Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Secondary breast cancer

Options

Comments

• Gaylene
    Gaylene Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Although its a group we all wish didn't need to exist.
    Yes positive attitude goes a long way. Glad to hear that things are stabilizing for you, and the pain is under control.
    I have been living with Mets for two years and try to not think about it too much. Though I was recently diagnosed with brain mets as well so life has been a bit hectic for the last month or so. But now at the typical wait and see stage. Which is when life goes back to our new normal.
    Yes it's not curable but many people live with life threatening diseases for many years, we will be no different. And it's amazing what new treatments are found every day.
    Glad to have met you.
  • Deb F
    Deb F Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You give me hope that I can actually do this, thank you. Xxoo
  • LLS
    LLS Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think I echo Gaylene's thoughts in welcoming you to this group while acknowledging that it is one to which we all wish we didn't belong. Nevertheless welcome and I hope that the group helps with support, information and a place to chat with others with similar experiences. I was diagnosed 5 years and don't often talk about it. I had been working part time up until July when I fell and broke the neck of femur. Fortunately this was not the mets deciding to become active again, just clumsiness combined with a slate floor and a bit of bad luck. Well done on being at work full time and I am pleased to hear the pain is under control. Be kind to yourself and maintain your hope.
  • Pink66
    Pink66 Dragonfly Posts: 366
    edited March 2015
    Options

Totally loving your outlook especially when you are only 4 months in.  I too am sorry to have to meet here in this group.  Pain free is a very good way to be whilst living with this disease.  I had EBC in 2004 (38) and now ABC since 2012 (46 and I work on minimising it every single day.  I am so very glad that your onc has a good outlook and it is a way better and yes, there are many things they can try to stabilize us.. and I wish you the best outcome xxx. It is certainly a new kind of normal.. 
    Sharon

• Pink66
    Pink66 Dragonfly Posts: 366
    edited March 2015
    Options

Totally loving your outlook especially when you are only 4 months in.  I too am sorry to have to meet here in this group.  Pain free is a very good way to be whilst living with this disease.  I had EBC in 2004 (38) and now ABC since 2012 (46 and I work on minimising it every single day.  I am so very glad that your onc has a good outlook and it is a way better and yes, there are many things they can try to stabilize us.. and I wish you the best outcome xxx. It is certainly a new kind of normal.. 
    Sharon

• Claireabelle
    Claireabelle Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Catcrazy I'm 35. I've only recently joined this group. I really liked what you had to say too. It is the best thing to hear of people with hope. We too are still trying to come to terms with the idea of it being incurable but swing between putting it "aside" and ignoring it and then floundering. Hearing peoples positive stories is so strengthening and whilst I know we can't compare and know everyone is in a different position fit doesn't hurt to hope xxxx
  • max1ebob
    max1ebob Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

It must be so hard for you having young children, I have a 20 year old daughter who is finding it hard to deal with, let alone younger children who really might not have learnt coping skills or can fully comprehend what is really going on, except for your 14 year old. I am thinking of you

• max1ebob
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow you sound amazing, I know what you mean about others living with life threatening diseases, that how I have been thinking. I know have a chronic condition that needs to be monitored and managed is what I say to myself. I am so sorry to hear that you have brain mets, this must be hard to digest, thinking of you.

• max1ebob
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am so glad, you have made my day if I can give hope to someone then that is great. I believe everyone needs to hold onto hope, thats the way I look at it, there are always new things coming out, my oncolgist stated to me if my next scan shows any increase of nodes in my lungs then he might treat me with a new treatment, dont know what it is yet, but Ill be in that  

• max1ebob
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am glad to hear that the mets have not become active, I hope that you have healed properly. I am thinking, well my body is telling me to go part time which I will be doing very soon. Thanks for your reply, I have been getting alot of messages, this is a very supportive group, it will take my days to reply to everyone, wow

xoxoxox 

• chrismelb
    chrismelb Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You are doing so well for just 4 months in. After 4 months I started to have a breakdown about the enormity of it all and being single with a 13yo. Well done you.
    What treatment have u received to stop your mets? It is amazing all the treatments we have. Also what sort have you? Oestrogen positive /negative? HER-2 pos/ neg? I am triple positive. I have bone mets in most places u mentioned in bones and in liver. I have bone scan and CT tomorrow so will be interesting to see how I am going after 18 months of ABC. I had early BC in 2003.
    Keeping smiling
    Christine
  • chrismelb
    chrismelb Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do they never acknowledge us in pink October? It is just the 'pretty' stories that are put out there. So frustrating as we are pushed to the background. Sorry but it is just so annoying.
    Take care all
  • Deb F
    Deb F Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Totally agree. All we here about is the pretty stories, not the messed up shit! I almost feel like I'm supposed to sit quietly in the background so the 'success' stories can bask in the limelight. And before anyone gets on their high horse, I totally agree that there is no limelight in having cancer. But not everyone gets the fairy tale. I wish we did. I wish we got the recognition. I started as the fairy tale, and I thought my battle was done, clear margins, clear nodes, the whole shebang and here I am 18 months later trying to figure out how to tell my 11 & 13 year old kids the whole story and how my husband will pay our mortgage and support the kids if I die in the next 12 months (like they told me). Messes with my head, big time and I'm only 2 weeks in!
  • Klea
    Klea Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2015
    Options

I too am a recent member of this awfull club, I have bone mets and yep they get sore so good on you fo rmanageing it so well, Ihave been told it can be a long chronic managed condition  so I have beleieve that for me it just has to as I have a young daughter too and yes treatmens are getting better and more effective . So hang in there  and go girl

• Klea
    Klea Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2015
    Options

Im hearing you girls too re october sucess. I feel rotten as I am jealous. I went straight to secondary and didnt even get the chance to do the first fight!. This makes me angry yet i know its crazy as this anger gets me nowhere but it is what it is . I too live in fear of my beautifull girl who is 8 losing her mum. This really stinks.