Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Secondary breast cancer

Options
max1ebob
max1ebob Member Posts: 13
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi this is my first blog,

I have been living with mestatic breast cancer for 4 months now, well that is when I found out that the cancer had spread to my skull, spine, pelvis, ribs, throat, chest wall and 2 weeks ago I was told that it is now in both my lungs.

I am still working full time, now that the pain has been managed, it's amazing the treatments they have out now, I thought I was going to be bed ridden with the pain.

Though I think the best medicine is having a positive mind, faith and HOPE.  I know there is no cure for my cancer now, but there is always HOPE as new treatments are coming out that will prolong my life. I could still be around for many more years to come, well I am going to be around for many more years to come, that's better thinking.

I praise the Lord for helping me with his courage, spirit and wisdom.

Comments

• francesca_maree
    francesca_maree Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2015
    Options

I hope this finds you well. Such horrible news, but we can live, and live well with this terrible thing. After four months the news will still be very raw. I can imagine how you must be feeling.

Where abouts in the country are you?

• lynnemh
    lynnemh Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to the group max1ebob. Sorry to hear that it has spread so far. A positive mind is a great help in this journey with cancer. Freedom from pain is also wonderful!

I found out that I had metastatic breast cancer two weeks after my initial diagnosis in 2011. I am living a full and happy life and know other ladies that have been around for many years with secondaries. Hopefully you will too. Lynnemh 

• lynnemh
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to the group max1ebob. Sorry to hear that it has spread so far. A positive mind is a great help in this journey with cancer. Freedom from pain is also wonderful!

I found out that I had metastatic breast cancer two weeks after my initial diagnosis in 2011. I am living a full and happy life and know other ladies that have been around for many years with secondaries. Hopefully you will too. Lynnemh 

• lynnemh
    edited March 2015
    Options

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,

Firstly, glad to meet you but sorry you have to join the 'advanced' club. I love your positive thinking, it is just what I need to hear at the moment. I am 39 and have mets to lungs and bones after having my initial breast cancer only 11 months ago. I have only just dealt with - well actually still dealing with the fact that this damn thing is 'incurable'. I have been sewwping everything under the carpet and not thinking realistically. But you are so right, this condition can be managed and positive thinking is definaitely essential here. Glad to hear you are still working, that is fantastic. it's strange, sometimes I think unless we were actually told we had advanced cancer physically we wouldnt know, we just kepp on keeping!. I look forward to talking again. Luv Natalie xxx

• Sun
    Sun Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome. You will find much support and relevant information on this site. It's such a shock to be diagnosed with mbc and you wouldn't wish the diagnosis on anyone. I hope that your treatment continues to work for you and that you are free of pain for a long time. Good on you for being able to continue to work full time. I have tumours in my spine and liver and due to the pain in my back had to give up the job that I loved. I am enjoying retirement though and do something special each day as I know that this wretched disease can cause a sudden decline in health. The power of prayer and being in the moment, together with love of family and friends and good food for the body and soul can do wonders to lift the spirit. Sue
  • francesca_maree
    francesca_maree Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Natalie

I am 37, and was 35 when diagnosed. Was also secondary at initial diagnosis. Seems to be common with us younger ones.... :-(

Positive thinking is great, but you need to let yourself greive and be sad, too, when it's necessary. It's a hell of a thing to be told you've got an incurable disease, and you don't need to be strong all the time. We're all here to pick you up when you fall in a hole.

Frances

• max1ebob
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am beginning to realise this, 3 months ago one of the registered stated to me there is nothing more we can do for you but manage your pain, I left the cancer centre feeling so discouraged. I have now seen my proper oncolgist who has given me much hope with options of other treatments to try and stabilise the cancer from spreading further. I have much hope now and I am very positve, I am also taking herbal teas that have really helped me with my movement, etc as well. Thanks for your post, I live in NSW, ST Marys   

• max1ebob
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, you sound like an amazingly strong woman, I am so glad you messaged me. You have had to deal with so much in such a short time. Yes it can be managed, just to encourage you, my last scan two weeks ago, came back with mildly less promident in two sections of my skull, less promindant in my thoraic spine, stabilised in my pelvis and rest of spine. The lesion in my chest wall had halved its size. Although this is not curable we need to stay positvie and fight this battle together, there are treatments that can help us stablise and manage our pain, each one of us is individual and remember if you are not happy with your treatment plan then dont be afraid to speak to someone else. I was getting no where and then when I spoke up my treatment starting happening and look at the last result.  Stay positive and stay strong, easier said then done, but I alread know that you are strong by your post  .   

• max1ebob
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much for your advise, although I am positive I do have though dark days and do need to grieve properly. I think I have onl let myself cry three times since I was diagnosised.   

• max1ebob
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow, about the same time I got my diagnosis, how are you coping? I am so glad to hear that you do not feel alone any more. It is hard when friends and family do not fully understand the emotional, physical and spiritual change that we face. So Happy that you are feeling supported.  

• gorgita
    gorgita Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am 41. Found out four months ago, stage iv from the get go. Am devestated
  • Cat18
    Cat18 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm coping, thankfully I have dark moments now not dark days, and I think my brain has gone into protective mode and doesn't let me dwell too much on it but I also have 2 boys 7 & 14 who need a functioning mum, I refuse to give in to this disease but also my initial early bc diagnosis was nearly 3 years ago so I guess I had some processing time previously, I also regularly talked to a counsellor at the cancer council when I was first diagnosed who helped me learn some coping mechanisms
  • Cat18
    Cat18 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm coping, thankfully I have dark moments now not dark days, and I think my brain has gone into protective mode and doesn't let me dwell too much on it but I also have 2 boys 7 & 14 who need a functioning mum, I refuse to give in to this disease but also my initial early bc diagnosis was nearly 3 years ago so I guess I had some processing time previously, I also regularly talked to a counsellor at the cancer council when I was first diagnosed who helped me learn some coping mechanisms
  • Gaylene
    Gaylene Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Although its a group we all wish didn't need to exist.
    Yes positive attitude goes a long way. Glad to hear that things are stabilizing for you, and the pain is under control.
    I have been living with Mets for two years and try to not think about it too much. Though I was recently diagnosed with brain mets as well so life has been a bit hectic for the last month or so. But now at the typical wait and see stage. Which is when life goes back to our new normal.
    Yes it's not curable but many people live with life threatening diseases for many years, we will be no different. And it's amazing what new treatments are found every day.
    Glad to have met you.