Drowning in anxiety and fear

Options
13»

Comments

• Tashie125
    Tashie125 Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I felt pretty much exactly the same way as you do. My world fell apart overnight and it seemed like I was living a nightmare! I have four young kids 1,3,5 and 7 at the time and I struggled to keep a straight face every time it looked at them. I had surgery and that week in between waiting for results will go down as the worst moment in my life to date. But once all the reports were in I felt I had a bit of control over what was about to happen. I did 6 rounds of chemo which I had to travel 1200kms each way, then did 7 weeks of radio so we relocated to perth so the kids could stay in school - just trying to keep things as normal as we could. So I'm still down to perth every three weeks as I am HER2+ but I am nearly counting down to the finish, 14 months from diagnosis - what a ride it has been - one I'm ready to get off! So know it gets better with time, the next part I look forward to is waking up and not thinking about bloody cancer. Happy to talk or chat anytime you need. Best of luck Tash xxx
  • gen_evievy
    gen_evievy Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dear Anita,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through this, and I totally understand how terrifying these first few weeks are.  I also had surgery to remove a 4cm tumour from my right breast, and I'm now halfway through my chemo with radiotherapy to follow.  The best advice I can give you is just take one day at a time and try not to worry about the things that you can't change.  Easier said than done, I know!  And take advantage of the fabulous resources and support networks out there - the kit is a fantastic source of information.  Try not to overwhelm yourself with research - it's very important to be informed but there comes a point in time when your head can't hold any more cancer facts and stats.  I found it really helpful to have a friend or family member read through the info and then tell me the important bits.

Be strong - you've got this!!!

• Anita.geary
    Anita.geary Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Thought id do an update as you have all been so great and I turkey feel that the feedback and encouragement has made a world of difference to me and my journey!

Today is day 13 since my diagnosis and day 7 from surgery, I had all my lymph nodes removed from under my left arm and a significant amount of my left breast. I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon on Monday to get the results and find out the next step, hopefully the margined are clear and no more surgery is needed as I am still in pain although I think that is more to do with the lymph node removal than the breast lump. The tube is still in which is gross but hopefully it can come out tomorrow, fingers crossed. I'm able psychologically to do the 'one step at a time' approach finally that that next step is what type of chemo and for how long.

The anxiety attacks have stopped but the fear has not gone away. I guess I am living with it a little bit better now and able to find more time in the days where I am not thinking about the 'what ifs'. This I take as a good thing, as everyone said it gets easier.

I have gad great support from family and friends as well as strangers from this site. Each so important to me and invaluable to my mental health! Unfortunately this is our own individual journey and it takes it's tole on our very basic psychological need of safety, life itself felt as though it was ripped from me but as I travel down this road and process the information given, I have begun to find my our feet and take what control i can thus making me less anxious and more positive. (Yes exactly what you all told me would happen! Lol)

A woman I know who is on the "other side" names us as 'gutsy thrivers' not survivors. I think I really like that, I picture myself in 12 months to be a different woman with a better view of life and what is important. I think I have already begun that transformation. I am strong and i will be stronger.

Thank you all so much for your support. I'm sure in the coming months I will need it again but for now I wish you all ongoing peace, strength and happiness.

Anita
  • shortlionruth
    shortlionruth Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'd like to say "Hello" to all you Ladies out there.  I know the anxiety you feel when you have been diagnosed with breast Cancer.  I was diagnosed 7 Months after my Mother died of the disease and was still grieving for her.  I had 2 ductal carcinomas and 1 invasive carcinoma and in 1 lymph gland and although I had conservative surgery I needed a wide excision.    I had Chemo and Radium and took Tamoxifin for 3 years and then Arimidex.  I am very happy to say that I I am still going strong 15 1/2 years later.  I also tested positive for the braca 2 gene and had my ovaries removed.  Two Months ago, under the recommendation of my Surgeon, I had a bi-lateral masectomy and have not looked back.  It has made.me a much stronger person and taught me to appreciate life and what it has to offer.  I would like to tell you that there is life after breast cancer.  All the best in your journies.  Lots of love, Ruth xxx

• Onga
    Onga Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well hello there Anita. Welcome to our group. One thing I have noticed all through this ordeal is the wonderful, caring doctors, nursing staff and others that you come into contact with. They are such special people and certainly go out of their way to make you feel better. Anita, you definitely sound a lot better now than you did in the beginning, I am so happy for that. It is a scary trip, but as you are finding out, it is incredible how many people come forward to help along the way.
    Stay strong
    Pam
  • Anita.geary
    edited March 2015
    Options

guys I am certainly more positive now than 6 weeks ago! Unfortunately I am writing this from a hospital bed as my white blood cells have plummeted and I've gotten myself an infection. I am still having anxiety but not nearly the same as when I first reached out and I have many strong and positive supports kerping me strong and positive. I am proud to be a part of women supporting women. We have such strength together xx

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh you poor love! Hope you are feeling better soon and get on top of your infection quickly.

You are so right! We do have strength together. I couldn't have survived the last few weeks without the love and support I have received from the wonderful women on this forum. Take care and hang in there

Karen xoxox
  • shortlionruth
    shortlionruth Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anita.  I hope the infection is clearing and that you are feeling a lot better.  I love this site because we understand what we are going through and can support and encourage each other.  I am also on the forum "anxiety and depression" and have met some lovely Ladies on there.  I did the "Relay for Life" on the Weekend and after seeing one of the Ladies there I was so greatful to be alive and sharing my journey..  Please take care and know that we are here for you.

• Anita.geary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for the well wishes, I am feeling a bit better but i am in hospital for a while unfortunatly,  the neutropenia is sticing around!  My levels have stayed at .2 for the last 2 days and I need to get to at least .8 and fever free for 2 days before I an go.  The fever seems to be here to sty also but at least it is not as high as it was.

The bigest challenge at the moment is tht they can only use one arm for a pin cushion due to the lymph node clearance.  I have terrible veins and everyone is complaining about trying to get blood or putting in a new canular.  My arm looks like a bruised and battered piece of meat and everytime someone comes towards me with a needle I start to freak out a little lol.

Wish I had of gotten into surgery to get my port put in before this happened but you have to roll with the punches and my body has decided to be a pin cushin instead!

Anita