so just put it over my shoulder & it wasn't too visible with a long cardigan. Best wishes for your surgery, another step forward!
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I just wore the hospital gown I had for surgery until I was ok enough to shuffle in to the bathroom and change and do my teeth and hair. Just soft casual wear and the top easy to open down the front. The one thing a lot of people forget is take the mobile phone charger if you are in there for several days. I was lucky I only stayed overnight with my single mastectomy so my battery didn't go flattery.
  • Hulos
    Hi everyone, it's  so nice to be able to chat with you lovely ladies.  All your feedback is much appreciated. I am going shopping to get couple of new nighties and will always remember all your helpful comments.
    I will be in a private hospital  for 3 nights (per dr) and will also have a drain in.. ..yukkkk
    I must say i am not looking  forward to out of pocket  expenses, especially the anesthesia...this group of drs are greedy....:(:(:(
    Thank you so much. :)
  • Glemmis
    Hi @hulos, I had my 2 surgeries at Strathfield Private & was out of pocket, not so much with anaesthetic but with surgeon. But then no out of pocket for chemo & oncologist at same hospital.   
  • Hulos
    Hi Glemmis, i will be at Strathfield Prv also. My chemo and onc was at Concord hosp and no out of pocket for that part :)
    I trust you were happy with the care and so much info needed for the admission paperwork ...
    Many thanks.,xxx 
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Hi to cope with lighting and excess noise ...eye mask and earplugs a must. All the best B
  • Glemmis
    Hi @hulos, yes very happy with the care & it was great knowing the nursing staff when I went for chemo. I see all my doctors there although my oncologist also works out of Concord.  
  • melclarity
    Oh I did too @brightspace LOL earplugs and eye mask :D Make sure you have rubber soled slippers or shoes if you go for a walk x
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    And a small extension chord for your charger - means you don't have to lean to get it x
  • melclarity
    Haha @nikkid i was about to say that particularly a charger lol x