Silly things people have said to you

Options

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Bowen Therapist assures me that her treatments could not have made me that unwell so we are all running with an infection that this poor unrelenting body of mine (doesn't matter that is is old and weary it just keeps fightiing) was and has currently managed to fight off.

Hope you are well my luvly.

Lots of love always to you and yours,Mich xoxo

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank goodness that whatever it was, it has gone now Mich.  You certainly are a fighter.  I am so glad that all is okay.

I have my 6 month checkup at the oncologist on Monday - had all the bloods done this week.  If all is well, will progress to 12 monthly, so fingers crossed.  Feeling a bit twitchy as the bones have been aching a lot lately - but maybe it's the new treadmill that I can't program properly yet!

Will let you know how it all goes.  Lots of love back,  Michelle xxx

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

I will be thinking of you Michelle.  Good luck and it will be good to move to 12 month reviews.  Another step in your progress to recovery.  I see my wonderful caring and compassionate NOT!!!! onco for the last time today and hopefully we can find someone with a bit more finesse who I can see.  Maybe I can progess out from 3 months to 6 months after today.  Fingers crossed all round for us and anyone going through a progression process soon.

“Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.”Joshua J.Marine

Lots of love always, Mich xoxo

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh you'll be ok, really how the hell do you know! that one really gets to me. You look fantastic, no-one would guess you have cancer. so minimal hair, no eyebrows and dark circles under my eyes all look normal.

One of my dearests friends said 2 weeks after my kidney removal, you shouldn't still be in pain, it was just a kidney. OMG, I had a major organ removed, how long did she think it should take.

But really I understand these people do not understand and do not know what to say, I much prefer the friends that say, I don't know what to say but I wish you well!

cheers

Donna

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh you'll be ok, really how the hell do you know! that one really gets to me. You look fantastic, no-one would guess you have cancer. so minimal hair, no eyebrows and dark circles under my eyes all look normal.

One of my dearests friends said 2 weeks after my kidney removal, you shouldn't still be in pain, it was just a kidney. OMG, I had a major organ removed, how long did she think it should take.

But really I understand these people do not understand and do not know what to say, I much prefer the friends that say, I don't know what to say but I wish you well!

cheers

Donna

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Viv 

I relate to that one.  Kind of like funny things people say and in our case don't say.......

Someone who was supposedly "my best friend"  lives two houses up from me.  I haven't heard from her since the day I was diagnosed.  My hubby goes in to the hardware that her husband works in and they will talk about anything like hammers, nails, chook poo, anything but never once has he even asked hubby oh by the way how is Michele.

People, you just wonder sometimes. I just think to myself oh well their loss cause I have lost nothing and gained the knowledge that she wasn't a friend worth having after all.

You just move on and don't bother to give those people the time of day.

Lots of love, Mich xoxo

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

Whilst i do get the postive outlook and saying soothing to myself; i must admit it is not helpful when people respond to asking how i am and then i get told to 'say excellant'' --there is quite a bit of pressure to be 'excellant' ; cant imagine anyone with a heart attack etc being told that postive thinking is somehow essential to the outcome! 

• mona63
    edited March 2015
    Options

Whilst i do get the postive outlook and saying soothing to myself; i must admit it is not helpful when people respond to asking how i am and then i get told to 'say excellant'' --there is quite a bit of pressure to be 'excellant' ; cant imagine anyone with a heart attack etc being told that postive thinking is somehow essential to the outcome! 

• Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wednesday was second day at work with no wig. Going for a break a young, male Asian co-worker says to me, "Cherry (can't pronounce my name properly) what do you call that haircut?" I reply, "very short". He says to me, "oh, is that a style?", "yeah!" I reply as I walk away. Cheryle :)
  • Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wednesday was second day at work with no wig. Going for a break a young, male Asian co-worker says to me, "Cherry (can't pronounce my name properly) what do you call that haircut?" I reply, "very short". He says to me, "oh, is that a style?", "yeah!" I reply as I walk away. Cheryle :)
  • mona63
    edited March 2015
    Options

I must admit i have noticed women, whilst im in a public area,  around my age with very short hair, or scarves and i wonder about cancer and send blessings...

• skarch33
    skarch33 Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015
    Options

I must admit that so many comments rang so many ways. I realised that we make a huge effort and put a lot of energy into 'presenting' ourselves when going out to work, shops, social things or whatever and people do say "You look well" if they can. It has me starting to answer now "Yes I look fine and am getting my energy back BUT. . I spend a lot of time resting at home and there are still many things I can't do that I thought I would be able to do again now. So. .I'm 'getting there' slowly" I often have to take a step back myself and say 'stop and look after yourself'

Often you don't think of things to say until you are back home. I don't want to tell my story to everyone who asks and after all these months I'm sure many are sick of overhearing any explanations.

And I also find myself looking at other women with the short, grey hair and sometimes we exchange a look -you can tell if it is a little nod of acknowledgment "yep -been there, best wishes" with no words said -a tiny spiritual connection in the world to help us!

Also had a friend say 'I'm joking but I wish I could have had all that time off' -and now I realised that all of us here have been having cocktails and massages on some tropical island (boy I thought it was just yukky chemo and radiation -got my facts wrong there!) -ahh ya gotta laugh!

Smiles to all :) Sue

• skarch33
    edited March 2015
    Options

I must admit that so many comments rang so many ways. I realised that we make a huge effort and put a lot of energy into 'presenting' ourselves when going out to work, shops, social things or whatever and people do say "You look well" if they can. It has me starting to answer now "Yes I look fine and am getting my energy back BUT. . I spend a lot of time resting at home and there are still many things I can't do that I thought I would be able to do again now. So. .I'm 'getting there' slowly" I often have to take a step back myself and say 'stop and look after yourself'

Often you don't think of things to say until you are back home. I don't want to tell my story to everyone who asks and after all these months I'm sure many are sick of overhearing any explanations.

And I also find myself looking at other women with the short, grey hair and sometimes we exchange a look -you can tell if it is a little nod of acknowledgment "yep -been there, best wishes" with no words said -a tiny spiritual connection in the world to help us!

Also had a friend say 'I'm joking but I wish I could have had all that time off' -and now I realised that all of us here have been having cocktails and massages on some tropical island (boy I thought it was just yukky chemo and radiation -got my facts wrong there!) -ahh ya gotta laugh!

Smiles to all :) Sue

• skarch33
    edited March 2015
    Options

Had a great one the other day. My 2IC at work was handing out the 'Tea money' bill -$60 for the year if you are full-time.  I have been off work for 2 1/2 Terms and she handed it to me ans said 'You may not have to pay the whole thing. I think you've been away a bit??" Now you'd think that as a Year 1 teacher the Deputy may have noticed I wasn't there!! I just walked away and cracked up laughing. So now some other colleagues are laughing with me -'Did you enjoy your tropical island? We thought you'd been missing a little..."etc Oh deary me!

• skarch33
    edited March 2015
    Options

Had a great one the other day. My 2IC at work was handing out the 'Tea money' bill -$60 for the year if you are full-time.  I have been off work for 2 1/2 Terms and she handed it to me ans said 'You may not have to pay the whole thing. I think you've been away a bit??" Now you'd think that as a Year 1 teacher the Deputy may have noticed I wasn't there!! I just walked away and cracked up laughing. So now some other colleagues are laughing with me -'Did you enjoy your tropical island? We thought you'd been missing a little..."etc Oh deary me!