Drowning in anxiety and fear

Options

Comments

• Anita.geary
    Anita.geary Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks nerinda,

i hope your journey has taken you to a better place emotionally now, anxiety really is debilitating. I will keep you in my thoughts and welcome the offer to contact you when in need of support as I hope you will me. Although I'm not to sure how helpful I can be just yet! Lol

• c.yeo
    c.yeo Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2015
    Options

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I too had a close friend who pass away a year after her diagnosis 3 years ago. That was my first encounter of a person I know (apart from my grandma who also likely had breast cancer but I was too little to understand then).  So I can somewhat understand your association with that. But I have since realised that each case is different and outcomes are different.

I too was scared and frighten when I was first diagnosed end of last November. I was incapacitated and could not do anything. Fortunately my husband is there for me, making drs appointments, taking calls, cooking, washing and also ordering the 'my journey kit'. I had to learn to take one day at a time (advice given to me by the ladies here) and not to think too far ahead. Not easy but it did really help me in those days. I did not settle down until my chemo started. I also got some meditation cd from cancer council which helped me a little.

Hope was what I looked for too. I shall always be grateful to my friend from overseas who wrote to me with hopeful stories of people we know.

I find that the drs don't like to say anything (eg early or not)  until they  get the results from the tests and scans. I don't think they are hiding anything. These are hard weeks but try to take a day at a time and not to think too far ahead.

Do take care and come back here for support.

C xx

• c.yeo
    edited March 2015
    Options

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I too had a close friend who pass away a year after her diagnosis 3 years ago. That was my first encounter of a person I know (apart from my grandma who also likely had breast cancer but I was too little to understand then).  So I can somewhat understand your association with that. But I have since realised that each case is different and outcomes are different.

I too was scared and frighten when I was first diagnosed end of last November. I was incapacitated and could not do anything. Fortunately my husband is there for me, making drs appointments, taking calls, cooking, washing and also ordering the 'my journey kit'. I had to learn to take one day at a time (advice given to me by the ladies here) and not to think too far ahead. Not easy but it did really help me in those days. I did not settle down until my chemo started. I also got some meditation cd from cancer council which helped me a little.

Hope was what I looked for too. I shall always be grateful to my friend from overseas who wrote to me with hopeful stories of people we know.

I find that the drs don't like to say anything (eg early or not)  until they  get the results from the tests and scans. I don't think they are hiding anything. These are hard weeks but try to take a day at a time and not to think too far ahead.

C xx

• c.yeo
    edited March 2015
    Options

C xx

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Everything.  It gives information, comfort, stories from other women, practical help on everything from account keeping charts to contact phone numbers.  When I woke up early, I used to read it - there are several books - with a cup of tea, and started the day much more calmly. Keep in touch and let us know how you are going.  Michelle xx

• c.yeo
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anita

I don't know if this help.   One of the things that help me was to write down the questions for the drs. I had questions as I was careful with what I read online. The unknown was what raised my anxiousness. I still write down questions/issues today to discuss with the drs. Once written down I feel I can put it aside. Of course it still play on the mind but I felt I will not forget to raise those issues with the drs and not be thinking about it all the time.

• c.yeo
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anita

I don't know if this help.   One of the things that help me was to write down the questions for the drs. I had questions as I was careful with what I read online. The unknown was what raised my anxiousness. I still write down questions/issues today to discuss with the drs. Once written down I feel I can put it aside. Of course it still play on the mind but I felt I will not forget to raise those issues with the drs and not be thinking about it all the time.

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anita, The kit that the ladies have been referring to is the 'My Journey Kit' - it is a free, comprehensive information resource for women newly diagnosed with breast cancer. It is easy to read and follow and alot of women say it put them at ease knowing they could refer to it when they were ready. You can order it online, or by phoning our offices on 1800 500 258.

• Daina_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

i jumped in and deleted the second post for you Ned7, Sometime we are quicker than the computer ;-)

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Anita:) I can feel a TINY bit of 'I can do this' creeping in to your post.And you can and will do it!!I am 59 and when I was told I needed a mastectomy,a year ago now,I was scared absolutely witless! Like you,I had never been in hospital,except to have my 3 children.I truly thought my life was coming to a quick end! Lol.I had a sentinel node biopsy,which is the test you are talking about.Its not at all,painful.I had a mastectomy,and it was surprisingly pain free(as all the ladies on here told me it would be!) and then I had chemo.Again,I was fine,and it was no way as bad as I had feared! When you have your treatment plan,don't be scared.Just come on here,and there will be many ladies that have been through the same stuff,and they will be able to tell,you just how it is.Big hugxxxRobyn
  • Anita.geary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Robyn. It is amazing how kind words from those who know can make things that little bit better x

• Daina_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Perfect instructions as usual Robyn W :-) It is best to keep your personal details private e.g. email address, telephone numbers etc. so if you do want to exchange private contact information your are best to do that through the 'Private message' function as Robyn explained above.

• MsD
    MsD Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anita, well you are on your way to beating this, scans are all just a routine part of it.  They can be scary but it is just your team  being thorough, then once they are all over, it rules out any doubt you have playing in your mind, and that's a good thing.. I was never in hospital other than childbirth too, but I was surprised at how easy it all went.  I was a 'bit' sore after surgery but nothing major and healed up very quickly.  You will be looked after very well and your doctors and nurses are there to help you along your way, all the way!  I have done chemo & radiation so feel free to ask for any advice at all.   You will come across little hurdles and that's all they are, life will go on and you will get through it.  We are here to support you whenever you need us.  Remember you can always call.  Hugs :-)))))

• Anita.geary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ann1e,

we shall be in surgery together lol.  i met my breast care nurse today and she has ordered me my kit. The more i hear others speak of it the less apprehensive I am feeling about it.  The women on here have been such saviours for me.  Yes it is scary but this community of support  makes it all a bit easier. I'd be happy to keep in touch as we take on our journeys if you would like. Otherwise I wish you and all if us much courage, health and good luck for the next 50 years! Xxoo

• Anita.geary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ann1e,

we shall be in surgery together lol.  i met my breast care nurse today and she has ordered me my kit. The more i hear others speak of it the less apprehensive I am feeling about it.  The women on here have been such saviours for me.  Yes it is scary but this community of support  makes it all a bit easier. I'd be happy to keep in touch as we take on our journeys if you would like. Otherwise I wish you and all if us much courage, health and good luck for the next 50 years! Xxoo