Friday Update (On Thursday!) - 28th March 2024

Options
Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
edited April 19 in Community news and events

Hi everyone,

It's a Friday Update on a Thursday! 

I deliver you an early Friday update as the BCNA office will be closed over the Easter period (5:00pm tonight, and will re-open on Tuesday 2nd April at 9:00 am) . Remember the Online Network is always here to help and you can request the Helpline team to call you back when we reopen by filling out this Form

For information and resources about breast cancer, you can access our website https://www.bcna.org.au/resource-hub/

Wishing you a lovely Easter and however you mark the occasion, I hope it is with joy. 

Take care.

Community Highlights

March Activity

March so far has seen 72 new discussions; 542 new comments and 15,913 visits to the community.

Popular Forum Discussions 

If you have missed some of the most active discussions in the last few weeks, you can check them out via the links below:

Posts by 'Category Name' March 2024

Community News

Election commitments fall sort to fix lack of access to public diagnostic mammography in Tasmania

BCNA has been long been advocating for improvements in access to public diagnostic mammography in Tasmania Read Further Details Here

STUDY: Fear of Cancer Recurrence among First Nations people with Breast Cancer

Findings from the first study on fear of recurrence among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Dr Kate Anderson from the University of Queensland, said many in the study worried about their cancer coming back or getting worse. “I think (better information) would have helped me a lot, because I felt like I was on my own and I was feeling this on my own” ­– from the study.

You can read the full study via the link Fear of Cancer Recurrence among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer

Volunteer for Pink Bun campaign

Amazing opportunity to support your local Bakers Delight to raise funds in support of BCNA! Check out the volunteer opportunities in your state and if it sounds like something you would like to be part of, please apply Volunteer for Pink Bun campaign

Check out the short video from last year's campaign: https://youtube.com/shorts/lR7cUGAu48Y?si=urg8l559M7S5p1Bk

Research (Medical Xpress) 

Interesting research coming out of the UK. Scientists have discovered how breast cancer cells can "hibernate" to avoid treatment and "wake up" years later causing a relapse that is more difficult to treat. 

Research uncovers how to target 'sleeping' breast cancer cells and prevent relapse 

BCNA Forums/Webcasts

BCNA is coming to Tasmania as part of our free national Information Forum series. We are bringing leading experts to events in Devonport on Tuesday 30 April and Hobart on Thursday 2 May to talk on a range of breast cancer topics.  

Our events are for anyone who has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer or who is living with or after a breast cancer diagnosis, as well as supporters. 

REGISTER FOR DEVONPORT HERE
REGISTER FOR HOBART HERE

Event details for Devonport and Hobart: 

Date: Devonport Tuesday 30 April; Hobart Thursday 2 May  

Time: 9.00am for 9.30am start – 3.00pm  

 Refreshments will be served on arrival from 9.00am and a light lunch will be provided.  

Paranaple Convention Centre, Market Square, 137 Rooke St, Devonport
RACV Hobart Hotel, 154-156 Collins St, Hobart

RSVP: Tuesday 23 April 

There will be two information sessions held each day – one for people with early breast cancer and one for people with metastatic breast cancer. Please register for the appropriate session for your diagnosis.   

If you can’t attend in person, you can join us online. When registering, select ‘Information Forum – Attending Virtually’. The virtual session will be delivered via Zoom, and you will receive the access link one day before the event.  

If you require any assistance, please contact events@bcna.org.au   

 We look forward to seeing you in person or online! 

Books/Movies/TV Series/Documentaries

As Lymphoedema Awareness Month comes to a close I thought I would share Pia Jorgensen's talk at BCNA's Bunbury Information forum:

https://youtu.be/pKsMwDmF6gY?si=TLLixMx5EjmGdXPp

Hope you have a lovely weekend and if you have any feedback please feel free to comment below or send a private message. 

The Mod Team - @Pat_BCNA @Mez_BCNA @Daina-BCNA @Kate_BCNA @Denise_BCNA @Risha_BCNA @Georgie_BCNA

If you wish to speak with the Helpline team regarding your concern, please call 1800 500 258 Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm (AEDT), alternatively you can email helpline@bcna.org.au 

"It doesn't cost me anything to be kind". - Paddington

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,589
    Options
    Exciting news re hopefully killing or keeping the dormant ER+ cells 'dormant' .... 'specially for ILC members - as it is well known for recurring after 10, even 20 years ..... 

I hope they make it a priority .... and get it into the healthcare system soon!   It may even lead to help in other cancers too ...