Calling all Melbournites

Options
Janey235
Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
edited November 2016 in Community news and events
I would love to meet face to face with those lovely Melbourne ladies I've 'chatted' to online. I love this site but meeting in person would be even better.

I have been seeing some wonderful support groups for Pink Sisters in Perth, Adelaide, Tasmania, Queensland, NSW, and even the South East and Bayside group in Melbourne. I am from Northern Melbourne and I'd love to join the South East and Bayside ladies (sounds like you gals have fun) but unfortunately it's too far for me to travel. I have been thinking for some time now to form a support group for Melbourne women to perhaps meet once a month in the City area for a cuppa and a chat. I can travel in by train to Southern Cross Station and meet ladies wherever in the City. Would any Melbourne women be interested? If so, I'll start the group :)

Hope to meet you one day.

Love Janey xxx

Tagged:

Comments

• yetbeung
    yetbeung Member Posts: 167
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I live in St Kilda, & have been trying to find "Melbourne" groups on here, without much luck. The groups l've found are waaaaaaay out in the burbs ie. Frankston & that's a mission for me to get to!

I'd love to catch up with people in the city or surrounding areas...sign me up :-)
  • Carolynvj
    Carolynvj Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Janey,
    I would love to join your group. Even though I don't live in melbourne I travel every 3 weeks for treatment (herceptin) & will be having my 5 weeks of radiation in Melbourne all at Peter Mac.
    I stay in Preston when I am down too.
    If your group gets off the ground count me in whenever I can join you will be there.
    I am down next Wednesday till Saturday. Would love to catch up if possible then.
    By the way how are your ribs going?
    Take care, Carolyn x
  • Merlins mum
    Merlins mum Member Posts: 443
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I start Chemo tomorrow. Freaking out at the moment but I will be ok when the morning comes. Anyway I am on the beach in Port Melbourne and happy to travel to meet ups or host them here. Thanks Janey for your energy with this.

Julie
  • Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are five of us interested, including Ngaire (username Stemgirl) and I think that's nice to start with. Has anyone anywhere they know that you'd like to suggest? There is a cafe that's great for a lunch called 'The Vault' that's in the Batman's Hill Hotel (see the link http://www.batmanshill.com.au/facilities/restbars.cfm). It's not too big and the food's reasonably priced. You can have lunch, a drink and coffee all for under $20. It's also diagnally opposite Southern Cross Station so it's easy to get to. I've only been there a couple of times but it is pleasant. But I'm open for suggestions :)
    I think that December may be a no goer now because everyone will be busy with Christmas or getting well. So what do you think of January for a starter. What days suit everyone? I can do any day during January and we can discuss each month when we meet. How does this sound?

Now most importantly, what do you think our name should be?

I am really looking forward to getting this off the ground.

Love Janey xxx
  • Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a bad chest cold which is not helping my ribs at all. That's why I'm suggesting we start in January. I don't want to risk giving this to any of you. I was also scheduled to have Herceptin at Peter Mac this Friday (and ongoing until May) but I'm postponing it to next week due to my cold. I don't want to take my germs into the CTU heaven forbid. If you let me know when you will be there next week, we could perhaps meet for coffee :)
    Cheers
    Janey xxx
  • Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Still love your photo :)
  • Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope you've got you popcicles :) and let us know how you get on.
    Hugs to you
    Love Janey xxx
  • Carolynvj
    Carolynvj Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Janey,
    I will be at Peter Mac on the 18th for an echo at 10 & then back there again on the 20th beginning at 8.30 for physio, then onc appointment, then Herceptin. Maybe we may see each other on one of those days..?
    I will be in Melbourne for all of January as I gave radiation so any day will suit me. Other than that all my treatment is usually on a Friday but am in Melbourne either Wednesday night.
    So glad you have suggested this too Janey.
    Hope you get over your cold soon too.
    Look after yourself & hopefully we can all catch up soon. xx
  • Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It may be likely that I will have my Herceptin on the 20th too. Don't know yet of course. Will let you know. X
  • Merlins mum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am back in Melbourne from the 9th jan

Venue good for me too.

Julie
  • Merlins mum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yep in the chilly bin and ready to go. (Esky)
    :)
    Julie
  • Merlins mum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well no where as bad as I feared so far anyway. Ate icy poles ( yet another name) had the freezing gloves for the Taxotere bit and apart from looking a bit pale, all good 4 hours later! They were lovely and very responsive to any concerns or needs.

Bring on the next 3 weeks!

Julie
  • Merlins mum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well no where as bad as I feared so far anyway. Ate icy poles ( yet another name) had the freezing gloves for the Taxotere bit and apart from looking a bit pale, all good 4 hours later! They were lovely and very responsive to any concerns or needs.

Bring on the next 3 weeks!

Julie
  • Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Glad to know your chemo went well today. Take care with the next few days. Drink plenty of water and rest.
    Love Janey xxx
  • Merlins mum
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Love Pelligrinis also. But think it is in Bourke st unless I went to a different one.
    Cheers. Julie